Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

V8 help. LM7 vs. LQ4 vs. LS1!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 08:22 AM
Danny@respecgarage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE
Default Re: V8 help. LM7 vs. LQ4 vs. LS1!!!

Im planning to switch over to one of these engines in my 240 drift car. Boost is really not an issue but I can toy with the idea. I would like to run a nice v8 with basic mods to yeild 400hp. The LS1 would be ideal, but the Lq4 sound like a nice budget build with similar results. Weight doesnt really matter. My car weights around 2300lbs with the SR right now. I can live with another 100lbs if it means it will save me thousands of dollards. These engine seem to be priced really good compared to the LSjuan. I would love to get a hold of an ls2, but they are out of my budget. The ls1's i have found are either too expensive of have damage to them.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Score a LS6 (Engine that comes in the C5Z) and you're there. Its the same as the LS1 except with a free-er flowing intake and head and a cam to compliment. Rolled off the production floor with 400hp. Either that or a LS2 which will leave you more room to upgrade.

Last edited by RandomTask; 10-03-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:59 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

are you only wanting the newer style for the injection??

you could run a older sbc 350 with aluminum heads and a nice cam and be around 400 hp...
Old 10-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

importcraz1 has disabled reputation

if you already have an ls1 then keep it and run I thing the lq4 heads or one of those makes for a very nice package. You would have to look it up which stock head it is. Personally i'd run the ls1 with patiriot heads and header exhaust and ls1 edit.No point on buying a very expensive engine. Ls1 are very nice even an older lt1 can be had for a very low price. And with proper bolt ons and a tune can run very respectable numbers

wait sorry I think it's L98 heads.

Last edited by importcraz1; 10-03-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by RE-SPECGARAGE
Im planning to switch over to one of these engines in my 240 drift car. Boost is really not an issue but I can toy with the idea. I would like to run a nice v8 with basic mods to yeild 400hp. The LS1 would be ideal, but the Lq4 sound like a nice budget build with similar results. Weight doesnt really matter. My car weights around 2300lbs with the SR right now. I can live with another 100lbs if it means it will save me thousands of dollards. These engine seem to be priced really good compared to the LSjuan. I would love to get a hold of an ls2, but they are out of my budget. The ls1's i have found are either too expensive of have damage to them.
If you have a 2300 lb drift car, an extra 100 lbs in the front wouldn't do you any favors. If you're going to argue with that, you probably aren't very serious about keeping it as a drift car. If that's the case, put the heaviest, cheapest engine you can get in it and call it a day.

So it all comes down to whether you want a cheap project car or a performance/drift car.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:52 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

I have a running, driving FULL LS1 swap, complete with harness and ECU AND auto transmission I will give you for $2500.

I want a stroker motor, buy this from me.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you have a 2300 lb drift car, an extra 100 lbs in the front wouldn't do you any favors. If you're going to argue with that, you probably aren't very serious about keeping it as a drift car. If that's the case, put the heaviest, cheapest engine you can get in it and call it a day.

So it all comes down to whether you want a cheap project car or a performance/drift car.
This is good advise.

All the power can be had by starting with an iron 5.3L or 6.0L but if you're serious about your car you should stick to an all aluminum platform (ls1)

Personally, I'd build a 5.3L from something like a Silverado. A solid exhaust with a cam swap can make almost any import platform feel pretty quick and it's a really cheap route now'a days.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

importcraz1 has disabled reputation

agreed 5.3 can be found cheap with a little leg work.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

I got a good running but high mileage 5.3 I could get rid of at the right price.

and an lsjaun
Old 10-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

Very good info shared so far. Adding another 100lbs to my car wouldnt really hinder the overall performans when the power has increased. Will it understeer.....HUMMM. Maybe, but I can adjust my suspension to compensate for that. I would really love to jump on an ls1 or better, but to find a complete engine for less than $2500 is rare. I dont need the ECU nor auto trans. Just the engine and harness.

Im not really familiar with these engines and that is why i posted this up. If anyone has anymore info or links I would appreciate it.

Also if anyone has an LS1 or better short block and looking to sale it.....hit me up.

Quick Reply: V8 help. LM7 vs. LQ4 vs. LS1!!!