Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

VA inspection question: Hood Pins, No Latch

Old 07-30-2012, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CE9Aevo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default VA inspection question: Hood Pins, No Latch

My current inspection is good until 2/13. Just thinking about going through the inspection process with my E36 BMW. It has a carbon fiber hood with sparco hood pins, the oem latch has been removed (previous owner). Below is an excerpt from the Official Inspection Procedure:

16. – INSPECT HOOD AND AREA UNDER THE HOOD FOR:

•Operating condition of hood latch.
•Presence of emissions system -Evidence that any essential parts have been removed, rendered inoperative or disconnected.
•Fluid levels that are below the proper level
1. Brake fluid.
2. Power steering fluid.
•Power steering belt - proper tension, wear, or absence.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Registered member

jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02
Default Re: VA inspection question: Hood Pins, No Latch

All it says is that it has to have an operating latch. I don't see why hood pins wouldn't pass inspection. They still allow the hood to be opened and closed and latched so it won't fly open on the highway. I suppose it really depends on the inspector though. Why don't you call the place you'll be getting the inspection done and ask their inspector if he would pass a car with hood pins?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I'm pretty sure the intent is just to ensure access under the hood for inspection purposes and emergencies.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Boost is Better

sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx

I have had a car pass with them and the same not pass at another location. It all depends on the "interpretation" of the rules and if the inspector likes you/your car or not. I have heard of inspectors failing cars for having too big of rims on cars if they rub in the fenders but pass a car that is too low and does the same. Just because they like the look of lowered cars and hate the look of lifted cars with 30" inch chrome rims.

Technically it should pass though as it doesn't disclose that it has to be the OEM latch. Just a latch.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Registered member

mikejones002100 has disabled reputation

My uncle has been a state inspector for 20+ years and has never failed for hood pins... like already stated it doesnt have to be oem just a functional latch..which hood pins is 2 latches in reality.. id op for a stock hood latch just because i hate the holes in the hood and looks ricerish.. but other than that it is a functional latch and should easily pass inspection
Old 08-01-2012, 07:48 AM
N2OWNED

99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula

There are cars that came from the factory with hood pins. They pass inspection. I would think you will be fine.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

I have those same hood pins and I have never had a problem, but VA inspections are a farce, so it's up what mood the inspector is in.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:08 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

19VAC30-70-260. Hood latch system.
A. "Hood" means any exterior movable body panel forward of the windshield that is used to cover an engine, luggage, storage or battery compartment.
B. Inspect for and reject if:
1. Each hood is not provided with a hood latch system that will securely hold the hood in its proper fully-closed position.
2. A latch release mechanism or its parts are broken, missing or badly adjusted so that the hood cannot be opened and closed properly.
NOTE: The hood latch release inside the passenger compartment is only for security and shall not be rejected under this section. If the hood latch cable can be accessed from either the inside or outside of the vehicle and opened by pliers or similar method, then it will pass.
3. Latching system on a vehicle equipped with a tilt cab is defective, broken, missing, or not properly adjusted so that the tilt cab is held securely when it is in its latched position.

Straight from the handbook, which I have sitting on my desk in front of me. There is no mention of factory style or cable operated, other than stating that the inside cable is NOT to be a rejectable item.

Hood pins are fine, they fall into the criteria for "securely holding the hood in its proper fully-closed position"

Originally Posted by sircrx
I have had a car pass with them and the same not pass at another location. It all depends on the "interpretation" of the rules and if the inspector likes you/your car or not. I have heard of inspectors failing cars for having too big of rims on cars if they rub in the fenders but pass a car that is too low and does the same. Just because they like the look of lowered cars and hate the look of lifted cars with 30" inch chrome rims.

Technically it should pass though as it doesn't disclose that it has to be the OEM latch. Just a latch.

Anything causing the tire to come in contact with the body or frame during normal suspension travel or operation is a rejectable item.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

CE9Aevo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies. I will take the time to visit my inspector before the inspection is due just to have his interpretation of the inspection criteria.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:48 AM
TheMuhFuggin♂

burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy burnoutboy

Cool hood pins bro.

Quick Reply: VA inspection question: Hood Pins, No Latch