Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Soft tires and flat spots?

Old 09-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Srsly.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts
Default Soft tires and flat spots?

Ever since I put the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s on my car, I've been getting a slight balance problem at about 50mph. The weirdest part about it though, is that the tires will only shake after they've sat a couple days, but once they've warmed up from driving (about 5-10 miles), the shaking goes away. I've had the tires road force balanced and the balance machine said that both the wheels and tires are perfect. I've also double checked all the suspension components and everything checks out fine. After a little bit of research, I found that a tire with soft tread, like the GS-D3, is prone to getting flat spots after sitting. It makes perfect sense that that’s the problem. Has anyone else experienced this with soft treaded tires?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:10 PM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd
Default Re: Soft tires and flat spots?

I've got the DSG3's in the rear and havent driven the car much lately, but when I have, I havent noticed anything, though if I drove the car more, I might be able to tell......
Old 09-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by travisnd
I've got the DSG3's in the rear and havent driven the car much lately, but when I have, I havent noticed anything, though if I drove the car more, I might be able to tell......
Your GS-D3s are only on the rear though. It's probably going to be a lot less noticeable than the front tires. I dunno though...
Old 09-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

QuickV6 has disabled reputation

Those tires are going to be the death of you.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:47 PM
Im here for the beer

CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun CarsRFun

never heard of this before.. never had any issues with mine.. but again.. they were in the rear.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz

I've actually had harder tires develop flat spots in colder weather.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:02 PM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by Revs_2_9k
Those tires are going to be the death of you.
+1

Give it a rest Captain Anal. Its fine. You really want to feel some vibration, put some solid motor mounts in
Old 09-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Patron

Cactus_Jack has disabled reputation

it's those damn knomes that roam the night, looking for cars to steal. They steal your car, and purposely disengage the ABS just so that can slam the brakes and put flat spots on your tires....it's a proven fact....ok, just kidding, but honestly, how much vibration are we looking at? If its major, it may be your struts, if its just minor vibrations here and there, I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:02 AM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

Yes, my Toyo T1-R's do the same thing. Mostly noticable on winter mornings until they get some heat in them.

No big deal. I've got some race tires with a flat spot you can rest a drink on, if you want to see what that feels like at 50 mph.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:36 AM
Registered member

JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74 JDM74

Bias ply mud tires do it all the time. I'm pretty sure my Sumitoma 315's on the Formula also do it since it sits in the the garage for long periods of time and I notice some bouncing when I first take it out. It goes away after the tires get some heat in them.

Quick Reply: Soft tires and flat spots?