Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Turbo sizing help

Old 03-15-2010, 05:59 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC
Default Turbo sizing help

Well my beautiful B16b spun a bearing yesterday only 2 months after getting it back on the road now I知 thinking of doing something different. Thinking about putting a turbo LS in my Civic, but I知 not going for big power of anything just something useable for the track. I知 now starting to do research on turbos and just need a good idea as to where to begin looking. What would be a good size turbo for me to run on a road course? Engine will be mostly stock with maybe a set of turbo camshafts.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:34 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: Turbo sizing help

50 trim t3t4 .63 ar. Stock ls on about 5 - 7 psi will be all you need. No need for cams or even to crack open the motor.

What bearing did your b16b spin? Why not toss a ls crank in it and keep cruising? Your opening a can of worms going turbo for a car you want to roadrace.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:54 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

Originally Posted by Jarrod
50 trim t3t4 .63 ar. Stock ls on about 5 - 7 psi will be all you need. No need for cams or even to crack open the motor.

What bearing did your b16b spin? Why not toss a ls crank in it and keep cruising? Your opening a can of worms going turbo for a car you want to roadrace.
Not sure what I did to it yet, taking it out tomorrow to access the damage. Right now I知 just looking to see which route I want to go. Maybe try something different, or fix what I have. Not too sure at the moment.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n

Ill buy it
Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
Well my beautiful B16b spun a bearing yesterday only 2 months after getting it back on the road now I知 thinking of doing something different. Thinking about putting a turbo LS in my Civic, but I知 not going for big power of anything just something useable for the track. I知 now starting to do research on turbos and just need a good idea as to where to begin looking. What would be a good size turbo for me to run on a road course? Engine will be mostly stock with maybe a set of turbo camshafts.
I cannot really speak for honda motors, but to be helpful: You should specify what your power goals are, when you want spool to occur, etc.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

my power goals would be around 200-210 with spooling around 3k if possible
Old 03-15-2010, 12:12 PM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

From my perspective (1.6L w/ 7k redline and shitty flowing head) that would be something around the lines of a 2560 or a 2860.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

Originally Posted by Jarrod

THIS!!! If you just want around 200hp, i think 200hp naturally aspirated would be way better for the track then boost.

Less shit to break, less heat, and less shit to get messed up if try to play with tire walls. Not to mention n/a is going to be a bit more reliable.

N/A IS BEST!
Old 03-15-2010, 01:34 PM
1.6L Elitist

Originally Posted by Tarzan Bakerada
THIS!!! If you just want around 200hp, i think 200hp naturally aspirated would be way better for the track then boost.

Less shit to break, less heat, and less shit to get messed up if try to play with tire walls. Not to mention n/a is going to be a bit more reliable.

N/A IS BEST!
Disagree on all points except heat . Well tuned turbo systems are dead reliable. It's idiots who drive without tuning or exceed boost limits on stock components that blow shit up. How much would it cost the OP to build 200hp NA vs 200 hp on boost?
Old 03-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

Originally Posted by Newbsauce
Disagree on all points except heat . Well tuned turbo systems are dead reliable. It's idiots who drive without tuning or exceed boost limits on stock components that blow shit up. How much would it cost the OP to build 200hp NA vs 200 hp on boost?
You cant disagree with less shit to break and less shit to fuck up in a meeting with a wall either. I dont know anyone that tracks a boosted car that has less motor problems then i do...because i never have any.

EDIT: there was the one time when i fried my ignition wires

Quick Reply: Turbo sizing help