Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

advice about DMV

Old 08-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Grrrrrrr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigCheese has disabled reputation
Default advice about DMV

I'm new to VA and the insurance rules in CO are a little different. I bought a civic about 6 months ago. I put liability insurance on it and registered it.... After about 2 months I decided to take it off the road, take my time and build something nice. Because of how long the car was going to be off the road I did not bother to continue with the liability ins. I got a letter in the mail saying either prove the car had insurance on it as of 08/01/2006 ( which it didn't) or pay 500 bucks to DMV and get an SR-22. Now I"ve never been in an accident, had a speeding ticket, DUI, not even a faulty equipment ticket. I don't mind paying the 500, but is there any alternatives? What if I sell the car? Has anyone else ever been through this?
Old 08-28-2006, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

thehollowkrew has disabled reputation
Default Re: advice about DMV

yea the 500 dollars is the uninsured motors fee. yea, our state is pretty gay.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

You HAVE to turn in plates BEFORE you cancel insurance... Write a letter that the car has not been on a public road since the date insurance was dropped and neither has it been in any kind of accident at all and get it stamped by a notary public.

I've had DMV's own errors drag me into a BUNCH of shit over this law TWICE now.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:48 AM
2004 Danceoff Champ

Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy

What probably happened is that you took the insurance off but you didn't turn in your plates to DMV. As they see it your car is registered and you are able to drive it but you don't have insurance on it. So, either pay the $500 bucks or spend 9.99 on some KY and grab your ankles.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

The first time, plates were stolen off my CBR. I went to DMV and stupid bitch was like, "what do you want me to do, I'm not the police, I can't find your plate" So I say no fucking shit, don't you need to mark them stolen? She's like "that's not gonna help you get them back" and again, NO FUCKING SHIT I'M NOT AFTER AN INVESTIGATION... make a note of it or whatever the fuck you people do...

3 months later I sell the bike. I get pulled over for a U-turn that I shouldn't have made like 4 months later and the cop asks me why I'm driving with no license... My remark... I'm sorry officer, I could have sworn that piece of plastic with my pic on it that says Virginia driver's license that you took was, in fact, a license. Being as I've NEVER had a ticket, I can't really have anything of the sort going on here. The only way to straighten it out under this STUPID MOTHERFUCKING FUCKED UP LAW is to go have a notary lie for me (how the fuck could she know when it was sold, whether it was ridden, etc) to get me straight.

Later on, I sold a truck, TURNED IN THE FUCKING PLATES and the title stub but the guy didn't register it for 6 months... Guess the DMV wiped their ass with the plates and stub, cuz after this time suspending my license, a manager at the DMV called me a liar over this shit... He said there is no way in hell that I turned in EITHER THE PLATE OR STUB, because he KNOWS that his employees would have done what they should have with them.... back to the notary for more signed lies.

FUCK VIRGINIA DMV AND THE APATHETIC DOUCHE's THEY HIRE.

Last edited by Frost; 08-28-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Grrrrrrr!

BigCheese has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=Frost;2438861]You HAVE to turn in plates BEFORE you cancel insurance... Write a letter that the car has not been on a public road since the date insurance was dropped and neither has it been in any kind of accident at all and get it stamped by a notary public. QUOTE]

Who would I take this to at the dmv?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Stuff n Stuff

240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee

I still have the signed un-dated title for my project car from like 4-5 months ago, and I am still terrified to step foot in the DMV for fear of the shit that might be unleashed. I refuse to pay insurance for a car that currently is stripped to the chassis.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

mugenator3000 has disabled reputation

if it's registered it must have insurance,right?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:19 AM
Stuff n Stuff

240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee

I guess, the thing is, I don't really want to register it, lol, right now it's not even a car almost. I just want to transfer title, no plates, no nothing, and then register it when it's driveable. But I have a feeling thats not how VA works....
Old 08-28-2006, 10:21 AM
has a huge dong

VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER

Originally Posted by 240trainee
I guess, the thing is, I don't really want to register it, lol, right now it's not even a car almost. I just want to transfer title, no plates, no nothing, and then register it when it's driveable. But I have a feeling thats not how VA works....
you can do that, but you are still going to have to pay the 500.

Quick Reply: advice about DMV