Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

WRX dog engagement tranny

Old 05-17-2006, 05:58 PM
The Rev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo_Dreams
Default WRX dog engagement tranny

Does anyone have any expericence with a "dog box" tranny. Im mostyl refering to WRX's. Also, V8hunter not to call you out or anything, but what tranny set up are you running. I know your rex is deffinately the most bad ass iv seen around here. Im looking to run a vr34 here shortly and who knows whats next. I nee dot be able to hol around 4-500 whp. And yes I am in NASIOC and have posted a similar question, but i wanted to see if anyone local had an opinion. Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: WRX dog engagement tranny

Dog tranny or not, your transfer case is going to self destruct, unless that's part of the dog tranny you're getting. Honestly you're probably better off getting an STi drivetrain, because those can handle a lot more poiwer. If you're going for 500 WHP and you want to have anything other than very gentle fun, you're probl going to have to replace the entire drivetrain. I obviously don't have anywhere near that level of power, but I'm passing on what I've learned from a lot of research on this... What I've learned is that I can't afford that level of power because there is a lot more $$ to it than just engine mods, like the entire drivetrain.... I should have bought an STi..

By the way, don't you mean a VF34??

Last edited by Fabrik8; 05-17-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:07 PM

Kim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud of

pm wrb_wrx
Old 05-18-2006, 02:58 AM
The Rev

Turbo_Dreams

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Dog tranny or not, your transfer case is going to self destruct, unless that's part of the dog tranny you're getting. Honestly you're probably better off getting an STi drivetrain, because those can handle a lot more poiwer. If you're going for 500 WHP and you want to have anything other than very gentle fun, you're probl going to have to replace the entire drivetrain. I obviously don't have anywhere near that level of power, but I'm passing on what I've learned from a lot of research on this... What I've learned is that I can't afford that level of power because there is a lot more $$ to it than just engine mods, like the entire drivetrain.... I should have bought an STi..

By the way, don't you mean a VF34??
I was looking into getting an STi drivtrain, originally. But the cost is crazy for one. And yes i did mean VF34, that was a typo. I appreciate the input. I guess i better start saving up for my new drive line now. Stupid crappy WRX trannys.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:53 AM
Japanese Disease

NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX

just mod a different car if you want to make big power like that. 500 to 4 wheels is ALOT of power. There are a few people i know of who put on basic stage 4(exhaust, engine management, upgraded IC, and a turbocharger upgrade w/ supporting fuel) using VF34's. With that turbocharger you wont need an extremely expensive transmission rebuild to support that kind of power, and it will definately be a very strong improvement over the stock turbo. Just don't beat up on the car all the time.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Registered member

Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz Twelvz

With a 34 you shouldn't have any worries.

My 22 is bigger than that, I've been running on stock tranny/clutch for 3 years now.

those in the know, know I blew one years ago but that was totally my fault, not the tranny.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Running a VF34 and having 500 WHP are two different things.. VF34 will take you right around 300WHP on pump gas if I remember, you'll have to step up to something bigger to get anywhere near 500..
Old 05-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

your tranny is plenty strong enough to handle vf34 power. Just don't bash those gears, and go side-stepping the clutch.

500awhp is ALOT. Even in the Supra world...getting 500hp is a good amount of $ and power.

But this is what i recommend. If you want to do turbo upgrades, don't go for any ihi turbo. Instead look up deadbolt hybrids, or better yet...fp turbo's. They are more effecient, pretty well priced, and will all make more power than any VF series turbo on less boost.

A vf34 won't put you in 300awhp on pump. Maybe c16. but definatly not pump. More realisiticly...260-280awhp.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:54 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Chris is the tranny dieing already?
Old 05-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Honda Rider

1320B4U is an unknown quantity at this point

V8 Hunter is running a challack rally dogbox from australia. Millennium has no problem installing the dog gear set into your factory case also... Any questions, PM either me or V8 Hunter.

Quick Reply: WRX dog engagement tranny