Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Header recommendations?

Old 01-02-2006, 03:10 PM
superuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Header recommendations?

1999 Cobra engine, looking for header recommendations. The guy who worked on installing the Maximum Motorsports suspension in Maryland will probably help me with the install, along with a new throwout bearing and clutch, but we need to get all the parts together first.

Have Sean Hyland equal length long tubes which are too difficult to work with and personally hate the slip-fit type of design. Was considering Sean Hyland's mid-length long tube headers because they seem to clear the Lakewood scattershield bellhousing the best and still give me some benefit of low end torque. Shorties are not gonna be considered.

Anyone who has seen me drive knows that I beat on my car hard. Really hard. Need to be able to get to the clutch rather easily because I go thru them pretty regularly. Heat is a concern as well, so either Jet-hot coating (preferred) or header wrap would be needed.

When back on the road again, I'll post up a pic of me parked inbetween a row of police cars.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:12 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: Header recommendations?

Pics of header, tranny, modified oil pan, k-member
Old 01-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Hooker Longtubes. They still allow clutch changes while still on the car. Since you are selling the car, Flowtech are pretty much the same headers as Hookers and made by them, but thinner material and cheaper. 16 guage verse Hookers 18.

I thought PAS had you taken care of?
Old 01-02-2006, 06:17 PM
MoltenMetalFuzion

GoldenLeg13 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Hooker Longtubes. They still allow clutch changes while still on the car. Since you are selling the car, Flowtech are pretty much the same headers as Hookers and made by them, but thinner material and cheaper. 16 guage verse Hookers 18.

I thought PAS had you taken care of?
Isn't 16 gauge thicker than 18? Or am I having a stupid moment?
Old 01-02-2006, 08:21 PM
superuser

Bassani mid-length installed, stock transmission without a Lakewood on a 1996 Cobra.

Old 01-02-2006, 08:39 PM
Banned

LOCO is an unknown quantity at this point

let me drive the car again lol. one o the most fun cars I have ever driven, until I had to put gas in it, which was 5 min after I got into it lol
Old 01-03-2006, 03:24 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Originally Posted by GoldenLeg132003
Isn't 16 gauge thicker than 18? Or am I having a stupid moment?
I just looked my Flowtechs are 18.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:59 AM
superuser

Everyone I've spoken to that has experience with the Hooker headers and Bassani mid-lengths say it's pretty much a toss up, but for ground clearance, the Bassani mid-lengths can't be beaten. With 850# H&R springs up front and still sparking up on I-195, it's certainly a concern. Performance differences appear to be minimal.

Bassani uses 14 gauge but also a 2-1/2" collector and I have a 3" pipe from collector (thru burnt cats) to mufflers now. Not sure if I should reduce that. After the Borla mufflers, it's 2-1/2" stock over the axles then 3" tailpipes. Keeping the exterior looking stock is a must for me.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:26 AM
thermal efficiency

J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS

Originally Posted by Not Stock
Keeping the exterior looking stock is a must for me.
yes, especially with your undercover plates.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:42 AM
superuser

Keeps people wondering.

Quick Reply: Header recommendations?