Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Exhaust Shop

Old 01-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Slow as Shit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow
Default Re: Exhaust Shop

Originally Posted by Not Stock
For intakes, the mandrel bends help. For 3" exhaust, mandrel bends aren't going to do much and few places can handle 3" piping. Mine was done at Hendrick's shop northside, no mandrel bends in the exhaust for me. Call ahead and make sure they have enough as it is not a commonly asked for size.

Roy's Hendrick's Muffler Shop
(804) 639-9711
1700 Hull St
Richmond, VA 23224

Roy Hendricks Muffler Shop
(804) 282-2857
6309 Horsepen Rd
Richmond, VA 23226
I also vote for these two shops and recommend them. Used them on my car twice and the ex's LS1.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:54 PM

ONECAM has disabled reputation

well, i do have a turbo, and i would like mandrel. anyone know any shops in richmond that will do it?
Old 01-30-2005, 02:49 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

If you want mandrel bends in a custom exhaust setup and are price conscious, may want to consider pre-fab mandrel bends then have them welded to custom length pipe. A good shop with a good welder will be able to cut down on the exhaust flow over the welds for max throughput.

If you have custom mandrel bends done, be prepared to pay out of every orifice you have. Money much better spent elsewhere on the engine. The actual performance gains on a small car jumping from 2" (guessing that is what you have now) up to a larger size (minimum 2.5" with 3" crush bends, 3" with true mandrel bends) may not be as much as you'd imagine. Sure, you're gonna get better exhaust flow, but can your setup gain more than 5% performance from about 50-100% more cost? Your money...
Old 01-30-2005, 03:38 PM
Patron

Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune

Originally Posted by ONECAM
well, i do have a turbo, and i would like mandrel. anyone know any shops in richmond that will do it?
Go to diamond muffler and buy 90 and 45 degree mandrel mild steel bends in 3" You will need about 4 of each to be on the safe side. They are 13-15$ a bend. Then get 6 feet of 3" straight pipe. Should cost you no more then 150 in material. You can get someone to weld it up for $100 to $150. Total cost about $300 for a custom true mandrel exhaust.

I know of a very good welder that can do it for ya...mig or tig whatever you prefer.

If you want polished 304 stainless it will be more $$. For that you would go to Hajoca off bells road. Its about $25 dollars a bend and you can only tig weld that......still alot cheaper then burns stainless.

But whatever you do spend a little more money on mandrel then that garbage crush bent stuff on a turbo car might as well just stay stock and save your $$ then going crush bent. Its all bout flow on a turbo car....both on the intake and exhaust side.....especially on the exhaust side

Last edited by Terry@Fortune; 01-30-2005 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:55 PM

ONECAM has disabled reputation

i appretiate all the help. I actually dont have any exhaust on the car now, i had custom coach start a dp off the flange i had and it only goes infront of the engine, like maybe 8 in. total.
and i was also wondering what i should put in the exhaust. i mean as far as resonators and muffler. I was thinking about a high flow cat and a muffler of some sort. anyone have any suggestions on that? I also considered a high flow cat and a just s resonator, no muffler. I just want it to flow as best it can while being quiet enough to drive on the street.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:23 PM
semicolonD.net

eclpsed eclpsed

honda, you should put in a cat, thos 1.x motors are total ass sounding w/o a cat in them....at least a hi-flow cat, something...please dont do just pipe and muffler va cops will be all over you if you go pipe/muffler only.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:23 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

3" high flow cat (hollow out or let it burn up running a rich a/f) to stay somewhat legal as it could be a very expensive ticket on the street. Picked up mine new for $50 each. I prefer Borla XR-1 since they don't drone but as some board members might attest, my car is still very very very loud (318 cu in with equal length long tubes, burnt cats, and 3" all the way back with Borla XR-1 mufflers). Dump the exhaust past where you sit or you're gonna get a lot of heat and noise in the cabin.