Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Top Gear America... and I predict it will fail miserably

Old 04-21-2010, 05:55 PM
master debater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default Top Gear America... and I predict it will fail miserably

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.co...ear-usa-alive/

as a devout fan of the british show, it kind of pisses me off to see they failed so fucking miserably in casting the 'presenters'. this concept had a chance to find huge success, but once again idiots in executive positions dropped the ball, and the show will fall flat on its ass far before that 10th episode comes on.

tanner foust is trying his damnedest to get as much screen time as possible, but he has no personality and is actually pretty annoying. i don't even know who the hell the other two are, but from what i understand this adam ferrara guy has no 'street cred' other than being a 'renowned petrolhead'... which probably means that he may know how to drive a manual transmission. the other guy apparently is annoying as fuck to nascar fans... which speaks VOLUMES on how much he'll piss off everyone else.

i'm getting more pissed the more i think about it. i would have loved to have had a quality version of top gear here in the states, but it's quite obvious that will NEVER happen now, as it was hard enough to get buy-in on this version, and with such a no-name/no-talent cast of hosts it will surely fail, and being familiar with the american tv market, it won't have a chance to be resurrected for at least a few decades.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Registered member

DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus
Default Re: Top Gear America... and I predict it will fail miserably

Leno, Adam Corolla, and Funk master Flex. anything else would suck cock.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:00 PM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

+1 show will fail epically, there is a reason no one has been able to duplicate there show anywhere else. the three fucktards they picked will only make it worse, tanner foust gets on my last gotdamned nerves and adam ferrera is one of the most annoying "celebrities" in america.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Reef tank addict

phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber phyber

the reason why the guys on BBC top gear are on there is due to their media-relations resume. they all have broadcasting backgrounds in some way, and all enjoy cars, and seem to be knowledgeable at least.

while they review the cars on tv and it always comes out of edit like, "wow! jeremy clarkson can DRIVE!!!" its not really the case...most of the shots that impress us are probably done at lower speeds. obviously the "whats the top speed of this car?" shots are done on their secure track...

but if there was a car show that only jimmie johnson, michael andretti, and tim allen hosted....all three in love with cars and racing....it wouldnt really be a documentary show (as they try to make it...spiced with comedy)

i like BBC Top Gear as is, i dont see a need for a US version...what the hell can we really review? a chevy cobalt or ford fusion? Europe gets all the cool cars, and Top Gear even reviews JDM cars.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Reef tank addict

Originally Posted by DisturbedFocus
Leno, Adam Corolla, and Funk master Flex. anything else would suck cock.
i LOVE adam carolla! funny as hell and a huge car nut! the only problem would be should he ever get on a rant about something...that one hour show wouldnt be featureing much else
Old 04-21-2010, 06:03 PM
sccooopp

Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat

i believe Adam Ferrera is going to imitate Hammond.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:05 PM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

also the american car manufacturers wont allow these guys to tear up cars and then review them as trash.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Reef tank addict

Originally Posted by boredom
also the american car manufacturers wont allow these guys to tear up cars and then review them as trash.
lol bbc top gear reviewing the vette zr1...and the rear bumper flexed bigtime when you simply poke it
Old 04-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

ya the dude with spiked hair fucking sucks and if I ever personally saw him in pit lane I would call him a douche bag. He has the worst interviews ever on SPEED, tanner foust actually does shit...but in track cars or high end exotics. Never heard of the other guy.

I am more curious why this show is on history channel.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:26 PM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

the formula that works so well for top gear would be virtually impossible to duplicate here in the states. for one, it almost seems like they have an unlimited budget, with the trips they take throughout europe, the classic exotics they seem to dig up and drive all over the place, or the 'challenges' they put themselves through... but the main attraction of top gear is by far the presenters. they're fucking HILARIOUS, and they have an excellent chemistry. plus, in its now 15th season, it has tradition as well. only idiot fans like myself have seen the 'top gear ground force' special (that wasn't even really an episode) that had absolutely nothing to do with cars but was one of the best episodes of all time imo for its hilarity, or gets the humor when they refer to someone as 'having a crisis', or the weekly tradition of the two 'comments' when introducing the stig. (or the series of 'last week i went on the internet and found this...' or may mentioning something every week in the news about the dacia sandero) the fact that the show happens to be about cars just puts it over the top... but i'd watch it regardless because there is at least half a dozen points in every show where i'm literally rolling around laughing my ass off.

i can't see how these guys will be able to come even remotely close to this. it's borderline heresy for fans of the true show, and a bitter disappointment because they COULD HAVE found better presenters to at least give it a chance in the us.

Quick Reply: Top Gear America... and I predict it will fail miserably