Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

Murdered out '66 C10

Old 11-20-2011, 04:39 PM
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Murdered out '66 C10

It has been a while since I have posted any build threads, mostly because we have been slammed ass busy. To start with, I am the owner of Protocol Automotive, a repair shop in Floyd, VA. I am NOT soliciting business; this is a build thread for a forum member who will chime in when he feels like it. This is simply an informative build thread showing what was done to his vehicle.

This truck belongs to a volunteer firefighter, and over the last few years he has been learning the love of old Chevrolet trucks. He purchased this ’66 with intentions of doing it as a slow restoration himself; however after deeper looking he realized the depth of the rust damage on this truck. Suffice it to say, it was realized that the amount of metal replacement needed would be way beyond the typical home garage restoration.

This is the truck the day it was dropped off. We found out many things on this vehicle during the stripping process, which is the part I love the most in a restoration. Why? The reason I LOVE old vehicles and equipment is they have a story to tell. You just have to pay attention and it will tell you everything you wanted to know, and then some, about its life and times.

As you can see, there are many bits of rust on the exterior, and the trim removal was started by the previous owner. Most of the trim and brightwork was gone, and due to the costs of obtaining correct trim that looks good on the truck, the decision was made to shave it. And by shave, we got rid of everything except the door handles. Trim, rocker molding, emblems, and even the antenna was removed.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:40 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: Murdered out '66 C10

We began with removing the cab, since we knew the floor pans and cab mounts would have to be replaced. The cab sat 2” lower on one side due to this, and a previous owner had attempted to make on-truck replacements of the mounts out of thin gauge sheetmetal. Well, obviously this did not work…..

Before any work begins here, we get every part as clean as possible. On this particular vehicle, the best stripping method was 3000psi water at 250 degrees. Wet steam has incredible paint removal abilities while minimizing metal damage, and with a little aircraft stripper on stubborn areas, we had the cab down to bare metal in a few hours.

Once the cab was off, we took to redoing all of the floor pans, rocker panels, and cowls.

The door bottoms were replaced, unfortunately with aftermarket pieces that were not rolled the same for the interior, but that problem was solved with a custom made door trim panel that cleaned it up nicely.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:41 PM
The Pro to call.

We continually mounted and demounted the cab to verify the measurements, and to make sure fitment stayed right. This is why having a forklift comes in handy.

Originally we were going to do just cab metal work, but we started looking at the bedsides that were “just fixed” before he purchased the truck. I dug down ˝” of filler and still had not found metal yet….Time to replace the wheel arches. It took a full day of using a blasterwheel to remove the body filler, and then we fixed the repair correctly.

After the metal work was completed, the long, tiresome process of bodywork was started. Thankfully, the metal work was done with pretty strict standards, and the amount of filler needed was minimal. A week later, we had the truck in its first few coats of K36 High Build primer. The truck was guide coated and hand blocked till it was straight and smooth, then the pieces were rolled into the booth for paint.

The owner wanted to go with a satin black, and I suggested doing a white top to break it up a little bit, plus the fact that the solid flat black fad was getting a little played out IMO. I also decided to shoot it with a little different technique, which resulted in a more satin finish than flat.

Once painted, we assembled the truck and did a bunch of upgrades. Mostly they were functional, such as the safety upgrade of installing a dual reservoir master cylinder and relay controlled headlights, but some were cosmetic. The hidden relays, horn, fan controller, and wiring is one example.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:41 PM
The Pro to call.

That is when we decided to have a little impromptu photo shoot done of the truck after it was completed. We met up with Chris Mills and headed toward some old buildings for this set.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz 1daktchplz

Holy shit thats awesome, great work too. Its nice to see some people still do things like this
Old 11-20-2011, 04:48 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Not a fan of the white top but I respect the hell out of the work put in. Good job
Old 11-20-2011, 04:49 PM
The Pro to call.

Stay tuned for more.......This truck is pretty much done (still lacking a few minor details and the tailgate to get finished) but I have 3 more restoration jobs going that will be out in the coming months.

I've been all over the state picking up jobs, as of right now I am booked solid till June of 2013....
Old 11-20-2011, 04:57 PM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

.Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge.

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
Stay tuned for more.......This truck is pretty much done (still lacking a few minor details and the tailgate to get finished) but I have 3 more restoration jobs going that will be out in the coming months.

I've been all over the state picking up jobs, as of right now I am booked solid till June of 2013....
Happy to have shot this truck, I cant wait to do some more.

Also glad that my car (while not a restoration) is in your capable hands. Cant wait for it to come out and hit the track.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:00 PM
The Pro to call.

Originally Posted by .Sarge.
Happy to have shot this truck, I cant wait to do some more.

Also glad that my car (while not a restoration) is in your capable hands. Cant wait for it to come out and hit the track.
And I can't wait to not have such a gay looking car sitting on my lot
Old 11-20-2011, 05:03 PM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

.Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge.

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
And I can't wait to not have such a gay looking car sitting on my lot
Yeah... about that. But seriously, this is an awesome build that I didnt realize exactly how far the truck had come.

I'll message you about ultimate future plans for my gay del Slow.

Quick Reply: Murdered out '66 C10