Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Water spots.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDMdelsol has disabled reputation
Default Re: Water spots.

Hahahahhahahahahha at the Brick comment.

Try using a Compound and buff it nice. It worked good for me. Then a nice hand wax and my car looked 10 times better (:
Old 09-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Just use a mild paint cleaner or cleaner wax. It's just really mild mineral deposits that were in the water. Then move on with your life.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:31 AM
OMFGTITZ

balls2dawalls balls2dawalls balls2dawalls

Don't use a buffer. I tell everyone if you don't know how to properly polish and buff a car.. I would never recommend attempting it. You can seriously hurt your paint more than you know.

Water spots are mineral deposits in the water (which I'm sure has been noted already)... the only way to remove them is with some sort of compound. Clay barring is a good start.. because all clay bar does is removes all contaminants from the paint, including waxes and sealants. I would then (personally) polish it with abrasives, then seal it, then wax it. But then again I have a DA random orbital buffer and some nice products lol

In your case, clay bar it, cleaner wax, and done. But tell your step dad that those irrigation systems are terrible for your paint.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Drives a "black" dc2

Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta

I fix this on my old mans black truck all the time. I clay bar the vehicle after washing it then I typically get a low rpm buffer with a applicator pad, use a good cleaner wax (I use zymol) when applying it, then use polishing pads with the buffer to take it off. Works every time even with water spots baked on in 100 degree weather for weeks.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Registered Member

terrible advice has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Big Boosta
I fix this on my old mans black truck all the time. I clay bar the vehicle after washing it then I typically get a low rpm buffer with a applicator pad, use a good cleaner wax (I use zymol) when applying it, then use polishing pads with the buffer to take it off. Works every time even with water spots baked on in 100 degree weather for weeks.
but as homeboy above accurately pointed out...you can leave gnarly buffer trails. i wouldn't worry about burning the paint at low rpms, but any higher and there's that risk.

personally, i trust phil@detailers domain for all my needs in that regard. he's one of the best. send him an email and i'm sure he can recommend something.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:28 AM
gone

lim_fc3vert lim_fc3vert lim_fc3vert lim_fc3vert lim_fc3vert

Originally Posted by Big Boosta
x2 zymol, pretty much a all in one wax and smells good lol. Just do it in a shaded area...
Old 09-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

1slowxr4ti has disabled reputation

all you need is Wash the car, Wax and an ORBITAL. you can buy orbitals from walmart. any wax will work. detailed cars for 4 years.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Drives a "black" dc2

Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta

Well i know how to use a buffer, and with a cleaner wax and a new pad, at low rpms, you cant do a huge amount of damage unless you set the pad on the ground a pick up some sand or rocks, either way, was just lending some personal experience.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:10 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

God all mighty there is some bad info in here...

1) with a quality random orbital buffer, it's not hard to do minor paint correction and not risky. The horror stories you hear aren't from random orbital buffers.
2) you cannot buy a random orbital buffer at Walmart that will do anything more than spread product around. They're not nearly fast and powerful enough to "work" the paint.
3) You don't want to buff out water spots unless you plan on doing a full paint correction. The minerals in water spots are harder than your clearcoat is, and they can and will cause swirls if you attempt to power them off with a buffer.
4) Clay might work, but clay is not a finishing product. It's an initial product. It's a mild abrasive that absolutely WILL cause some swirling. Clay is meant to be followed up by polishing.
5) As usual, Fabrik8 is correct. Paint cleaner/cleaner wax is your best "over the counter" choice. They contain lubricating agents and will gently break down the mineral deposits without much paint damage. Just know that a dedicated paint cleaner will work best, but will require a separate wax afterward.

If you're really feeling froggy, get some of this stuff (the MX-7 in the green on white bottle).

It contains no abrasives and with absolutely no elbow grease turned this:

Into this:
Old 09-30-2010, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5 B0MB5

thanks for all the help guys and as soon as this rain goes away and its decent enough outside to do it, ill take before and after shots.

flite- where can i find a bottle of mx-7

Quick Reply: Water spots.