Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Anyone done or is doing LED taillight mods?

Old 02-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Out of mind, BRB....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drake69 has disabled reputation
Default Anyone done or is doing LED taillight mods?

Curious if anyone has done this or is currently working on their taillights to add LEDs to them. I picked up a set of JZ taillights (darker tint lenses) for my MKIII and have been checking around for ideas on what/how to do 'em. I can monkey wrench fine, but wiring/electrical work escapes me. I figure on a couple of circuit boards, miles of wiring, a boatload of LEDs (or a couple rows of LEDs in a string), and six taillight adapter plugs (2 for brake lights, 2 for running lights, and 2 for backup lights).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB3SA8IVnow
Old 02-12-2010, 04:14 AM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost
Default Re: Anyone done or is doing LED taillight mods?

You have a Supra and you want to put your money towards tail light LEDS? Really??

Old 02-12-2010, 04:34 AM
Classified Moderator

Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby

Originally Posted by Frost
You have a Supra and you want to put your money towards tail light LEDS? Really??

lol unless he has upgraded everything else....tail lights need LEDs final transformation.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:57 AM
piss'd n miss'd

mdeserteagle45 mdeserteagle45 mdeserteagle45 mdeserteagle45 mdeserteagle45

I have to agree with Frost somewhat... I do like the way the tails look in the video, but I think for now the money/time could go to something a little more important....Like bringing it back to earth...That skyjacker stock shit isn't cutting it....How is that exhaust? The car sounded real good the last time I saw it...
Old 02-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

Yeah, I *LIKE* the car, I just haven't ever been crazy about rice mods
Old 02-12-2010, 06:15 AM
Out of mind, BRB....

The JZ taillights were a gift from my wife for Valentines anyway, but IF I do it, it would be long since I've done everything else, like the full engine restoral (ALL belts, pulleys, gaskets, pumps, etc... replaced), metal HG and studs, full suspension refresh including ride drop, LSD gaskets in rear (slow leak driver's side diff), air/fuel mods (like SAFC, 550 injectors, Lexus AFM, fuel pump), new Alt, Optima bat, boost controller, etc.

I'm still systematic about what I'm doing, just throwing out ideas and such. And the exhaust? ROCKS (no tickets for noise so far, knock wood). With the pick-up power I've gotten so far, she can be mean to handle at flat start and WOT. I also found out that my rod knock sensor cabling is bad, more-than-likely causing my code 52 (as in NOT the sensor itself). I've got bypass cables to put on that go directly to the ECU, and if it IS the cabling, it'll take the ECU out of "limp mode" (retarded fuel eco, acceleration, other stuff that degrades the engine performance). If that's the case, she'll really perform (difference is like night-and-day I've heard).

In addition to the suspension stuff (including bushings, suspension bars, etc...), I may gut out her steering system and replace it with one from an '89+ MKIII. The newer models got rid of the "wobble" effect under loads and wanderlust in the lanes. As it stands, I keep a steady hand on the wheel now, especially if I have to accelerate when merging and stuff. I'll also need to dump the damn 18" rims and go back to my sawblades 'cause those widebody tires are crap. No tread left on 'em (previous owner), won't pass inspection, EXPENSIVE to replace.

And a paintjob at the end. Not going to mess with her bumpers, I don't like ANY of the fiberglass crap out there, especially the damn tails.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:20 AM
Out of mind, BRB....

Originally Posted by Frost
Yeah, I *LIKE* the car, I just haven't ever been crazy about rice mods
And you know what? You're exactly right. It damn-well DOES look like rice. It is too showy, and that's NOT what I'm trying to do.

That's it, I get smacked. At least I'm not trying to be "JDM tyte".

(...don't mention the tails tho, the newer ones really DO look better IMHO than the pre 89's...)
Old 02-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Registered Member

hottscennessey has a spectacular aura abouthottscennessey has a spectacular aura abouthottscennessey has a spectacular aura about

That's Tekdeus' car from supramania.com. He has a lot of time in the taillight modification. You'd be best to contact him directly since that modification is one-off.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...verview-thread
Old 02-12-2010, 07:15 AM
SLOWWWWW B5

yung_wallace has disabled reputation

the tail is not plug an play?
Old 02-12-2010, 07:18 AM
piss'd n miss'd

mdeserteagle45 mdeserteagle45 mdeserteagle45 mdeserteagle45 mdeserteagle45

I really like your car because it isn't "riced" or trying to pull off a "JDM tyte" look.... You have a clean car that performs well with whats done to it...And every owner has something they want to do to their car that maybe borderline "rice" regardless if it's a japanese car or not...That's why you have people to put you back in check..LOL!!! Rice belongs on the dinner plate, not on your car.... You going to starbux tonight?

Quick Reply: Anyone done or is doing LED taillight mods?