Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Why a good cage is important... no really... x infinity

Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 AM
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Why a good cage is important... no really... x infinity

RandomTask made this thread HERE. I posted the videos on the Corvetteforum and a gentleman shared a story worth repeating....

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
Here is MY reason for building the best cage possible:

Three plus weeks ago at Thunderhill while leading the American V8 Supercar race and passing a "faster" GT-1 car...got tapped from behind in the rear quarter panel and sent end over end 5-7 times...NOT fun! :willy:
...sadly....yes....it is a ball of tin foil now.
No, I was found with a deep purple face and black eyes...as in the eyes themselves....the EMTs told my family the next day when they knew I survived. They told my family that when they find people in the shape I was in....they don't make it.

I was flown to the trauma center and had emergency shoulder surgery for a broken clavical and scapula, and I have about 5 broken ribs. That and I still cannot see very well. I have vascular damage to the retina's that the doctors hope will go away. I see a bit better each day, but it is microscopic improvements.

My commitment to safety in the car and my gear saved my life. We build the car safe first and went for speed later. I had just bought a new helmet and HANS tethers that I told my dad were working good since I could only move my head forward about an inch with the sliding tethers...the old quick release tethers I could touch the helmet to my chest. The HANS saved my life but broke my shoulder.....a fine trade off I would say.

No, my helmet was brand new and has but a few scratches on it. The doctors told me the damage to my eyes was all G Force trauma from slamming into the ground/stopping so fast. Blood vessels burst all over my eyes face from the pressure, and though most have gone away, the retina vessels are tiny and take more time to repair--it is just a question if they will repair enough to restore vision 100%. I am about 90% in my left eye I would say and 75% in the right. Annoying, but getting better each day. I don't look like this anymore, but the kids LOVED this at the dinner table:

:rofl:
Yes, I ALWAYS stressed safety first.....fast second while building that car. It paid off handsomely. Don't even THINK of going fast...even in a "safe" HPDE....unless you have your safety bases covered and double covered. JMHO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=numLu2Kz6n8
SAFETY FIRST!!! This happened a couple of weeks ago.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:23 AM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!
Default Re: Why a good cage is important... no really... x infinity

WOW

dudes eyes look nuts, glad he is alive, that "faster" gt1 car needs to take a fucking bullet in between the eyes. I feel terrible for the guy for got caught up in that too, just crazy
Old 05-06-2011, 06:40 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by 22'
WOW

dudes eyes look nuts, glad he is alive, that "faster" gt1 car needs to take a fucking bullet in between the eyes. I feel terrible for the guy for got caught up in that too, just crazy
Shit happens... I doubt the dude meant to spin him like that. The crash was violent.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:44 AM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

WHOA... That's pretty damn scary. Good point, man.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Hi

Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be Integra2Be

wow, that happened really fast and look horrid!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:08 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

WOW. Not sure I even want to drive my car on the street anymore after seeing that, his eyes are fucking haunting. In the video it sounded like the driver was saying something but I couldn't make it out.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:31 AM
B Nice

STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW

Damn, glad to see the guy made it out OK. I didn't read the link, but did he say how fast he was going when it happened?

I remember a friend had done something and his eyes were like that for weeks, IIRC it was something like hitting the water face first at a high rate of speed skiing or something, shit looked really crazy.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

Originally Posted by STi_FTMFW
I remember a friend had done something and his eyes were like that for weeks, IIRC it was something like hitting the water face first at a high rate of speed skiing or something, shit looked really crazy.
Damn, I've bailed pretty hard/fast wakeboarding on open water(1ft chop) and I could only imagine how much worse they had to hit for that to happen.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:36 AM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

I've seen it happen in motorcycle crashes a bit. Always unnerving.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM slow97DSM

So crazy. My eyes hurt now.

Quick Reply: Why a good cage is important... no really... x infinity