Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Tesla Roadster Leasing Program

Old 02-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Tesla Roadster Leasing Program

So this was just released that they will now offer a lease program:

$12,453 up front followed by $1658 monthly payments for 3 years.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/25/t...-noncommittal/

For those of you who dream of driving a Tesla Roadster every day, but perhaps have been a little too scared about the potential hassles of a long-term relationship to pull the trigger, we have some good news for you. Tesla Motors has said they're willing to let you and your Roadster at least live together for a while to see how things work out first. The company just announced a new lease program for commitment-phobes, good on new 2010 Roadster and Roadster Sport models.

According to the full press release you'll see after the jump, the new Tesla Motors Leasing program allows customers to lease a Roadster or Roadster Sport for three years on a 30,000 mile contract with monthly payments as low as $1,658 with a down payment. Okay, that might not seem very low, but it is a six-figure exotic sportscar... and think of how much you'll save on gas every month. If the relationship works out you can make it permanent or go your separate ways if it doesn't – At the end of the lease, customers can purchase their Roadster or walk away after paying a disposition fee.

The lease terms are spelled out in detail in the presser and on the company's website, but the sample lease in the release is for a Roadster with an MSRP of $111,005 and requires $12,453 up front, with 36 payments of $1,658 plus tax. Lessees get the same Tesla Ranger service as owners, where a mobile service tech will come to you for a buck for each mile they have to travel to and from the closest service center. If you're interested, you can get in touch with your closest Tesla dealer, or call 650-413-6300 for more information.

So I got curious as to how much it cost me to drive to work and back in 3 years.

My truck is a 07 GMC Sierra which averages about 16.5mpg. I drive 17 miles to work, so 34 round trip.

The Math:

34 Miles per Day = 8840 per year to work

Add in the avg cost of gas (I did $3) and it takes 535.75775758 gallons of gas which cost $1607.27 a year.

So over 3 years, 26,520 miles, 1607.27 gallons of gas spending $4,821.82. So basically 2 payments on the leasing program.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer
Default Re: Tesla Roadster Leasing Program

Sounds like a good way for then to lure in exotic owners who are still skeptics. Id love to dd a tesla lol.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:23 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally Posted by Topik
Sounds like a good way for then to lure in exotic owners who are still skeptics. Id love to dd a tesla lol.
I'm not sure how I'd feel. I would be afraid of how uncomfortable it may be.... and we all know how I64/I264/I664 makes for such a nice smooth ride into work.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:54 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

With all the battery weight, I'm sure the natural frequency is a lot lower so it probably isn't as fidgety as a normal Elise. They've probably changed the spring and damper settings to cope with the extra weight also. There are two here in town where I live, but I've never had a chance to corner the owners and creep them out with my nerd questions. FYI, they look really sexy in the dark charcoal gray metallic.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:56 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

NoShoes has first hand experience driving one of these, he got a tour of the building process and test drive. Maybe he can chime in.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

I sat in one in LA, quick fun fact, man who owns tesla also owns paypal. Another one of his company's is called Space-X. The prototyping facility for tesla is in the back of space-x (where part of Ironman 2 was being filmed). I have pictures of a bunch of the molds they went through and were just sitting in the garage. Anyway, I think they'd be good for around this area.

Dealer near Hollywood.

Last edited by RandomTask; 02-26-2010 at 01:29 PM.