Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

VA DOT question...

Old 01-14-2003, 06:51 AM
Former 757'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous
Default VA DOT question...

My 91 RX7 was wounded ona trip to work one morning. It was from one of those sharp bumps on 264. After I hit it, then can fell on its ass and never recovered. I'm going to have the compression tested tomorrow. If the result is a blown engine, could the DOT be held liable for shitty-ass roads? Depending on what the cause is of course? Also, could I cover a rebuild with my insurance policy (full coverage all around)?
Old 01-14-2003, 07:24 AM

JasonVT is an unknown quantity at this point

VDOT is not resposible. they may fix the road as a result (unlikely considering the financial shape they are in) but they wont fix your car.

if the fix for the car is a rebuild, and it is less than the car is worth to the insurance company, you may be able to talk them into it. if you can afford it tho, pay for it yourself.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:28 AM
I'm not into cars

reXer has disabled reputation

yep... blew my tire on a raised manhole cover... DOT won't do anything. Insurance should cover it though as long as it was accidental.... that's what it's there for.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:41 AM
I am the way.

Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula Gaius Caligula

I heard a case about a women winng a case like this...

It was the DOT's fault because they didn't not have a warning of a certain road hazard or something, like if they forget to put up "Construction Ahead" signs then it doesn't give you time to react. Go check the area and make sure they have the proper signage warning you of future rough roads.
Old 01-14-2003, 07:54 AM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Originally posted by reXer
yep... blew my tire on a raised manhole cover... DOT won't do anything. Insurance should cover it though as long as it was accidental.... that's what it's there for.
I'm hoping that it'll be covered, it IS physical damage. I'll have to look over my policy though.
There's no way in hell I have the money for a rebuild. This isn't a piston motor, it's going to run about $1.5k just for parts.
Everyone who lives in VB should know what I'm takling about. There's about 6 of them, the really sharp bumps on the interstate. A couple of them are so hard it makes my CD player skip... on old worn out stock suspension.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:26 AM

JasonVT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by FastX7
I'm hoping that it'll be covered, it IS physical damage. I'll have to look over my policy though.
There's no way in hell I have the money for a rebuild. This isn't a piston motor, it's going to run about $1.5k just for parts.
Everyone who lives in VB should know what I'm takling about. There's about 6 of them, the really sharp bumps on the interstate. A couple of them are so hard it makes my CD player skip... on old worn out stock suspension.
well if everyone should know about it, might i suggest slowing down before running over the bumps?
Old 01-14-2003, 08:28 AM
Former 757'er

Originally posted by JasonVT
well if everyone should know about it, might i suggest slowing down before running over the bumps?
I don't go below the speed limit It actually happened around 50mph.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:32 AM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

damn dude, sorry to here that. i guess you can always get the 93 on the road . insurance should cover the repairs, if its cheaper than it would be for them to just total it.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:40 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

My grandmother in NY made the city pay for her tire when it blew from a pothole. Trust me, it was easier for them to pay for it than to deal w/ my grandmother.

But good luck on your venture.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:32 AM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

Originally posted by FastX7
Are you talking about the ones heading west before Lynnhaven?

If so you can stay in the second lane from the right and they arent as bad, then after you pass Lynnhaven they are pretty much gone.

Quick Reply: VA DOT question...