Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

thinking about going this route, suggestions welcome

Old 07-26-2005, 06:11 AM
master debater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout
Default thinking about going this route, suggestions welcome

as a very select few of you who have actually spoken to me outside these forums should know, i have had a 240sx for over 6 years now that i have intended on putting an sr in for about 5. needless to say, things have continued to come up and it hasn't gotten done. now i am looking at finally being in the position to do it, but now i'm not so much interested with the concept of putting the motor in my car as having the motor in my car. in other words, i no longer have the desire to put it in myself. so... i am now faced with the options of ponying up and doing it while somehow managing my time between work, a wife, two kids, etc., having someone else do it, or just buying someone else's car. now, in the past i wouldn't have even considered that latter option but now it's starting to look better and better.

the reasons this would be a good way to go to me are obvious- i would get a lot more for the money i'd spend, and the work would already be done. the main bad thing about it is i'd be buying someone else's work and would therefore have no claim to it as being my own- i would be just another dude who bought the car the way it is- and i may be buying someone else's problems. but like i said before, i just really don't see myself finding the time, patience, and still money to put everything together myself.

this is one i found, if i had the money right now i'd be driving it-

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

discuss.

Last edited by blackout; 07-26-2005 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:17 AM
Jesus bilt my hotrod

Focal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these partsFocal E46 is infamous around these parts
Default Re: thinking about going this route, suggestions welcome

I'd buy it, it looks nice, but like you said, you can't claim shit on it. It all really depends on how much motivation you have, I'm starting to get pretty lazy myself and finding all the work to not really pay off.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:19 AM
MOB
Versus1

MOB MOB MOB MOB MOB MOB MOB MOB MOB MOB MOB

I would definitely perform the swap myself. Not only can you say you did it yourself, you'll know the car inside/out if anything goes wrong.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:28 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by yellowbastrd
I would definitely perform the swap myself. Not only can you say you did it yourself, you'll know the car inside/out if anything goes wrong.
this is definitely true. i keep trying to tell myself that i would be able to fix it no matter what goes wrong, but having never gone all the way through with that particular motor would cause a lot of diagnosing that wouldn't have been necessary otherwise.

a couple years ago during my stint as a mechanic i replaced a motor in a navigator. anyone who is familiar with the process will tell you it's not an easy task. i actually decided to lift the body off the chassis. but everytime a navigator came through after that it was absolute cake to work on.

good point. keep them coming. hopefully i'm giving you guys something to think about this morning too, so it works both ways.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:30 AM
TPJ
sumospeedDOTcom

TPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the roughTPJ is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by yellowbastrd
I disagree. I didn't perform my current swap, nor did I install the turbo kit, and yet I've still done more work additionally to it than most people do to thier own cars. I still feel that I know my car inside and out, but that may be because I know ( have met and talked to on many occasions ) the last three previous owners, and have kept up with the build of the car since the first time I seen it 2 years or so ago when Coby had it.

Just do research on the car, and check it out thoroughly before you buy. Run the VIN, find out who did the swap, where the motor came from, get reciepts, etc..
Old 07-26-2005, 06:45 AM
ITR prick #1...

boostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these parts

do whatever makes you happy andy...

fuck what everyone else says.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:53 AM
jarnett photography

akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei

Gotta do what works for you, but as someone else said REALLY check out the car before you buy it... you nailed it exactly saying you might be buying somenoe else's problems. I LOVED my 240, it was an absolute blast to drive, but given the choice I definitely would have waited and found a better one, it was a great learning experience and a great way for me to learn a LOT about SR's, but I did buy more problems than I bargained for. There are plenty of great cars out there w/ swaps already done - just check them out first...for instance, my engine was pristine, but the turbo was going and it wasn't tuned, so who knows how rough it was driven before me...

Good luck that car you are thinking about is beautiful!!!
Old 07-26-2005, 06:57 AM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

Is your car worth putting a new engine into? I mean, does it look as good as the one you're showing?

If that's a nicer car than yours in more ways than just the engine, I'd be looking at that. Then again, it could be completely ******-rigged and nothing works on it, and Philly's a hell of a way to go to test drive a car with an engine that was transplanted.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:59 AM
ITR prick #1...

boostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by akalei
Gotta do what works for you, but as someone else said REALLY check out the car before you buy it... you nailed it exactly saying you might be buying somenoe else's problems. I LOVED my 240, it was an absolute blast to drive, but given the choice I definitely would have waited and found a better one, it was a great learning experience and a great way for me to learn a LOT about SR's, but I did buy more problems than I bargained for. There are plenty of great cars out there w/ swaps already done - just check them out first...for instance, my engine was pristine, but the turbo was going and it wasn't tuned, so who knows how rough it was driven before me...

Good luck that car you are thinking about is beautiful!!!

you dont know me well enough to call me stupid..

just kidding. i am dumb....

Old 07-26-2005, 07:01 AM
jarnett photography

akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei akalei

Originally Posted by boostjunkie
you dont know me well enough to call me stupid..

just kidding. i am dumb....

hahaha sorry, there's not an "im with the person above" smilie

Quick Reply: thinking about going this route, suggestions welcome