Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

What kind of helmet?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:21 PM
ted
Bicyclist for now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ted has disabled reputation
Default What kind of helmet?

So, I am starting to look into helmets because I know I will need one this summer. I am planning on taking the Basic Rider Course for Motorcycles, but I am not planning on buying a bike after that (just a fun activity for me). I am also planning on autocrossing with basically whatever I end up buying this spring. So, my question is: should I just get a motorcycle helmet (full face) and just take the visor off for autoX or is there some disadvantage to having a full face helmet for driving a car?
I don't want to get a modular because they aren't as safe and I would prefer not to buy two helmets.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts
Default Re: What kind of helmet?

I don't know of a reason to have a full face helmet for racing a car. Mine helmet is full faced, but I always have the visor flipped up. Just make sure it's DOT and Snell 2000 certified and the rest is personal preference I believe. I'm sure someone will chime in with more specifics as I may be wrong.

Last edited by Brock Obama; 02-20-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:12 AM
ted
Bicyclist for now

ted has disabled reputation

OK, so it looks like the basic rider course folks lend you a helmet, so I can theoretically get whatever. Is there any major reason for me not to get a full face helmet just so I can use it for autoX and in the case I buy a motorcycle down the road?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:27 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

AutoX does not require a specific helmet to my knowledge, so you can get away with a rated bike helmet. HOWEVER, if you ever plan on being on a track (summit point, etc) you will need a SA2005 helmet.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Previously Odyssey

Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime Odysseus Prime

A reason that come to mind when racing a vehicle in almost any category..I am not a pro in this field. I am just stating what I think the benefit is.

Having a full face helmet will protect your face from debris (glass, metal parts, etc...) in the occurrence of a crash. As it will also protect your face from fire more efficiently as opposed to not wearing a full face helmet in a fire situation.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Originally Posted by ted
OK, so it looks like the basic rider course folks lend you a helmet, so I can theoretically get whatever. Is there any major reason for me not to get a full face helmet just so I can use it for autoX and in the case I buy a motorcycle down the road?
In my experience the helmets were old and nasty. Do you really want to put your head something that many others have had their in? If you are going to need your own eventually, just get your own. I've always used a full face motorcycle helmet with the visor on. I've driven down the track and the autox course with the visor down, btw. A tinted visor was amazing mid-day.