Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Toyota Halts U.S. Sale, Output of 8 Models as Image ‘Tarnished’

Old 01-27-2010, 04:43 AM
Forcibly Repped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu
Default Re: Toyota Halts U.S. Sale, Output of 8 Models as Image ‘Tarnished’

it's not the car mats, they've found the actual pedal mechanism is prone to sticking
Old 01-27-2010, 04:44 AM
Sorry. Not really.

BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve BentValve

Toyota quality has seriously declined over the years.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:47 AM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

Originally Posted by BentValve
Toyota quality has seriously declined over the years.
They were trying to be as big as GM, looks like they ran into the same problems of being that big.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:49 AM
B Nice

STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW STi_FTMFW

Damn, I applaud Toyota for doing the right thing. I'm really surprised they would actually halt production, they really are showing they care more for the customer than their monthly profits
Old 01-27-2010, 04:49 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

Originally Posted by Niburu
it's not the car mats, they've found the actual pedal mechanism is prone to sticking
Ohhhh, gotcha.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:50 AM
Full Retard

tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr tie fitr

Originally Posted by STi_FTMFW
Damn, I applaud Toyota for doing the right thing. I'm really surprised they would actually halt production, they really are showing they care more for the customer than their monthly profits
I highly doubt they are doing it out of the kindness of their hearts. I'm guessing they are facing serious litigation.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:53 AM
notched

Colt45 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JROW
Yeah, I think they're getting the dick sandwich. Sounds like it's all a cowinkydink but rather than be blamed for peoples deaths and continue getting sued they're giving in. IDK, floormats and gas pedals have always been a potential issue, in any car. Altho, if it's being held by hooks, then I guess it shouldn't be getting caught.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...ry-102572.aspx

Toyota announced it would recall approximately 2.3 million vehicles to correct sticking accelerator pedals on specific Toyota Division models. Toyota has investigated isolated reports of sticking accelerator pedal mechanisms in certain vehicles without the presence of floor mats. There is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position.

The sticking accelerator pedal recall is separate from the on-going recall of Toyota and Lexus vehicles to reduce the risk of pedal entrapment by incorrect or out of place accessory floor mats. Approximately 1.7 million Toyota Division vehicles are subject to both separate recall actions.

According to toyota the sticky pedal is different from the floormat recall. I'm pretty sure Toyota will be alright giving how rare the sticky pedal is, and its good to see them proactive about a fixing a defect. just glad my Tocoma isnt part of the recall.

Last edited by Colt45; 01-27-2010 at 05:34 AM. Reason: u guys post faster than me
Old 01-27-2010, 04:57 AM
conquer

PiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud ofPiGPEN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Niburu
There is actually an on-going recall of 4.2 million Toyota and Lexus' to reduce risk of pedal entrapment by incorrect and out of place mats. Yea, as stated, this is seperate from the accel pedal problem.

Originally Posted by Colt45
According to toyota the sticky pedal is different from the floormat recall. I'm pretty sure Toyota will be alright giving how rare the sticky pedal is, and is good to see them proactive about a fixing a defect. just glad my Tocoma isnt part of the recall.

Last edited by PiGPEN; 01-27-2010 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:02 AM
round ii

Black Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond reputeBlack Nugget has a reputation beyond repute

Had training on this entire issue yesterday, here is the inside scoop.

On February 5, 2010 Toyota will officially launch the recall for the Floor Mats. In this recall there are a total of 4.2 million vehicles that will be included. The reason for this is due to ALL WEATHER FLOOR MATS sliding down and jamming the accelerator pedal causing the vehicle to accelerate. A temporary fix is informing customers to remove all floor mats; carpet and all weather from their driver side footwell. A total of four fixes will be given under this recall. 1) Replace All Weather Floor Mats. 2) Reshape Accelerator Pedal 3) Replace Tibia Pad (Avalon & Camry Only). 4) Reflash ECU with Brake Override.
The brake overboost will consist of programming that when the brake and accelerator pedal are pressed simultaneously, the brake wins and ECU cuts acceleration.

The second recall that is being announced is the 'Sticky Accelerator' Issue. This recall, much like the first has not even been released, nor has the release date been announced. As an insider we are expecting it to go live with the first on February 5th. There are a total of 2.9 Million vehicles that fall under this recall... and counting.
The second recall came about by a State Trooper and his family being killed. Here's the story. A State Trooper, from what I've understood approximately 5 years on the job dropped off his vehicle for service and was given a Lexus as a loaner vehicle. While on the interstate with his family; wife and two kids the vehicle begun to accelerate uncontrollably. After a bit of driving the vehicle crashed, bursting into flames killing him and his family.
With the publicity of this incident, Toyota's reputation was compromised. Everyone who owned a Toyota begin to experience a 'Sticky Pedal' so they can get some sort of compensation. After VERY extensive and thorough testing Toyota announced that certain models equipped with the CTS Accelerator Pedal did in fact stick a bit coming back to the idle position slowly. Personally I think they stuck some dummies in a car, had them press the accelerator a few million times to see if eventually it did come back slower than normal.
Toyota takes safety VERY seriously, so they will be issuing this recall shortly.

If someone is experiencing the sticky accelerator issue you should put your vehicle into neutral, pull off safely to the side of the road, turn off your vehicle, and contact your local Toyota dealership.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

my 93 has a sticky peddle where me compensation

Quick Reply: Toyota Halts U.S. Sale, Output of 8 Models as Image ‘Tarnished’