Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

weight to price ratio on 17" tires...worth it?

Old 12-31-2003, 08:30 AM
~

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nickyroo has disabled reputation
Default weight to price ratio on 17" tires...worth it?

hey id like to pick up the lightest set of 205/40/17 tires out there, but how much lighter are they than the cheaper brands? ive heard kumhos are cheap but heavy. what tire is light then and what do they cost? basically someone please school me on 17" street tires
Old 12-31-2003, 10:03 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

Interesting. Weight was never a factor I considered when buying tires. It was all about performance and durability.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:09 AM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

What are you looking for out of the tire?

IMO, it's better to save weight on the rims instead of a constantly wearing part like tires.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:31 AM
Registered member

Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall Digger70chall

yeah when i first read it i thought he was talking about rims..which makes more sense to me than saving weight on the rubber tire, after re-reading this though i guess get some tires with no tread left? I've never thought about the weight difference between different brands of tires. Hope this helps lots
Old 12-31-2003, 10:34 AM
~

im looking for a high speed rating and light weight. this is for the front end of a rear wheel drive car where im trying to save weight everywhere that is possible. obviously it is not going to be slammed into corners or put on a road course. ive just heard a lot about some tires being heavier than others. i was looking for some sort of chart or if anyone has any info on which is lighter than the others and what its affect on the cost is
Old 12-31-2003, 10:59 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

I wouldn't worry about the tire weight; there are other areas you can try to cut some fat out of. You need good tires no matter what you're driving. Get the tires that are best suited for your driving habits and environment.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:05 AM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts

Skinnnnnnnnnnnnnies
Old 12-31-2003, 11:19 AM
~

ive thought about ET Street skinnies but im not willing to compromise all drivability. i live 40 minutes from anything and i dont want to keep my car at the office. im using a narrow 17" wheel and am picking out 205/40/17 tires to go with it.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:22 AM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts

I always figured the air had alot more to do with weight than tire.. Unless you're trying to make the front end jump off the ground
Old 12-31-2003, 11:57 AM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

ok....I preach the importance of a good tire all the time. You get what you pay for. You really have to spend the extra dough to get a good tire and I don't care what anybody says, Buying an expensive, light weight wheel and then putting cheap ass heavy tires on em is silly. People will pay an extra thougsand dollars to save an extra pound per rim, and then put tires on them that weigh 4 or 5 or even more pounds more than a good tire, and the extra weight that tires carry is on the very outside of the rim...the worst area to have weight. Bridgestone and BFG both make very good tires in that size and for the money a set of Nitto 555s are a good bet. Falken Azenas are good too but their performance really sucks in bad conditions. I hate, I hate, I hate Kuhmos unless you're really not worried about performance. Although the new Kuhmo MXs are suposed to be good. I don't have any experiance with them however so I couldn't tell ya.