Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

so i change the clutch on my fc

Old 12-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Runya Runya Runya Runya
Default so i change the clutch on my fc

it was a success. imma tell you now its all eazy to take off. but to put the tranny back in is a bitch. especially if your laying on your back. but i manage to do it. the only problem is. it wont start. i had to leave to go to work so i just push started it and it ran. the thing is im 98% sure that i put the starter back on right. i hear the click from the relay but no click from the starter. its about 2 weeks old. cause the original one got too old. the other weird thing is the battery has been good. while the car is on it runs at 14.7. but if i turn the car off. the batt is almost dead. this didnt happen prior to the new clutch installation. could it be the starter? thanks in advance. imma look at the haynes manual after i post this. thanks
Old 12-19-2006, 05:11 AM
Bath salt trippin'

Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon
Default Re: so i change the clutch on my fc

Did you remove the battery in the process? Did you put it on concrete if you did? My understanding is that the concrete eats the charge and kills the battery. Just a thought.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:18 AM
I hate soccermoms

v8Buster has disabled reputation

concrete kills the batter, but not fast unless it was already dying when he put it on the concrete, check your battery man, jump it and tap on the starter if u need to. but im 99% sure thats the battery. also check your GROUND wire for it, i had a lose mount and my ground came off all the time and lol needless to say, i had to have someone hold the ground to the tranny and then it would start.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:33 AM
Registered Member

wanbes13drifter has disabled reputation

I had a similar problem with my FC yesterday check you neutral safety switch make sure you pluged it back in. And also make sure the battery is in all the way.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:59 AM
misunderestimated

Yamamaha has disabled reputation

how does concrete kill the charge in the battery? I personally think that it doesnt matter if you sit the thing on the ground/concrete/block of wood...whatever. If your battery goes dead from the point of taking it out, to the point of contact with the ground and only being there for a little while, you obviously would have needed a new battery anyway. Either that, or you need a new alternator.

The obvious thing is, is that it wont start with the starter. Get out a deadblow hammer, and hit the starter a couple times, if it starts because of that, then you need a new starter. if not, check the wiring.

Last edited by Yamamaha; 12-19-2006 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

KhanArtisT has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Runya
it was a success. imma tell you now its all eazy to take off. but to put the tranny back in is a bitch. especially if your laying on your back. but i manage to do it. the only problem is. it wont start. i had to leave to go to work so i just push started it and it ran. the thing is im 98% sure that i put the starter back on right. i hear the click from the relay but no click from the starter. its about 2 weeks old. cause the original one got too old. the other weird thing is the battery has been good. while the car is on it runs at 14.7. but if i turn the car off. the batt is almost dead. this didnt happen prior to the new clutch installation. could it be the starter? thanks in advance. imma look at the haynes manual after i post this. thanks
lol same thing happened to me when I did my clutch, the starter was siezied. All I did was take it apart and put it back together and its still good. Maybe one of my friends dropped it by accident or something, it was random as hell. Take your starter out and take it to a parts store and have it tested, advance does it for free. Try to jump start it too in case the battery is shot, take that to advance too. Take the starter out and see if it spins when you turn the key. Hit me up if you need some help.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:33 PM
I hate soccermoms

v8Buster has disabled reputation

the moister in the ground kills the battery quicker.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by v8Buster
the moister in the ground kills the battery quicker.
No.

Total bullshit, but one of my favorite car-related myths.

Batteries with plastic cases (and who doesn't have a plastic case battery?) aren't affected by sitting in moisture or on concrete, UNLESS there is battery acid or some other electrolyte on the case which can then make a slow leakage path to ground. Basically, there has to be something conductive on the outside of the battery for there to be a leakage path. Clean batteries aren't affected in the least.

This myth came about from the really old rubber case batteries, the case was slightly porous and there was some carbon content in the rubber, so they would have a slight discharge path to ground if the concrete was moist.

Back on topic, you probably just forgot to hook something back up, or you've unintentionally loosened a connection while things were getting moved around. I'm sure it's something really simple.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-20-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:36 AM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
No.

Total bullshit, and one of my favorite car-related myths.

Batteries with plastic cases (and who doesn't have a plastic case battery?) aren't affected by sitting in moisture or on concrete, UNLESS there is battery acid or some other electrolyte on the case which can then make a slow leakage path to ground. Basically, there has to be something conductive on the outside of the battery for there to be a leakage path. Clean batteries aren't affected in the least.

This myth came about from the really old rubber case batteries, the case was slightly porous and there was some carbon content in the rubber, so they would have a slight discharge path to ground if the concrete was moist.

Back on topic, you probably just forgot to hook something back up, or you've unintentionally loosened a connection while things were getting moved around. I'm sure it's something really simple.

I always heard that it was cold concrete that kills batteries. I also heard it can give you hemroids fast.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:46 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Cold concrete can make a battery have less output power, but only as long as it stays cold. It just slows down the chemical reaction in the battery, just the same as starting the car in the winter. The battery isn't damaged by it though, and as soon as the battery is up to ambient temp, it's like nothing ever happened.

Quick Reply: so i change the clutch on my fc