Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Why do the majority of you prefer a slower car for your money?

Old 11-30-2005, 07:01 PM
OG Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all
Default Re: Why do the majority of you prefer a slower car for your money?

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
because its fun to beat up on domestic cars. i mean come on now. you can buy a stock hatchback for 3k, put a swap in it for 2500-3k, turbo it for less than 2 and whomp the living hell out of any mustang or camaro your gonna get for that price.
Well I feel deprived from such an experience.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:03 PM
OG Alumni

BigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to allBigBake is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mr.2
true, but in my experience c4's handle like pigs without extensive suspension work. then factor in the cost, labor and such to turbo it and the fact that i'm not a big fan of c4's as it is. given the same budget, i think you can make a faster, more reliable and better looking mr2 that still gets 30mpg. hell, i'll go as far as to say you can do it cheaper.
He did all of his own work and fabrication, and the parts were cheap, in fact cheaper then any kit I have yet to see on any vehicle on this forum.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:05 PM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

Originally Posted by BigBake
Well, you just haven't run into the right car. You can't deny that they're out there.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:08 PM
OG Alumni

It is all simple economics, 16-19 year olds have less income so they can only afford a car that costs less. Costs are including payments and the insurance to cover the vehicle. A performance car will cost a 16-25 year old nearly the same as the car payment itself. The thread starter should already know this.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:10 PM
OG Alumni

Originally Posted by dave22
Well, you just haven't run into the right car. You can't deny that they're out there.
On the highways? Not likely, at the track most certainly.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:12 PM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

first off... consider the fucking source. i don't understand why it's come 3 pages and no one has brought up the fact that the person who sparked this thread drives a fucking z06 vette. if you want to start talking about why everyone can't afford the icon of domestic performance vehicles, then i'm sure it's going to go a lot deeper than your average 'import vs. domestic' thread. fucking ridiculous. there is no other excuse for bringing up something like this unless you feel threatened or somehow attempting to justify your lavish expense by attempting to reinforce a well-known fact that a stock civic was not engineered to outperform a z06 vette/viper/ford gt, as this guy put it. again, WHAT a fucking assclown.

second, the popularity of imports can be attributed to their affordablity and availability. it seems like most of you forget that the majority of people on this site do in fact know a thing or two about performance and those that don't that have any aspirations of remaining on this board for more than a couple days are making an honest effort to learn. talk to people. random people on the street don't have a fucking clue what's going on with cars. i had a guy come up to me at a meet and ask me if my car was turbo. i looked at him like the God damn fool that he was and said yes. he acted like he didn't believe me, because he 'couldn't see the turbo' in the engine bay. i pointed at the intercooler and blow-off valve and said '9 times out of 10 if a car has one of these, or these, it's most likely turbo'. the fucker still acted like he didn't believe me, and walked off shaking his head.

THESE are the types of people ricing the fuck out of shit. but guess what? these type of people are no more than common annoyances and occasional entertainment. they are simply falling victim to the trendiness of a fad. this has been an indisputable truth since june 2001, when the fast and the furious was released in theaters nationwide.

now since your question has been answered, continue seeking the attention and self-satisfaction your overpriced piece of machinery is not giving you, and leave the rest of us to do with our cars as we will.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:16 PM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Seems most import drivers buy a slow car and dump a shit-ton of money into it just to get ahead or rice it out. All this when could have started with something faster to begin with.

This forum on the z06 board spiked my interest read it... http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91561 (if you can, might have to be a member) Basically one guys realization that the "hotrod" is dying... young kids want civics and prefer ricer mods to making a car truly fast.

Why? Why do you want a shitty civic or something when you can can get a damn fast mustang or camaro for the same price.

Plus the sound... no import sounds better than an american V8

im not gonna bash you for posting this but :

i dont know why that topic sparked your interest...being that,everytime a topic like that is posted,or created,its created by someone ignorant,who has never seen both sides of the fence,nor wants to.

its always about V8 this,mustang this,trans am that...yes..they are QUICK stock..yes they can be made FAST with a intake,long tube headers,and 2.5'' exhaust with no cat...yes they can break the 9 second barrier 10x more then you will ever see a FWD civic break..but who the fuck cares...building cars is about 3 things :

money
preference
trial and error

you got people who start out with shitty cars,and move on to better cars,and eventually end up with something you would have never thought they'd have.

I drive a "honda"...i work at "Ford"...so i SEE and KNOW both sides...i like forced inducted mustangs just as much as i like boosted hondas...power is power...anyway you can get it done..Do it. thats how i see things.

now i got the chance to rip a 03 cobra wide open earlier this morning..and i did...right down the blvd..and that shit felt damn good...i will admit..there is nothing like the sound/power of a forced induction V8 rippin down the street...but the funny thing is..my car trap's and runs the same time as a 03 cobra..and is missing about 183whp....and missing about 38,000$ in sticker price...theres preference & money.

Now heres trial and error...i went from a Ford probe GT...to a Crx...from the crx to another Crx...then to an integra...and with my integra..i have done more damage on the street to the "top dog" cars (trans am's,mustangs,evo's,Sti's,lightings,etc.) then most people can do with a 4 cylinder..i went through a process to get there...trial and error.

My opinion is...i would love to have a V8 honestly...i like the RWD aspect of racing,and i like the extra cylinders for more torque,and horsepower...and my favorite part about domestics,is how they usually make more torque than horsepower,given that they have low Revs. but until i come across some money,to buy a 99-04 gt mustang..or a cobra..or a Trans am ws6..im going to stick with what i can afford..and what works.

bottomline : theres too many domestic guys looking at the dumb fucks in the import cars,instead of the real import guys,that make big numbers,and run good times...everyone likes to talk about riced out civics..but domestic guys never have shit to say,when you look on streetfire.net and see integra's putting 4 to 5 cars on bolt on vipers,and corvettes.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:17 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by BigBake
so your gonna tell me you have less than 8k dollars total in your camaro with the purchase of the car included ?....excuse me for saying i dont believe you . you should reread what i said, i said you would whomp the hell out of any(well i shouldnt say ANY, but most of them) camaro or mustang that you can get for the same price/money that you put into your civic.

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 11-30-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blackout
first off... consider the fucking source. i don't understand why it's come 3 pages and no one has brought up the fact that the person who sparked this thread drives a fucking z06 vette. if you want to start talking about why everyone can't afford the icon of domestic performance vehicles, then i'm sure it's going to go a lot deeper than your average 'import vs. domestic' thread. fucking ridiculous. there is no other excuse for bringing up something like this unless you feel threatened or somehow attempting to justify your lavish expense by attempting to reinforce a well-known fact that a stock civic was not engineered to outperform a z06 vette/viper/ford gt, as this guy put it. again, WHAT a fucking assclown.

second, the popularity of imports can be attributed to their affordablity and availability. it seems like most of you forget that the majority of people on this site do in fact know a thing or two about performance and those that don't that have any aspirations of remaining on this board for more than a couple days are making an honest effort to learn. talk to people. random people on the street don't have a fucking clue what's going on with cars. i had a guy come up to me at a meet and ask me if my car was turbo. i looked at him like the God damn fool that he was and said yes. he acted like he didn't believe me, because he 'couldn't see the turbo' in the engine bay. i pointed at the intercooler and blow-off valve and said '9 times out of 10 if a car has one of these, or these, it's most likely turbo'. the fucker still acted like he didn't believe me, and walked off shaking his head.

THESE are the types of people ricing the fuck out of shit. but guess what? these type of people are no more than common annoyances and occasional entertainment. they are simply falling victim to the trendiness of a fad. this has been an indisputable truth since june 2001, when the fast and the furious was released in theaters nationwide.

now since your question has been answered, continue seeking the attention and self-satisfaction your overpriced piece of machinery is not giving you, and leave the rest of us to do with our cars as we will.
And I do believe he also owns a 10 sec Mustang. IU still want to know what drifting has to do with being fast or having mass amounts of horsepower. I have a 100 hp car, yet drifts pretty effortlessly. I just suck at it.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:19 PM
www.TeamDOHC.org

Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy

Originally Posted by blackout

second, the popularity of imports can be attributed to their affordablity and availability. it seems like most of you forget that the majority of people on this site do in fact know a thing or two about performance and....
^^ What he said....

Quick Reply: Why do the majority of you prefer a slower car for your money?