VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   Top Gear America... and I predict it will fail miserably (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/top-gear-america-i-predict-will-fail-miserably-343111/)

Kim Jong Illin' 04-22-2010 05:37 AM

Re: Top Gear America... and I predict it will fail miserably

Originally Posted by Flite (Post 6272944)
I agree 100%. However, if they're going to go ahead with it, they need to REALLY watch the who they hire to host it. Tanner Foust will doom the show. I'm not even 100% sure Leno is a good choice to be honest. He's a famous car enthusiast, but I don't know if he's abrasive enough. He's funny, but his humor is the dry humor that works so well for Top Gear.

I actually change my mind about who I think should host it.

Tim Allen, Adam Corolla, and Brock Yates. That combo could work, but only if they have a charisma that leads you to believe they are actually friends off stage, not just co-hosts on a show. Maybe get Rob Dyrdek in there too, haha.

when leno first "retired" he expressly said that he wouldn't do an automotive-based tv show because he didn't want to make a hobby he loved a job.

Flite 04-22-2010 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kim Jong Illin' (Post 6272977)
when leno first "retired" he expressly said that he wouldn't do an automotive-based tv show because he didn't want to make a hobby he loved a job.

I know.... I was just listing names who I think would work regardless of if they would actually do it or not. I don't think he would the more I think about it though.

boredom 04-22-2010 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by benflagg (Post 6272706)
Shut your whore mouth, there is only ONE Stig, and he is everywhere, and hears all. Now apologize to the Stig and then go to confession. :D

top gear amurika isnt going to be able to afford the stig's appearances, plus travel. there is no way in hell this show lasts more than 8-10 shows before the plug gets pulled. they wont be able to test drive lamborghini's, porsche's, ferrari's, mercedes', bentley's, etc, because what company would be dumb enough to let tanner foust get behind the wheel of a 150k+ car and try to drift it? im predicting a bunch of fords, chevy's, and other bullshit companies no one really cares about. i'll continue to watch the show that has shown its worth.

fc3spitsfire 04-22-2010 06:56 AM

Epic Fail...

Kim Jong Illin' 04-22-2010 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Flite (Post 6273014)
I know.... I was just listing names who I think would work regardless of if they would actually do it or not. I don't think he would the more I think about it though.

nope. and like hanzo said, it's going to be tough with the uk comparisons. so i don't think it'll be all that successful regardless of who they pick to host.

Junon 04-22-2010 07:31 AM

It'll never work. Too many manufacturers would get butthurt whenever they're told their car is garbage.

I remember one episode where Hammond was waiting for the new Challenger (maybe Charger?) to arrive for review, and Dodge backed out at the last minute because they were afraid he'd be too critical of the car, and it would hurt sales. Hammond still went off and bought his own, and reviewed the car.

Try that shit in America, and you'll get sued with the quickness.

The Guy 04-22-2010 07:55 AM

Nothing. and I mean NOTHING will EVAR replace or be as good as the British Top Gear. And I cannot fucking stand foust. Supercars Exposed is a testament to his personality and ability to host tv shows.

Malfoy 04-22-2010 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Junon (Post 6273243)
It'll never work. Too many manufacturers would get butthurt whenever they're told their car is garbage.

I remember one episode where Hammond was waiting for the new Challenger (maybe Charger?) to arrive for review, and Dodge backed out at the last minute because they were afraid he'd be too critical of the car, and it would hurt sales. Hammond still went off and bought his own, and reviewed the car.

I don't think you will.

The Guy 04-22-2010 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Junon (Post 6273243)

On what grounds?

CarsRFun 04-22-2010 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by The Guy (Post 6273380)
On what grounds?

Since when did you need a good reason to sue someone and win in America?