Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Sequential Shifter, or H pattern

Old 03-24-2007, 09:43 PM
shake n bake!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-WOTisfreedom- has disabled reputation
Default Sequential Shifter, or H pattern

Im just wondering peoples thought on the two shifter systems I mentioned,with the use of the clutch would or would you like to shift without a clutch and still be able to shift. Take part in another intresting survey folks.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Sequential Shifter, or H pattern

What are you getting at? You can shift any type of (manual obviously, for the smart asses out there) tranny without the clutch, and it's not easier with a sequential. You still have to be at the right RPM to properly engage the next/previous gear, unless you want to shorten the life of the synchros or dog rings. I'm assuming you're talking about a sequential tranny with dog rings. Have fun living with that on the street. You could also get a synchro'd sequential, but it's not the greatest idea without using the clutch unless you're good enough to not need the synchros.
Really the answer to your question is to not worry about your gearset type unless you're making enough power to break your current tranny..
Old 03-25-2007, 02:29 PM
NEO VVL N1 BITCHES

JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot

i dont think he was even thinking about the differances between dog engagment and syncro. i think he just meant simply do you like a seq. or an H-pattern. and do you like a conventional clutch or a manu-tronic type automatic clutch where you just use padels.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:02 PM
posted on da block

l0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud of

h pattern and clutch is better then sequential. unless you wana be luxuary(sp)
Old 03-25-2007, 03:06 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Originally Posted by EleMeNtRacinC3E
h pattern and clutch is better then sequential. unless you wana be luxuary(sp)
And it's another tidbit of genius from EleMeNt...
Old 03-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz

DSG is nice
Old 03-25-2007, 08:51 PM
shake n bake!

-WOTisfreedom- has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jjkamikaze
i dont think he was even thinking about the differances between dog engagment and syncro. i think he just meant simply do you like a seq. or an H-pattern. and do you like a conventional clutch or a manu-tronic type automatic clutch where you just use padels.
Thanks, you understood my point.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:11 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I haven't driven a paddle shifted setup that I liked, but I haven't driven most of the cars that have it properly implemented (Porsche, Ferrari, etc.) The one that really sticks out in my head is the MR2 Spyder's system. It's pure garbage.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:07 AM

xian is an unknown quantity at this point

Sequential Manuals (ie. the MR2 Spyder system, with a real manual tranny and computer controlled clutch), are a great compromise, but I miss having a good 'ol fashion clutch pedal.

The SMT shifts slower, but the shifts are always perfect (as far as the rev matching goes/preserving the clutch, not damaging the transmission), and it's nice not having to feather a clutch in traffic.

BUT...like I said, the shifting is slower.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:12 AM
Racetracks

The shifting is only slower if the SMT system sucks. Ferrari's setups shift in 50-150ms (car/mode dependent), which is really fast. You're not going to beat that with your hand, I don't care who you are. Again, the MR2 setup is garbage, and really slow. Some of that is mechanical, some of that is the shift controller electronics. I'll take a nice, shift by hand sequential system. I'm not too into paddles, and most of the sequential manual trannies in the world don't have paddles, but most all of them are $$$ race trannies.

Quick Reply: Sequential Shifter, or H pattern