Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

Cam Idle Tune Installed on my 2013 Mustang GT!

Old 08-29-2012, 07:25 PM
N2OWNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula
Default Re: Cam Idle Tune Installed on my 2013 Mustang GT!

This is like the stupid "thumpr" cams Comp makes. "Let's make the car sound good and perform worse! Great fucking idea."

Some shops won't do tunes like this because they have been shown to hurt things in the engine.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:29 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

So, basically what you've done is retuned the valve timing to lose the benefit of variable valve timing?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:02 AM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Does this have any gain at all?

I want a better explaination of how this is supposed to help the vehicle. The only thing that keeps coming back to my head is a vtec killer cam setup on a mustang.......
Old 08-30-2012, 04:57 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

the gain is he runs faster than cars with super chargers, apparently
Old 08-30-2012, 05:16 AM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Originally Posted by marlinspike
So, basically what you've done is retuned the valve timing to lose the benefit of variable valve timing?
The tune just changes the valve overlap at idle, as soon as the RPM's rise above 1500 or so the VVT acts normally. You don't lose the benefit of the VVT. It is purely a mod for the sound and provides no performance gain. As far as a tune like this hurting the engine, i don't know if that is true or not. The red track key provided by Ford with the Boss 302's does the same thing.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:16 AM
giggity

RCE EATR RCE EATR RCE EATR RCE EATR RCE EATR RCE EATR RCE EATR RCE EATR RCE EATR RCE EATR RCE EATR

Originally Posted by BoostedVaDa
you actually enjoy having your car idle like shit?
Only got it for car shows. Sounds good, but I don't use it for daily use.

Originally Posted by Lord Humongous
LOL...Honda faggles.

They actually made the engine idle like a big cam using only tuning.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by 1mean2g
Are there any time slips to prove this or are these just bench racing theories?
Well my best run so far is a 12.39 @ 114.7mph. Look up timeslips of 05-10 cars with superchargers I mentioned and you'll see most are slower. Lots of the supercharged roush 427r models struggled to get into the 12s. Even motortrend tested the 2010 427r at 13.1 at 108.8mph.

Originally Posted by 99formula
This is like the stupid "thumpr" cams Comp makes. "Let's make the car sound good and perform worse! Great fucking idea."

Some shops won't do tunes like this because they have been shown to hurt things in the engine.
No. It's just for sound at idle. Above idle it drives like normal.

And no shops won't do tunes like that because they don't know how to. AED, Lund, Bama, and Steeda are the main ones offering the tunes bc they know what they are doing. Random shops I wouldn't trust trying to do it. And it doesn't do anything to hurt the motor. Some people blamed cyl #8 failure on it, but that wasn't the cause of the failure.

Originally Posted by marlinspike
No. Basically it retunes the variable valve timing to have more overlap at idle to get the sound. Above idle it drives like normal and utilizes the vvt like normal.

Originally Posted by Yep4doors
Does this have any gain at all?

I want a better explaination of how this is supposed to help the vehicle. The only thing that keeps coming back to my head is a vtec killer cam setup on a mustang.......
This tune is only for sound at idle. Over another tuned car with the same mods, it will not perform better. However, over a stock car it will perform better.

Originally Posted by JDM74
The tune just changes the valve overlap at idle, as soon as the RPM's rise above 1500 or so the VVT acts normally. You don't lose the benefit of the VVT. It is purely a mod for the sound and provides no performance gain. As far as a tune like this hurting the engine, i don't know if that is true or not. The red track key provided by Ford with the Boss 302's does the same thing.
Exactly.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:40 AM
Registered member

sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl?

They hate on you so bad. I feel for you, I really do. I love the 5.0. I love what you're doing to it. I know that when you get a helion or blower everyone will shut the fuck up.

But until then....haters gonna hate.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:51 AM
BACON!

PhillyLS1 PhillyLS1 PhillyLS1 PhillyLS1 PhillyLS1 PhillyLS1 PhillyLS1 PhillyLS1 PhillyLS1 PhillyLS1 PhillyLS1

While I think the "my car sounds like it has a cam, but it doesn't" thing is retarded. Most of the hate in here is due to people not being familiar with the 5.0 Coyote platform.

Remember, Mustangs are the ricers of the domestic community and the companies making parts for these cars are such whores they'll put anything out to make a buck.

RCE EATR's car is clean. He can take that tune out in less than a minute. I think it's neat that you can even make the car idle differently, even if I wouldn't do it myself.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 AM
slingshot engage.

dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin' dyoungin'

Originally Posted by sixcyl?
They hate on you so bad. I feel for you, I really do. I love the 5.0. I love what you're doing to it. I know that when you get a helion or blower everyone will shut the fuck up.

But until then....haters gonna hate.
This.

I really enjoy the new 5.0's and i think yours is very clean and you have tasteful mods, but you haven't had it long either. And you're right- if it was any of the regulars on here, the others would be cupping his nuts with their tongues.

With that said, make ONE thread for this car so your single mod threads quit getting derailed like this and the rest of them have before it.

Last edited by dyoungin'; 08-30-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by dyoungin'
This.

I really enjoy the new 5.0's and i think yours is very clean and you have tasteful mods, but you haven't had it long either. And you're right- if it was any of the regulars on here, the others would be cupping his nuts with their tongues.

With that said, make ONE thread for this car so your single mod threads quit getting derailed like this and the rest of them have before it.
I'm not tonguing his balls.

I mean I get why he did it, but not my cup of tea. I'd rather install a big cam, or 4 of them in my case

Quick Reply: Cam Idle Tune Installed on my 2013 Mustang GT!