Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Anyone have a plasma cutter?

Old 12-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Chicks dig my viper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juan Ehnch Dong has disabled reputation
Default Re: Anyone have a plasma cutter?

Originally Posted by Not Stock

More people here have a sawz-all and they could hack it off with a metal cutting blade if necessary, rather than using a time consuming hack saw. Less people have a 2" cutting wheel, which would have been ideal. Even less have a porta-band which is very difficult to use under a car. The parts did not need to be cut off the car, so it was a moot point.

Grinding is essential to straighten the cut edge, unless you are holier than God and can slice metal with precision. Finishing is necessary to finesse the edges as a grinding wheel is not too precise either.

My advice is posted. You can take it or leave it. Didn't see you post anything constructive in the thread to help the person who was asking for it.
First off, he didn't ask for advice. He asked for a plasma cutter, which should have been your first clue that the tips weren't on the car. Unless of course he's dumb enough to operate a plasma cutter next to his bumper cover.

Second, I did post advice, it was to ignore your shitty advice. Just because the right tool would be hard to find is no excuse to fuck the job up with the wrong tool.

Admit it, you posted half cocked and didn't have a fucking clue. Typical, the only thing you left out was one of your homo analogies.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:16 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Thumbs down Re: Anyone have a plasma cutter?

I think your previous other posting sums up your entire personality as all of your other posts lack any positive content.
Originally Posted by Juan Ehnch Dong
You need a viper like me, it does wonders for your self esteem.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Chicks dig my viper

I think your previous other posting sums up your entire personality as all of your other posts lack any positive content.

Its ok, you don't have to say you're wrong and give poor advice. Its obvious to everyone.

Its ok people fuck up there cars, at least you contributed.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:08 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Question Re: Anyone have a plasma cutter?

No one is dumb enough to use a plasma cutter under their car. The tips were off the car, so he didn't need to cut them off with a sawz-all or cutting disc.

Poor advice? I suggested he use an angle grinder or cutting disc, then Dremel to finish if he wanted.

He used a cutting wheel (probably like my 2" air powered one) in his shop. Harbor Freight is a great resource for such tools, air powered and electric for cutting tools, grinding tools, discs, and wheels.

Not sure how you think that Phil was going to fuck up his car.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:46 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

He used a cutting wheel (probably like my 2" air powered one) in his shop. Harbor Freight is a great resource for such tools, air powered and electric for cutting tools, grinding tools, discs, and wheels.

I was hoping to borrow the cutter, but had use of a cutting wheel at the shop. Saved me the trip to harbor freight to buy one The tips are done and back on the car since wednesday.

BTW you can use a plasma cutter on the exhaust while on the car. Just depends on where and how careful you are..been there, done that.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Chicks dig my viper

No one is dumb enough to use a plasma cutter under their car.
Smoke too much weed in college? You seem to suffering from short term memory loss. Lets refresh:

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Ok thanks. These tips are off the car for now.
My plasma cutter is a bench mount design used much like a router top-mount for cutting plate steel. Up in Maryland with the rest of my biggie tools. You're not gonna wanna hold that monster under your car!
Originally Posted by Woodrow
The tips are OFF the car. Just another reminder...lol.
You were dumb enough to think of using a plasma cutter under the car next to the bumper cover.

The tips were off the car, so he didn't need to cut them off with a sawz-all or cutting disc.
Now you're starting to get it, a little slow but you'll get there. Let's not forget YOU suggested the sawz-all and whether or not it was on the car has nothing to do with how terrible of an idea it was. Being under the car would only have compounded the issue, then again you were the only one under the car.

Poor advice? I suggested he use an angle grinder or cutting disc, then Dremel to finish if he wanted.
Let me say it again, you could not cut anywhere near a straightline through that pipe, meaning you would have to do so much fucking grinding you may as well not even bother with the sawz-all. Yes poor advice.

As he should have, good thing he didn't follow your advice.

Am I supposed to be impressed that you know air tools exist? Does that make you competent now? Hardly. That last statement pretty much verifies, Harbor Frieght sells pure junk. If you want something that works more than once, I suggest you avoid the "quality" tools they carry.

Then again, you wouldn't know the difference.

Ok, then I will repeat myself again. He would fuck his car up by following your shitty advice and using a sawz-all.

This is not the first time you have opened your mouth when you didn't have a clue. Matter of fact just about every car related tech question I've seen you answer has either been wrong or totally unhelpfull.

At least you contributed.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:08 AM
Patron

Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune

Damn
Old 12-11-2004, 10:35 AM
life is good boosted

wheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to all

I'm not sure I'd be that bitter if I owned a Viper.....well, maybe I would......but I'd just change the wheels on it and feel much better.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:51 AM
Patron

Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune Terry@Fortune

Originally Posted by wheelman
I'm not sure I'd be that bitter if I owned a Viper.....well, maybe I would......but I'd just change the wheels on it and feel much better.
lol
Old 12-11-2004, 09:55 PM
superuser

Arrow Re: Anyone have a plasma cutter?

I'm picturing "Juan Ehnch Dong" reading DramaVa like a retard staring at his reflection in a spoon.

Phil did not need a plasma cutter for his project. I stated that my plasma cutter was not a hand-held type, it was a bench mount type used for cutting plate steel (up to 1/2"). No one would use that under a car.

The purpose of using a sawz-all is to cut things. Used properly, it is effective but there are better things to use -- such as a cutting disc and/or grinder. I suggested using those, and offered that I use a 2" cutting disc. Phil also likes to have his car kept fairly clean (mine is always dirty). Cleaning up the tips with a dremel tool was also suggested.

Again, the tips were off the car, so there was no need to cut them off with a sawz-all, grinding wheel, cutting disc, a butter knife, or whatever.

I surely know the difference among the quality of tools. At $20 for a generic sawz-all, Harbor Freight is tough to beat. For some reason, I though Phil already had one from there. They also have great deals on pneumatic fittings, compressors, air tools, and other items. Not everyone can afford to stock Snap-On in their garage. Then again, no one seems to complain when they bring over their computers, borrow my any of my tools, tow their cars, meet them on the side of the road with a jack and spare tire, or pull them out with tow cables...

Last edited by Computer_Nerd; 12-11-2004 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: Anyone have a plasma cutter?