Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

Trying out a new CAI on the Z06

Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Trying out a new CAI on the Z06

Decided to go with a Halltech Venom this go around. This is my 3rd air intake... first I had a BPP vortex rammer for 4+ years, then I put a C6 K&N on the car last year for the carbon fiber, but I sold that setup when I was putting my car back to stock. Now I've decided to keep and re-mod it. I like mods that look like they could be an OEM option and I think the Halltech accomplishes that the best. Plus, the install is simple with no cutting and the Z06's air screens will deliver all the fresh air it will ever need to make power. Lastly, the Venom moves the MAF location just fore of the throttle-body like the C6 does, supposedly this allows a more accurate MAF reading.

Stock intake

Halltech installed

Relocated MAF

Big arse filter

Next mod... new headers.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:47 PM
SG

C16EFSedan has disabled reputation
Default Re: Trying out a new CAI on the Z06

Holy Airfilter Batman!! B!tch is huge!!
Old 06-09-2009, 12:01 PM
formerly Black_Man

Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken

Originally Posted by C16EFSedan
Holy Airfilter Batman!! B!tch is huge!!

+1. what kind of power increase do you gain from these normally?
Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by Black_Man
+1. what kind of power increase do you gain from these normally?
Typically changing out the stock airbox is worth ~10 rwhp, but it of course compliments other mods like a cam and headers etc. I had put my car back mostly to stock and was considering selling it, but have decided to keep and re-mod.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:09 PM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

MAF, TB setup looks just like the SS now.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Fanboi

Originally Posted by travisnd
MAF, TB setup looks just like the SS now.
How can that be? It's not chrome.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:20 PM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
How can that be? It's not chrome.
hehe, we can chrome those brackets that connect the MAF and TB like mine!

Looks good though, except for the white nose!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:22 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

That's the same one I have, pricey for an CAI but so were all the others. Does it hit the heat insulator? Mine has a nice little impression now. When I first put it on kinda made the hood close tight until it made the impression in the heat insulator.

Mine came with the vortex rammer, but the install was sub par to say the least. The installer should have measured twice and cut once instead of vice versa. It had to go.

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 06-10-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Fanboi

I had a Vortex Rammer w/ the clear box and I took the stupid stickers off. It was a very nice looking setup and functioned perfectly. It's all in the install though... if you cut poorly then it'll look like crap.

I don't have a hood liner on the DRM hood, but the stock hood I'm putting back on does and I'm sure it'll hit... they all do. Even the stock one hits most of the time.

Did you have any issues w/ the car running lean at WOT w/ the relocated MAF? I'm haring that I should have my tune checked for WOT afr with the MAF moved. I'm not sure why, but I have a PM in to Ed at VaSpeed who tuned my car.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:07 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Mine has never been tuned prior to or after the installation. I'm waiting to do some more stuff before I get it tuned. I don't hear any pinging or detonation at WOT. Maybe it is, may it's not lean, I really have no way of telling. Mine is all stock though, no heads and cam like yours. Your set up may be more critical. It's not throwing any codes, so I guess all is good enough.

Quick Reply: Trying out a new CAI on the Z06