Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

So, I built a sub-box today... whatcha think?

Old 06-06-2010, 03:54 PM
HHIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite
Default So, I built a sub-box today... whatcha think?

So I tried my hand at building a box today. I'm going to buy a JL stealthbox for my truck, but I've had this freebie Polk subwoofer laying around for years, so I figured I'd try it out. I had to buy a big sheet of MDF when I fabbed up door speaker brackets for the rear doors, so I had excess material. Total cost for this sub setup is about $7. I had to buy a connector cup for the box, and I didn't have any more speaker wire, so I bought a few more feet.

With the seat up

Seat down

closer

What the bottom looks like

This may be a horrible design, I have no idea. A couple weeks ago I knew exactly jack schitt about car stereo. All I knew is that the factory stuff was horrid. I haven't turned this up yet, I just placed it in there, hooked it up to confirm it was working, and that's it. I'm going to take it back out, sand it all down smooth, and carpet it. If it works out good, I'll sell it to some other Tundra owner when my Stealthbox gets here.

Here're the rest of the install pictures:

Infinity Kappa 60.9cs in the front door. The tweeters are huge so I didn't know where else to mount them. This will work for now. The mid-bass are in the factory spot.

Rear doors... Infinity 50.9cs back here

And this is the only really cool part (cool to me anyway)...
The factory head unit is still there. I'm running a JL Clean Sweep. It's mounted under the center console ahead of the cup holder. There're no user controlled setting after the initial setup, so it's hidden away out of site.
This is the volume knob for the Clean Sweep. I don't like hacking away at factory stuff, but I don't mind sacrificing a blanking plate.

And a closer look shows where I mounted the power indicator for the Clean Sweep. I kind of knocked out 2 birds with one stone here. It still doesn't appear to have been modified really, and it also illuminates the cubby ever so slightly.

Anyway... give me any criticism you want. I know nothing about this, so I'm just doing trial by error here. If yo uhave any ideas on how to improve the sub box, let me know. As it is, it's about 1.2 cubic feet inside. I'm going to pack it with polyfill too I think. Why? I have no idea, it seems like a popular thing to do though and polyfill is cheap.

Oh yeah, I'm running a Alpine PDX-5 amp. The rest of the install has been done for a couple weeks now. To me, it sounds insane. It's block party loud and absolutely crystal clear. Even at low volume, the quality of sound is unlike anything I've heard. (No, I haven't heard much)
Old 06-06-2010, 03:56 PM
HHIC

Default Re: So, I built a sub-box today... whatcha think?

This isn't technical... and it's not exactly eye candy... it is automotive though... I wasn't sure where it should go, I just wanted to share. I put it here because... well... because I'm the moderator in these here parts.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:00 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

I don't know shit about the subwoofer, but the rest of your install looks great. Way better than some Tundras I see come through. Can't wait to check it out one day when you bring the truck in.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:05 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

well next time countersink your screw heads...and always silicone/caulk the inside of the box to seal it...

you could have made the box L shaped and hidden it under the seat...so it didnt stick out...

but if that is your first try then not to bad..

at least you had enough sense to keep the woofer off the carpet
Old 06-06-2010, 04:08 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

and on the door mirror inside covers...where you mounted the tweeters...

when you remove that cover there should be a big access hole behind it...

take and remove the screen off the tweeter and measure a hole and make that hole in the plastic piece and glue the tweeter in from behind,it will make it flush mounted...then get some speaker cloth and wrap the piece ..it will look factory
Old 06-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Tweeters could have gone on the pillars also, that would have angled them a little better and made the a little farther away so the difference in left/right distance would have be smaller.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:53 PM
######

L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K

I personally don't like the way way it is sticking out from under the seat, i think it would looke better if you did it width wide and just decrease with depth of the box.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:00 PM
HHIC

Originally Posted by nftuatn
well next time countersink your screw heads...and always silicone/caulk the inside of the box to seal it...

you could have made the box L shaped and hidden it under the seat...so it didnt stick out...

but if that is your first try then not to bad..

at least you had enough sense to keep the woofer off the carpet
Yeah, it was just a thrown together thing with what I have to see if it worked. If it sounds good, I'll countersink the screw heads. Hell, I'll probably build an entirely new box because there're some flaws in this one that wouldn't happen again. This was just a trial thing. As for the "L" shaped idea... it wouldn't really work with this subwoofer. There's only 5" under the seats. The subwoofer is 5" deep. I needed to come out to the area I did in order to clear the woofer. With a shallow mount woofer, I keep it all under the one seat and still have about .8 cubic feet of air. That would cost money though... and this didn't. Also, I still have room under the rest of the rear bench which I like I lot. I keep stuff there... strategically placed.

[edit]... oh yeah, it's sealed up inside with silicone caulk.

Originally Posted by nftuatn
and on the door mirror inside covers...where you mounted the tweeters...

when you remove that cover there should be a big access hole behind it...

take and remove the screen off the tweeter and measure a hole and make that hole in the plastic piece and glue the tweeter in from behind,it will make it flush mounted...then get some speaker cloth and wrap the piece ..it will look factory
There's not even close to enough room behind the sail panel. There's no room to mount them in the door either. There is really NO wasted space in the front door. I don't mind them where they are, so I'm in no hurry to move those.

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Tweeters could have gone on the pillars also, that would have angled them a little better and made the a little farther away so the difference in left/right distance would have be smaller.
There was a reason I didn't mount them on the pillar, but I don't remember off hand what it was. I know that replacement sail panels are like $10 so I didn't mind mounting them there temporarily. If I decide to mount them elsewhere, I'll just get new sail panels. These tweeters are SUBSTANTIALLY larger than most other car stereo tweeters too. That may have been why I didn't pillar mount them. It might have had something to do with the airbags too.

Also, when I'm at the beach listening to the stereo with the doors open, the door mounted tweeter carries much better.

Last edited by Flite; 06-06-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:03 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

im not talking on the a pillars...where the mirror mounts...there should be a good sized hole behind there..it may be covered with plastic...but its how you get to the mirror bolts/plug...im sure there is enough room to fit them there..
Old 06-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

how are ya gonna finish the box? I understand your rationale behind the tweeters sticking out but it would drive me crazy seeing them lol