VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Gallery (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-gallery-87/)
-   -   Chevy brings back the El-Camino? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-gallery-87/chevy-brings-back-el-camino-459147/)

Will Sol 12-07-2012 04:12 AM

Chevy brings back the El-Camino?

http://jalopnik.com/el-camino/

We were burned before. The Pontiac Sport Truck was set to come to the US in 2009 only to have Pontiac die, killing the El Camino project as well. Now a local Australian newspaper claims ‘the pickup with an ego' is coming back. Oh please give us that sweet El Camino dope again.

Yes we're junkies ad we are fiending for the thinnest hint of an El Camino coming back to the US. And this news report is pretty thin.

The article "Holden ute finally bound for US" appeared in Adelaide Now today with no hard evidence that the RWD Holden is indeed coming stateside.

In fact, the paper got clear denials from Holden spokesmen. "We haven't made a decision on the next generation ute or its presence in export markets outside Australia." When the paper pointed out that GM renewed the Chevrolet El Camino trademark in August, the spokesperson replied, "any speculation on the trademarking of the El Camino name is just that - speculation. However we are keeping our options open."

There is nothing here that says the Ute is "finally bound for the US." We are still hitting that pipe, though.

The article points out that the US and Australia have a free trade agreement that lets GM skip out on paying the typical 25% import tariff for light commercial vehicles like utes. We would also point out that Holden (and the whole domestic Aussie car industry) is on the brink of death and could use all the sales volume it can get. Moreover, the G8 is coming back as the Chevy SS, so another stretch to the ute isn't out of the question.

We don't care how GM makes it happen. Just bring back the practical mulletmobile we know and love. We'll do anything, please!

jarrett2k 12-07-2012 04:14 AM

Re: Chevy brings back the El-Camino?

Fucking disgusting.

Will Sol 12-07-2012 04:19 AM

You dumb... The Holden Ute would be awesome to bring to the states.

I would love one.

Jones 12-07-2012 04:19 AM

If they come out with one that has an LS series motor, so picking one up.

Will Sol 12-07-2012 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jones (Post 8010836)

Yup...

Dough_Boy. 12-07-2012 04:33 AM

No thank you.

Scotty_Nooo 12-07-2012 04:42 AM

You lost me at Chevy...

-JB- 12-07-2012 04:48 AM

eh.

Hey car, stop trying to be a truck. Or is it hey truck, stop trying to be a car, you are not a car you silly truck/car

Scotty_Nooo 12-07-2012 04:52 AM

Yeah I mean the Chevy SSR was such success I guess they had to try it again :beat:

buugiewuugie 12-07-2012 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Scotty_Nooo (Post 8010846)
You lost me at Chevy...

Pointless post is pointless.

It's amusing to me that people write off a whole line of vehicles based on a name or a single vehicle from the lineup. I owned a Cobalt. Hated it. It was a piece of shit that was falling apart at 60k miles. Doesn't mean the brand as a whole is shit.

Also, I love the Ute.

Dough_Boy. 12-07-2012 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by buugiewuugie (Post 8010858)
Pointless post is pointless.

It's amusing to me that people write off a whole line of vehicles based on a name or a single vehicle from the lineup. I owned a Cobalt. Hated it. It was a piece of shit that was falling apart at 60k miles. Doesn't mean the brand as a whole is shit.

Also, I love the Ute.

I somewhat agree. But when you come out with a new car and it rates worse than your own car you're replacing with it, you're doing something wrong. The trucks keep getting uglier and uglier and the cars are about the same. Minus the vette, I think that's the only one that the looks are improving.

buugiewuugie 12-07-2012 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dough_Boy. (Post 8010869)
I somewhat agree. But when you come out with a new car and it rates worse than your own car you're replacing with it, you're doing something wrong. The trucks keep getting uglier and uglier and the cars are about the same. Minus the vette, I think that's the only one that the looks are improving.

I mean I agree on the looks. But have you ridden in one? It's like a Cadillac. My uncle just bought a 2013 Chevy. It was the only domestic brand that had a 4 door w/ a long bed without going Heavy Duty, which was needed to haul his Harley. The amusing thing was the Ford Harley Edition only comes with a short bed.

PhillyLS1 12-07-2012 05:54 AM

The Ute coming to the US has been a rumor in the LSX community for 11 billionty years.

shawn22 12-07-2012 05:59 AM

It'll never sell over here.

Lord Humongous 12-07-2012 06:03 AM

I'd buy one with an LS motor...perferably the one that's in the ZL-1

Iroc-Boost 12-07-2012 06:10 AM

The UTE sells really well in australia. As does almost every Holden car. Problem is that when they did the G8 it didn't even come with the top interior that holdens come with. Not sure why GM does this and would probably be the same thing if they did bring it over here. But the cars do look good for what it is.
http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/20...er-623x389.jpg

And they are talking about the top of the line holdens getting the LSA. THis one already is available with it.
http://performancedrive.com.au/wp-co...R8-630x442.jpg

Lord Humongous 12-07-2012 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Iroc-Boost (Post 8010929)
The UTE sells really well in australia. As does almost every Holden car. Problem is that when they did the G8 it didn't even come with the top interior that holdens come with. Not sure why GM does this and would probably be the same thing if they did bring it over here. But the cars do look good for what it is.
http://stwot.motortrend.com/files/20...er-623x389.jpg

And they are talking about the top of the line holdens getting the LSA. THis one already is available with it.
http://performancedrive.com.au/wp-co...R8-630x442.jpg

I like that white one

Iroc-Boost 12-07-2012 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lord Humongous (Post 8010931)
I like that white one

Yea, Why GM has not brought this car over is dumb but they will just fuck up the front end with a huge bowtie and fuck up the body lines.

RandomTask 12-07-2012 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by -JB- (Post 8010850)
eh.

Hey car, stop trying to be a truck. Or is it hey truck, stop trying to be a car, you are not a car you silly truck/car

Thing is though - it actually works out really well. GM's trucks get mid-20 MPG's at best? They're also a PITA to drive/park/etc in a city setting. However, for someone like me who is always backing their cars full of junk/hobbies/crap to work on rental properties, it would be fantastic. Don't do much of any towing but do have to haul a lot of crap a lot of times. Give it a DI LT1 or even a fuel thrifty V6, you're in the mid 30's for MPG, can throw a greasy used motor in the back of it w/o ruining the interior. I love it. If they do it right, I'd gladly trade in the Cruze for it.

Lord Humongous 12-07-2012 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Iroc-Boost (Post 8010938)
Yea, Why GM has not brought this car over is dumb but they will just fuck up the front end with a huge bowtie and fuck up the body lines.

You can say the same for the Ford Falcons. Id get one of those in a heartbeat

Lay Zee H 12-07-2012 06:58 AM

http://haplesshermit.typepad.com/.a/...d0cb8834-320pi

Will Sol 12-07-2012 07:22 AM

The Pontiac G8 GXP was awesome and I will own one someday.

Trunk Impaired 12-07-2012 08:37 AM

Would be awesome for enthusiasts, but where are the sales going to come from outside of that niche market? Small payload, small cabin sounds like a recipe for disaster when trying to sell to Americans. Utes are an engrained part of Aussie culture, but in the U.S. people just don't get it. If you can afford a car and a truck (which most people can't, but will go ahead and buy anyway) then why wouldn't you buy both instead of one car that halfasses both jobs? That's just our way of thinking.

Lord Humongous 12-07-2012 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Race B&on (Post 8011058)
Would be awesome for enthusiasts, but where are the sales going to come from outside of that niche market? Small payload, small cabin sounds like a recipe for disaster when trying to sell to Americans. Utes are an engrained part of Aussie culture, but in the U.S. people just don't get it. If you can afford a car and a truck (which most people can't, but will go ahead and buy anyway) then why wouldn't you buy both instead of one car that halfasses both jobs? That's just our way of thinking.

So it's a lot like the Ranger?

-JB- 12-07-2012 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by RandomTask (Post 8010941)
Thing is though - it actually works out really well. GM's trucks get mid-20 MPG's at best? They're also a PITA to drive/park/etc in a city setting. However, for someone like me who is always backing their cars full of junk/hobbies/crap to work on rental properties, it would be fantastic. Don't do much of any towing but do have to haul a lot of crap a lot of times. Give it a DI LT1 or even a fuel thrifty V6, you're in the mid 30's for MPG, can throw a greasy used motor in the back of it w/o ruining the interior. I love it. If they do it right, I'd gladly trade in the Cruze for it.

GM has small trucks. Look at the s10. El Camino is a cross breed turd and has always been a turd. A car with a pick up truck bed. Someone cue a Xzibit meme

Trunk Impaired 12-07-2012 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lord Humongous (Post 8011068)
So it's a lot like the Ranger?

Very much so (aside from ground clearance, drive wheels, and the Ranger having a proper truck chassis) in the sense that lack of support killed off the Ranger and it would do the same if the ute were introduced. Numbers don't lie and compact trucks just don't sell anymore.

blackout 12-07-2012 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Lord Humongous (Post 8010921)
I'd buy one with an LS motor...perferably the one that's in the ZL-1

tires will not survive.

Lord Humongous 12-07-2012 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by blackout (Post 8011196)
tires will not survive.

Yea...because the ones on my Cobra are lasting forever

Fabrik8 12-07-2012 01:04 PM

I want one of those or the Falcon UTE, I'm not really picky. They're both pretty sweet.

TimmyD87 12-07-2012 01:18 PM

ugly as fuck

blackFa5 12-07-2012 01:33 PM

out.

Fabrik8 12-07-2012 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by TimmyD87 (Post 8011307)
ugly as fuck

Your taste is obviously ruined by owning a '91 Supra.

CarsRFun 12-07-2012 01:47 PM

if this had AWD and new LT1 id be in like a mofo...

Reloaded 12-07-2012 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jones (Post 8010836)

6.2 liters enough for you?

http://www.hsv.com.au/e3/MalooR8/

POS DSM 12-07-2012 03:39 PM

aww hell yeah

http://image.lowridermagazine.com/f/...mino+photo.jpg

BAN HAMMER 12-07-2012 03:42 PM

Some of the comments in here are fucking funny.

It's an LS powered car-truck. C'mon.

the thing would sell over here like a motherfucker... I mean, if that god awful BRZ and FRS shit-pile baby fuck car can sell, the UTE would sell out everywhere.

Try to find a G8 now a days. They are hard as shit to find. I got lucky when I found mine, and thankfully I knew somoenw at the dealership who gave me an awesome ass deal on it.

Of course the people who drive 80's and 90's Hondas and imports find it ugly.. there's no "JDM" p-zaz about it, and it isnt meant to be an economy car.

jarrett2k 12-07-2012 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by DonkeyPunch (Post 8011439)
Some of the comments in here are fucking funny.

It's an LS powered car-truck. C'mon.

the thing would sell over here like a motherfucker... I mean, if that god awful BRZ and FRS shit-pile baby fuck car can sell, the UTE would sell out everywhere.

Try to find a G8 now a days. They are hard as shit to find. I got lucky when I found mine, and thankfully I knew somoenw at the dealership who gave me an awesome ass deal on it.

Of course the people who drive 80's and 90's Hondas and imports find it ugly.. there's no "JDM" p-zaz about it, and it isnt meant to be an economy car.

But, it really is ugly. I mean, it's a cool novelty that it's a car/truck retard baby powered by a V-8 and all but I just don't see its intended use. I'd much rather have a G8 or a vette for what that thing would cost...

but yeah, the FRS/BRZ is a heap of shit in my opinion, especially for the cost.

Young L 12-07-2012 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Race B&on (Post 8011168)
Very much so (aside from ground clearance, drive wheels, and the Ranger having a proper truck chassis) in the sense that lack of support killed off the Ranger and it would do the same if the ute were introduced. Numbers don't lie and compact trucks just don't sell anymore.

yep, better off gettin a used ranger since they dont hold the value for squat. I got mine used and its been a great tough little truck. Why buy a loaded up Ranger hittin at $25k when you can get a nice XLT F150 for around the same money.

Southwade 12-07-2012 04:34 PM

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-20...-1920x1440.jpg

Southwade 12-07-2012 04:34 PM

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7017/6...393c71a7_b.jpg