Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Dominion Power offering $40 rebate, install switch

Old 02-17-2011, 05:16 AM
superuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Dominion Power offering $40 rebate, install switch

Dominion has a $40/yr rebate offering for installing an outdoor switch that cycles an ac heat pump during summer and it's only offered in limited areas. If it's light is red in color that means that it is "cycling" during a power event. You can press the button to override 2x/yr and still get your rebate.

http://www.dom.com/dominion-virginia...ng-rewards.jsp

Posting up the info for those interested in Central where it is offered primarily in Richmond city and southside. Not offered in Henrico/West End.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN
Default Re: Dominion Power offering $40 rebate, install switch

I used to get a $4/month credit for having a similar device on my water heater. Shame they discontinued that program because it never affect me. I'll look into this, but I'm not too keen on it. I use a programmable thermostat and keep the house at 80 during the day. I have scheduled to start cooling at 4 so that the house is cool when I get home...not sure how this program would affect the recovery time.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

It will drastically increase cool-down time and make the house warm on the weekends during the hottest part of the day when you are home.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by IMSHAKN
I used to get a $4/month credit for having a similar device on my water heater. Shame they discontinued that program because it never affect me. I'll look into this, but I'm not too keen on it. I use a programmable thermostat and keep the house at 80 during the day. I have scheduled to start cooling at 4 so that the house is cool when I get home...not sure how this program would affect the recovery time.
BGE in Maryland has $6.25 credit for 8 months per year for the hot water heater one, also getting that one installed at my house in Maryland, along with a Honeywell web-programmable thermostat that they will provide (with $200 credit first year, $100 for each o next 4 years).

Originally Posted by Frost
It will drastically increase cool-down time and make the house warm on the weekends during the hottest part of the day when you are home.
Weekday afternoons in summer are the only affected times with 2 allowed overrides per year. Any more manual overrides and no credit issued at the end of September's bill. Seems like a decent program, or at least a start for one.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:05 AM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

Which will in all likelyhood will shorten the life of the unit, and since it's running longer may cost you more in power usage in the long run despite running in off-peak hours.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
Weekday afternoons in summer are the only affected times with 2 allowed overrides per year. Any more manual overrides and no credit issued at the end of September's bill. Seems like a decent program, or at least a start for one.
Nice to see the weekend is excluded.

This may well still cost all owners more than it saves. It's to help the power company during peak time though, not to help the power-customer's wallet. The power company suffers more line losses when load is high. Those losses are theirs.

Why not just use a scheduled stat?
Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 AM
superuser

Not really. The cycling thing is max'd at 4hrs and uses far less energy since the whole purpose if to reduce consumption during those events. You are right that it would use more power after the event to "catch up" to cool the house to preset temp.

My neighbors in MD has had it for 4 years, they've never noticed any change at all, his wife works from home, too.

Figured I'd post it for those looking to reduce their bills.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 AM
superuser

Originally Posted by Frost
Why not just use a scheduled stat?
i use one of those already. the incentive in MD was far greater, plus i can check it online and reset or override as well as program the scheduled thermostat. great when i have to scoot at work and be gone for a week at a time and forget to dial it back.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:02 AM
liquor&cheeseburgers

Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy Big Sexy

These things cause the windings in the condenser fan motor and compressor to burn up. Im not sure why yet b/c I'm not the best service tech but we see it a lot. Changing a compressor costs way more than the cunt hair of money you'll save installing one.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:43 AM
Registered Member

IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN

Originally Posted by Big Sexy
These things cause the windings in the condenser fan motor and compressor to burn up. Im not sure why yet b/c I'm not the best service tech but we see it a lot. Changing a compressor costs way more than the cunt hair of money you'll save installing one.
Since the program is just starting, how could you be seeing a lot of repairs due to this device? And if you're not sure why they are causing the failures, then how do you know that these devices are the cause? I would give your statement more credibility if you could connect the dots.

Quick Reply: Dominion Power offering $40 rebate, install switch