Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Turbo or Supercharger

Old 02-12-2006, 06:07 PM
AWD 8U

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1slowAWD has disabled reputation
Default Turbo or Supercharger

i am asking you people of dragVA cause you seem to be the most experianced so here goes , i have a 1992 jdm h22a prelude with 50thousandns of the head shaved to raise compression...... and i was thinking about selling the car but then thought y im out of a license for a year i can play with it and have it ready for next year so......in the mean time i was wondering what would be a better path to walk buying and investing around a turbo kit or buying and investing around a supercharger and why i should do so? now i do know that for ither of these i need to get a low compression head gasket to lower compression id also like to know what other precautions i should take with this
Old 02-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Hereeeeesss Beezyy!

word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris word itz chris
Default Re: Turbo or Supercharger

Superchargers need less repair. Turbos need a lot of attention.

I have a supercharger and I like it. Not much work, other than a belt here and there.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:11 PM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts

dont supercharge a 4cyl unless its some autox/roadrace gokart.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:13 PM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by word itz chris
say that when youre ~500whp

went through several pullies, god knows how many belts..

and as most people know i drove the car less than 2k miles a year
Old 02-12-2006, 06:33 PM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by word itz chris
I'm almost scared to ask what the fuck you're talking about.

Superchargers are easier to install, and make power across the board.

Turbo's are harder to install, and only make power up top, but generally make more of it.

I'm no Honda kid (actually, I despise them), but boost on an H22 with raised compression sounds like a recipe for nightmares and heartache.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Banned

KyleVA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spic
I'm almost scared to ask what the fuck you're talking about.

Superchargers are easier to install, and make power across the board.

Turbo's are harder to install, and only make power up top, but generally make more of it.

I'm no Honda kid (actually, I despise them), but boost on an H22 with raised compression sounds like a recipe for nightmares and heartache.
Agreed.

Lower the compression and turbo.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:59 PM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

dont worry about the head being shaved, get some low comp pistons and as long as your compression is somewhere around 9:1 you will be fine for boost. Also you need to set a hp goal. If you want something with quick response, like a supercharger. Get a smaller turbo (like a t3) it will spool on your h22 quick as hell. I would suggest something bigger though because you will want to push more air and create more power than just a t3. I have a t3/t4 on a
d16 and the lag is not bad at all. It spools it at around 4k rpm (maybe has something to do with mine being a stage 3 wheel, I figured it wouldnt spool until a higher rpm but hey. Its better this way...) I believe when I put it on a 1.8 it will spool somewhere around 3k or 3.5k...

With honda motors, turbo is where its at...
Old 02-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Handling is Key!

Voodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these partsVoodoo ST is infamous around these parts

Thicker head gasket and turbo is the only way to go!
Old 02-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

What kind of supercharger, roots or centrifugal?

Also, how much power are you shooting for? If you're just going for a modest power increase, you can keep the turbo on the sane side and keep pretty damn fast spool, especially if you go with a ball bearing center section. For around the same price, you could get a small ball bearing turbo and have fast spool or you can get a larger sleeve bearing unit and have more power but at higher RPM. You've already got fairly good torque down low, so you could probably go on the bigger side and have a great setup. Something around the size of a GT28RS would be sick, but a bit more $$ than something like a T3/T4.

The question is really what you want for power, and how much money you want to spend.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 02-12-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:59 PM
AWD 8U

1slowAWD has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
What kind of supercharger, roots or centrifugal?

Also, how much power are you shooting for? If you're just going for a modest power increase, you can keep the turbo on the sane side and keep pretty damn fast spool, especially if you go with a ball bearing center section. For around the same price, you could get a small ball bearing turbo and have fast spool or you can get a larger sleeve bearing unit and have more power but at higher RPM. You've already got fairly good torque down low, so you could probably go on the bigger side and have a great setup. Something around the size of a GT28RS would be sick, but a bit more $$ than something like a T3/T4.

The question is really what you want for power, and how much money you want to spend.

WELL , im looking to at least work my way to the 350 400 whp
and i will be satisfied , if i can get at least 300 out of the car by august 06 i will be very pleased , and i have ill have like 5'gs to play with by june

Quick Reply: Turbo or Supercharger