Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

What do to? Legally?

Old 04-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Mad Scientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire
What do to? Legally?

Here is a brief bio on what's going on.

Last week I purchased a 350z from a used car lot. I was not told by the dealership it had been wrecked. <Doesn't Va require that all vehicles been wrecked be disclosed??> I wasn't aware of the wreck till I did some maintenance on the car. I saw the welded unibody piece on the front end.

So the roof didn't work. That much I am well aware of. According to the dealership there is so much frame damage they really don't want to replace the motors for the rag top. So all work was cancelled on the car. They are returning it to orginal condition now. The dealership I got it from faxed me the car fax report stating they had no clue the frame was bent. So an accident is listed on the car fax report the dealership didn't tell me. This accident has buckled the frame so bad it blew out the rag top.

This car is useless to me now. I asked them for my money back. They said no we cashed the check. They told me to go to car fax. But in the buy back section it says it doesn't cover bent frames.

So am I screwed or is there a way to still salvage myself out of this nightmare from hell.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Re: What do to? Legally?

Always, I mean, ALWAYS get a carfax BEFORE you buy the car. You have the right to ask for the carfax before you purchased the car. As far as legallity matters now? I'm not too sure, if you can't work a deal with the dealership, you might want to consult a lawyer.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Logic is my religion

R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld R. Danneskjöld

Google Va's lemon law, and def call a lawyer, It cant legitimately be a clear title if there is that much damage. So if this car was sold to you as having a clear title, then you got them by the nuts.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:50 PM
NUMBER4

fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish

you said the roof didnt work, did you realize this before or after you bought the car? if it was before, why did you buy it? if it was after, why didnt you check it before the signing?
Old 04-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Sounds like a case of "gotta haves"... you wanted the car so badly you failed to look at the BS.

I believe there's a return period for cars to... they must take it back.

Also, the tile could be clear... the car may have not been totalled, or, if it was the owner may have bought it back, fixed it and then dumped it.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Mad Scientist

nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire nitefire

Originally Posted by fish
you said the roof didnt work, did you realize this before or after you bought the car? if it was before, why did you buy it? if it was after, why didnt you check it before the signing?
Convertables go bad all the time. The roof was down in the images they had listed on the site. So I figured it was something simple. I had money set aside to have the roof repaired. They wanted to hold onto the car for like 3 weeks while they got it repaired. The roof was up and drivable. they also gave 1500.00 off the price of the car for the roof being bad. They told me they even had it in the shop and the dealer said it would be 1500 max to repair the roof. Cowls Nissan said 2200 to repair and that it would burn out again due the frame damage.

The key things here are that....

- No mention of the car being hit period.
- No mention of frame damage.
- The test drive was very good.

This car didn't display any signs of being hammered. Even if it were a simple accident. I mean that kind of thing can be fixed. But inorder to completly shift the frame of an entire 350z I'd have to say this car slammed at a very considerable rate of speed.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

I have seen dealerships sell salvaged cars before and not even tell the customer. Alot of times when a car is in an accident, they don't know the exact details of what was damaged. Heck they may not even have ran a carfax, who knows.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Mad Scientist

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Sounds like a case of "gotta haves"... you wanted the car so badly you failed to look at the BS.

I believe there's a return period for cars to... they must take it back.

Also, the tile could be clear... the car may have not been totalled, or, if it was the owner may have bought it back, fixed it and then dumped it.
Sorta yes on the Gotta have. I inspected the body..it was clean all the right lines. I inspected the under side for flex, impact and what not. There is nothing showing any signs of serious impact. The test drive consisted of 120 mph 95 test. It handles like it's on rails and no shimmies. Nothing to say it's been hurt this bad.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Mad Scientist

They sent me the car fax. It looks clean. It has an accident indicator but no real details. Everything else comes back clean..but again they had this information and never disclosed it. This lot has a ton of high end bmw's. So I felt comfortable that they purchased good cars. So, no I'm stuck with a huge paper weight.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Was it a dealership or a private car lot?

Quick Reply: What do to? Legally?