Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Those with powdercoated wheels. Come in.

Old 03-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Patron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz
Default Those with powdercoated wheels. Come in.

Ok so as some of you may know I recently had my wheels powdercoated with a clearcoat.

Well tonight I noticed I was getting stuff sort of like stress cracks all through the clear of the two rear wheels. IMO it looks like complete ass.

My question to you guys is this. My dad and I are thinking it's possible stress on the rear wheels from being still then me taking off on them (just normally, not actual racing). Has anyone else suffered from this?

TIA
Old 03-02-2005, 06:21 PM
hostgator.com

flow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these partsflow fx is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Those with powdercoated wheels. Come in.

What brand wheels did you get, AFS?
Old 03-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

and where did you get them powdercoated? Locally? I've been thinking of having mine done black.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Patron

Bay Mechanical. I've heard good things about them, but I've had problems.

First off I was misinformed. I had previously heard that powdercoating a polished wheels will dull the finish, so I made it a point to ask the guy and he told me no...he was wrong.

Now this. I'm normally very passive, but I have well over $1K tied up into my wheels and two rear tires, so I'm not happy and if they cannot fix it then they will be buying me a new set.

And Corey you probably wouldn't have a problem since you wheels are just painted silver and not polished.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:31 PM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

well it's not the powdercoat that dulls the finish, it's the sandblasting/beadblasting prepwork that will dull it. so the powdercoating will stick to it. I haven't had any problems with stress cracks though, sorry.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Patron

Hmm and you have a decently powered RWD vehicle too. Ahh well I'm gonna see what he says tomorrow if he can fix them then great if he can't well something gonna have to be done because I refuse to roll on brand new wheels that look like absolute garbage.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:42 PM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

my current wheels still have the stock powdercoat on them fyi. I used to know someone that worked at Bay, I'll see if they know whats up.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:19 PM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

I had mine done at American Stripping. I haven't mounted them yet but I do know of an Evo who had his done there. His wheels still look immaculate after many months (maybe over a year, not sure) of hard street driving and autocrossing.

Have you spoken to Bay Mechanical about these problems? What do they think should be done?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:32 AM
Patron

Originally Posted by dave22
I had mine done at American Stripping. I haven't mounted them yet but I do know of an Evo who had his done there. His wheels still look immaculate after many months (maybe over a year, not sure) of hard street driving and autocrossing.

Have you spoken to Bay Mechanical about these problems? What do they think should be done?
I called last night and left a message with the guy that helped me out the first time. I told him how the 2 rears are cracking and how I was honestly a little upset when I got them back the first time because I was told the finish wouldn't be harmed, but that's neither here nor there. I then proceeded to tell him what the wheels looked like and he needed to understand that I had quite a bit of money (IMO) tied up into these wheels.

I'm awaiting a call back. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:10 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

I hope it all works out Joe. I need to check 'em out sometime.

Quick Reply: Those with powdercoated wheels. Come in.