Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

Z31 300ZX Project

Old 09-09-2014, 06:11 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02
Default Re: Z31 300ZX Project

So... after having it up for sale for a couple months and getting no interest, I decided to keep it. I'm thinking my price scared people off, and I'm not willing to drop the price just to get rid of it. So instead, the parts I had for it are going in. Started labor day weekend, finished most of it this past weekend. Still need to tweak my tune because of the new cams and heads. Also took pretty much no pictures because I was more busy doing work.
I'll bullet list it, keep in mind this was all done over this weekend and last weekend, with a major push last night...
- Pulled the engine and put it on a stand.
- Tore it down to basically just a short block.
- Removed entire power steering system from
- Converted an 88 Turbo rack to manual and installed it in the car (88T is a faster ratio than what I had)
- Installed my OWO heads with the cams and stuff with a new set of OEM head gaskets.
- Powder coated my lower intake manifold in a high temp bronze metallic.
- Installed the rest of the bits and pieces to the block (manifolds, timing stuff, etc)
- Dropped engine back into the car.
- Fiddled around with timing (took a few tries to get the distributor in at the right position, started 180 off, then 1 tooth off in either direction for a couple tries).
- Listened to the sweet lopey idle while it was at 600RPM (need to bring it up to the stock 900-1000RPM).
- Parked it so I could clean up and sleep as it was midnight by now.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Don't quit!

Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia

Keep up the work man, don't lose focus
Old 10-09-2014, 05:35 AM
Registered member

jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02

I've fiddled with it a bit since then, but nothing big. Sand blasted and powdercoated valve covers and put those on. Bent a piece under the car a bit that was rattling on the exhaust. Adjusted my tune a bit (found out I had forgotten to adjust the load scale on the timing map) which has it driving much better. A lot more peppy in the bottom end now and pulls through boost more smoothly.

Grabbed a video of the idle and a few revs. http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/...psty4weapr.mp4
Old 01-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Registered member

So just a small update. Put on one of the ASCO relay box stickers this weekend. For those that might care, those stickers are always destroyed or missing. I have yet to see a Z31 that had one in good shape. One of the vendors that tries to make stuff for the platform recently released a reproduction of the OEM sticker.

I also installed a Delrin bushing on the passenger side of the steering rack that came from a guy on Facebook. On the first bit of testing it seems to have fixed the side to side slipping I had (as he claimed it would). Didn't take any pictures of that, as it's kind of hard to see where it is.

Also have something more interesting coming, which I'll give more details on if USPS ever gets around to delivering it.

Last edited by jaqattack02; 01-19-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Registered member

Snapped a few pics of the new intake now that it's back from being modified. Planning to try to get it powdercoated and installed this weekend. From an 200SX SE V6 (S12).

And a quick one with the top plate on it. This has already been powder coated.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:43 PM
Don't quit!

Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia

Are the runners bigger or whats the reasoning behind using this part?
Old 01-23-2015, 05:29 AM
Registered member

No, same size runners. The main reason I'm using it is for space.I currently have issues with the stock plenum being in the way of my FPR (pretty much can't access it without removing the plenum). This should also let me shorten my piping from the intercooler just a little. I'm also theorizing that it may reduce turbo lag just slightly because this has a smaller volume, so it will take less air to bring it up to pressure. But I'm not an expert, that's more of a guess.

It's also a fairly rare part, they didn't make many S12s with this engine. So it's something to help stand out when I take it to car shows.

Also, for comparison, here is how it looked before it got modified and cleaned up.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:17 PM
Registered member

I forgot to mention it's also more free flowing. The inside is open besides the vertical "columns" where the mounting bolts go through. The old one has a bunch of curvy passages and stuff to route air evenly by bank and cylinder. It works pretty well on non-turbo cars but gets in the way for boost.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Registered member

Got it installed yesterday. Ended up making work for ourselves that we weren't expecting.

First some disassembly shots.

While we had the throttlebody off Kevin decided he wanted to clean up the unused fittings on it.
Before

After

Here it is mounted for mocking up all of the vacuum lines and throttle cable before we started powdercoating it.

This is where we discovered the extra work we made for ourselves. Apparently we got over enthusiastic with the marker when we were marking what we wanted our fabricator to remove/fill. One of the things we had him remove ended up being the mounting bosses for the bracket for the throttle cable. So we ended up having to make our own. We used a piece of scrap steel and one of the brackets off of a Z31 plenum.

The smooth area just behind the throttle cable hook up should have had some mounting points.

Here is what we came up with, prior to powdercoat.

After powder, with the cable hooked up.

Here is the final product with the piping hooked up.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:51 AM
Registered member

philipxedge philipxedge philipxedge philipxedge philipxedge philipxedge philipxedge philipxedge philipxedge philipxedge philipxedge

I remember seeing this for sale on another forum, as well as craigslist if i'm not mistaken, I just got done reading the entire thread, and damn I wish i could take out engines that quick ahah, I would not know where to begin, but im glad to gain some knowledge, I rather have torque than horses anyhow, I would definitely fuck with a z,

Quick Reply: Z31 300ZX Project