Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

650 hp, turbo, built motor k20 Ariel Atom...

Old 07-19-2011, 07:03 AM
B Nice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW
Default Re: 650 hp, turbo, built motor k20 Ariel Atom...

Awesome, I bet it's a blast to drive.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 AM
BROSCIENCE

DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy DwiZZy

Looks awesome but I couldn't imagine anyone driving it on "twisties". The guy driving looked like he could barely keep it on a straight road.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:32 AM
nothin2tucknstillTDB

shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Sweeeeet. I still don't know about the boost delivery with a 4 cylinder in a car that light though.
Actually, it works out surprisingly well with the PTE 6262-B ball bearing (SP cover, T3 .82 A/R V-Band discharge). The only issue that I think the car has is that noone has f'ed with the Motec's traction control yet. I might have put a 30r on there to move the powerband around a bit. That is the first car I've been in that has an amazingly effective downforce-the faster it goes the more control you seem to have- it just sticks to the road. With the short wheelbase you can just flick the wheel and change lanes.

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
that shit is awesome. Looks like a pain in the ass to drive. that dude was all over the place. thought he was gonna be chirping a few gears just from the way the clutch was engaging.
He removed the rear fenders after that video was shot and put more rubber in the back. It no longer chirps second (thank god) and just pulls. Scotty has a low 8 second supra and a low 8 second 94 mustang so he wanted the Ariel to go fast in the straights as well as corner well. Real Street nailed that.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 AM
nothin2tucknstillTDB

shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed shonanspeed

Holy balls! I finally got a medal!
I'm happy.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Is that you in the pictures?

Things looks scary to drive.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by shonanspeed
Actually, it works out surprisingly well with the PTE 6262-B ball bearing (SP cover, T3 .82 A/R V-Band discharge). The only issue that I think the car has is that noone has f'ed with the Motec's traction control yet. I might have put a 30r on there to move the powerband around a bit. That is the first car I've been in that has an amazingly effective downforce-the faster it goes the more control you seem to have- it just sticks to the road. With the short wheelbase you can just flick the wheel and change lanes.
It's not where the powerband is, it's the linearity of the power delivery and the throttle response from the turbo. Having that much power from a 4 cyl means that most of the power is related to the turbo and not the base engine displacement, so the throttle response and power linearity problems tend to become disruptive to making a clean lap.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:50 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
It's not where the powerband is, it's the linearity of the power delivery and the throttle response from the turbo. Having that much power from a 4 cyl means that most of the power is related to the turbo and not the base engine displacement, so the throttle response and power linearity problems tend to become disruptive to making a clean lap.
That was my point with the supercharger comment. I think small 4 cyl engines perform much better with superchargers than they do with turbos. Throttle response and the linear power curve remain similar to stock, just amplified. I would bet money that 9 times out of 10 a supercharged version of that engine with ~450hp would lap a track substantially quicker than that monster would.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Bro'd Out

Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito Tito

Yeah you do! JE sent a bunch of the new hotness pistons, shirts, hats and their easy-up booth for this race just for it to get rained out so I kept that shit. It was still fun though- we were set up across from a bodypainting booth so it was a steady stream of naked boobied girls in thongs getting sprayed all day. (Got pics- IDK if I can post them her
Post in back room. stat.
Originally Posted by REDROCKETEER
Is that you in the pictures?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:29 AM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

He removed the rear fenders after that video was shot and put more rubber in the back. It no longer chirps second (thank god) and just pulls. Scotty has a low 8 second supra and a low 8 second 94 mustang so he wanted the Ariel to go fast in the straights as well as corner well. Real Street nailed that.
derp.

id really like to see this thing lap a road course with a good driver
Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher Muncher

Originally Posted by Flite
That was my point with the supercharger comment. I think small 4 cyl engines perform much better with superchargers than they do with turbos. Throttle response and the linear power curve remain similar to stock, just amplified. I would bet money that 9 times out of 10 a supercharged version of that engine with ~450hp would lap a track substantially quicker than that monster would.
More than likely...but IMO it wouldnt be nearly as fun. And by fun I mean, "holy shit this is amazingly dumb and I cant stop laughing while I'm driving it" fun...not "I have a better power curve than you so around a track Im slightly quicker than you" fun.

If that makes any sense.

Quick Reply: 650 hp, turbo, built motor k20 Ariel Atom...