Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Would I be getting in way over my head?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CrJenkins13 is on a distinguished road
Default Would I be getting in way over my head?

I'm going to college next fall, and currently own an Integra. I've been thinking recently how great it would be to buy a POS shell, and build it from the ground up.

So I was thinking...sell my Integra($6,000 , just to throw a number out there), and use that money on my new car.

I figure about $1,000 in body work, $1,000 in suspension, $800 in wheels / tires, ~$2,000 in paint(I really have no idea what it'd be, because I haven't looked into it in depth), and the rest into the motor.

Obviously odds and ends like brakes won't be forgotten, nor will they be cut short due to there being a budget(I do have a job, but that brings up the 2nd part). But this would get it running and things like seats and interior can be added on as the process goes.

Now, for the job part. I've got two options. My parents have decided they can afford to pay for my college education. That means 99% of everything of my daily life...pretty much everything but money to go out. Which I almost don't mind giving up for a while, but eventually I will want to buy ****.

So, if I don't have a car, I obviously can't have a job...unless I ride my bike to a local restaurant. Which I don't want to do...so should I spend $500 on a beater, and as I get my car running, I sell it again? I can find a cheap running Accord for $2-600.

Basically, from the more financially mature part of VADriven, should I do this? Or what...?

Edit: And nothing is "wrong" with my current Integra. I just feel like it'd mean more to me if I built it from the ground up. The color I want, the suspension I want, the wheels I want, and which motor I want.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Function > Form

RobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to allRobertE is a name known to all
Default Re: Would I be getting in way over my head?

I can't really help you on the financial part, but I'd like to share some of my experiences with you.

I took on a pretty big project with my MG, basically everything is being changed or restored. The amount of time required is ridiculous, and takes a lot of dedication(something I'm slacking on). So first off make sure you have the time/dedication for it.

As far as the cost goes, I'd suggest deciding if a built integra is really what you want. More then likely its going to cost 1-2k more then what you're budgeting because you always end up need something extra. If its not what you want, you can always wait and save up for something better down the line.

Either way, good luck and have fun.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

outtatime703 is an unknown quantity at this point

no don't do it. you'd be surprised how much money you're going to spend going out when in college. If you are social you are going to spend a lot going out doing things like eating, drinking, going on dates with girls, and then drinking some more. Don't forget about random road trips and spring break. I'm speaking from experience.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

I wouldn't do it.

I am sorta in the same boat as you: going to be a sophomore in college, and currently perfecting my "college car" that I've basically rebuilt.

You'll want to spend money on different things when you get to college, and won't have anywhere near enough time to do a project like this.

Now for a summer thing, hell ya go for it.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Breezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these partsBreezy is infamous around these parts

Everyone has gotten it right... Dont do it. You end up spending too much money elsewhere.

Many look at living expenses alone to figure out what they should do. You have to look well beyond that. Heck, my living expenses alone are about $2500/month, bills, food and transportation. I have no fucking idea where the rest of it goes. Well I do, it's called dollar here and a dollar there.

Don't do it. Graduate college, make a nice pay check and THEN go for the ride you want and start from scratch. Don't impulse buy that shit.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Madison Motorsports

white97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond reputewhite97dsm has a reputation beyond repute

don't do it, cause your integra is just gonna get stolen 2 months after you finish the build up anyways
Old 08-02-2008, 05:54 PM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

College should be spent on beer/women/etc. You have your entire "working life" to pick up a car as a hobby. You'll most likely even have cash then too
Old 08-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Registered member

sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr

It's nice to have a car in college, but you won't have time to work on it. Beater should be fine- if it breaks too badly, just buy another.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Get a good college car... say a smallish SUV... you can cary hoes, kegs, and buddies... the important things.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:13 PM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Get a good college car... say a smallish SUV... you can cary hoes, kegs, and buddies... the important things.
This man speaks the truth. You don't want a project when you're goign to have other expenses in school

Quick Reply: Would I be getting in way over my head?