Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Taking apart 3pc wheels

Old 09-30-2007, 12:44 PM
HHIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite
Default Taking apart 3pc wheels

So I bought some new wheels for the S2000. I'll say what kind of wheel once they actually get here and I post 'em up.

They're 3pc wheels and they're used. I'd like to take them apart and refinish them and replace the wheel/rim bolts. Does anybody have any experiance doing this. If it's too much of a pita to take them all the way apart, would there be any problem in just removing and replacing the bolts one at a time? I don't want to take them all the way apart if it's going to be a big risk that they could be untrued.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

IRR0MPIBLE has disabled reputation
Default Re: Taking apart 3pc wheels

I believe Cobra4b took apart some of his wheels...not sure if they were 2 or 3 piece, though.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:05 PM
MOB
Versus1

MOB MOB MOB MOB MOB MOB MOB MOB MOB MOB MOB

I took apart my old GT-7's before and they were 2-piece. Never did take apart either of my 3-piece WORK's. But that would be pointless if you're just trying to clean up your wheels since seperating the hub is the 3rd piece.

It's fairly easy. Just don't lose any of the bolts and be sure to torque everything down to spec when putting them back together.

Old 09-30-2007, 03:27 PM
HHIC

Wow, you even left the tires on. I was thinking I should pull the tires off.

but yeah, there's no need to pull apart any more than what you're done there. I'm just trying to get it down to the lip so I can polish them good.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:52 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

Enough mystery, spill the beans.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:00 PM
HHIC

haha, you act like I've been going on and on about these wheels for months. It's been about an hour.

I'll just post up pictures when they get here, or when I get them mounted on the car.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:07 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

Originally Posted by Flite
haha, you act like I've been going on and on about these wheels for months. It's been about an hour.

I'll just post up pictures when they get here, or when I get them mounted on the car.
An hours too long, I'm curious to know.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:06 PM
XGP15A-II

J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX J!NX

how many 3-piece wheels can there be, and just narrow doen the ones that fit an S2k
Old 09-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Remove the valve stem to let all of the air out of the tire. This removes any pressure forcing the wheel apart.

If you just want to replace the hardware you could do one bolt at a time torqing it to spec. If you want to remove the center to clean it and fully polsih the lip just make sure to follow the torque spec when replacing. For my CCWs it's 30-33 ft/lbs in a big star pattern.

Every now and then a wheel will develop a leak. If that happens you have to put the center back in, remove the tire, then pull the center, pull the wheel 1/2s apart, clean off remaining sealant, replace sealant and put it back together. My CCWs use 3M clear windo/door caulk.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:31 PM
HHIC

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Remove the valve stem to let all of the air out of the tire. This removes any pressure forcing the wheel apart.

If you just want to replace the hardware you could do one bolt at a time torqing it to spec. If you want to remove the center to clean it and fully polsih the lip just make sure to follow the torque spec when replacing. For my CCWs it's 30-33 ft/lbs in a big star pattern.

Every now and then a wheel will develop a leak. If that happens you have to put the center back in, remove the tire, then pull the center, pull the wheel 1/2s apart, clean off remaining sealant, replace sealant and put it back together. My CCWs use 3M clear windo/door caulk.
Thanks a lot. I appreciate it. I'm going to try to just replce the bolts one at a time if I can, otherwise I'll end up going the full route and taking them apart.

Quick Reply: Taking apart 3pc wheels