Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Same old problematic jetta..

Old 02-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Skippy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gazz Gazz Gazz Gazz Gazz Gazz Gazz Gazz Gazz Gazz Gazz
Default Same old problematic jetta..

Alright, Since I'm new here I'd like to start off by saying hello. Name's Brandon and I have a 2002 2.0L Jetta

Here's my problem. Recently I've noticed that my suspension has started to creak quite a bit whenever I hit a bump or even get in the car. I've been told it could be the ball joints, sway bar, lower control arms, shocks, and the VW dealership said I should get an entirely new suspension. I can't seem to get a straight answer and was wondering if anyone on here could chip in some advise.

Thanks in advance

-Brandon

Last edited by Gazz; 02-26-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:58 PM
C.R.E.A.M

DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM
Default Re: Same old problematic jetta..

Originally Posted by Gazz
Alright, Since I'm new here I'd like to start off by saying hello. Name's Brandon and I have a pos 2002 2.0L Jetta

Here's my problem. Recently I've noticed that my suspension has started to creak quite a bit whenever I hit a bump or even get in the car. I've been told it could be the ball joints, sway bar, lower control arms, shocks, and the VW dealership said I should get an entirely new suspension. I can't seem to get a straight answer and was wondering if anyone on here could chip in some advise.

Thanks in advance

-Brandon
First welcome Brandon to VADRIVEN.

Secondly it's a vw, my advice is to cut the springs and ride as low as you can. Buy some bbs wheels or something rare for like 5k, become a hipster and wear your gf's pants and listen to acoustic music and slightly homo techno music. Then post in dope status and the planets will align.

Just offering advice from my point of view, I secretly like vw's just hate these trends and attitudes certain people have. We have many vw owners on here who can guide you into the light, and help you

Once again welcome

-DOOM!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Probably a rubber bushing creaking. If the ball joints are dry enough to creak, they'd be worn enough that you'd hear that while driving. The sway bar doesn't have any moving parts, but the bushings that it rides in could creak, or possibly the end links that connect the sway bar with the control arms. Shocks can sometimes creak when the seals are dry.

There are a lot of rubber bushings though, so it's probably one of those.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:10 PM
artsy fuck

wesnot wesnot wesnot wesnot wesnot wesnot wesnot wesnot wesnot wesnot wesnot

strut mount bearings, my mk5 is on lowering springs and over time it has started to creak (especially in the winter) and a tech told me I need to replace my strut bearings.

don't take this as fact though.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

Originally Posted by DOOM
First welcome Brandon to VADRIVEN.

Secondly it's a vw, my advice is to cut the springs and ride as low as you can. Buy some bbs wheels or something rare for like 5k, become a hipster and wear your gf's pants and listen to acoustic music and slightly homo techno music. Then post in dope status and the planets will align.

Just offering advice from my point of view, I secretly like vw's just hate these trends and attitudes certain people have. We have many vw owners on here who can guide you into the light, and help you

Once again welcome

-DOOM!!!!!!!!!!
Listen to this man... hes Pre-Law.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 AM
Skippy

Haha alright thanks (I guess) for the welcome. And yeah I can pretty much hear it whenever I'm just driving. I'm not really looking to do anything more than fix the car right now as I intend to sell it come summer. It's been a complete pain in the ass costing ~2k just for repairs and maintainance since Feb of last year. Just want to make sure this is nothing serious before selling.

Thanks for your opinions
Old 02-10-2011, 10:38 AM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

For future reference, Brandon this type of thread belongs in Tech Talk.

Welcome
Old 02-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Skippy

^Ah alright. Thanks
Old 02-14-2011, 07:11 PM

actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball

Its bushings...somewhere. I fought this on a late 90's blazer as well. Grab a can of silicone lubricant and spray a pair of bushings/mounts at a SINGLE location on each side before you head out. If they stop squeaking for a day-you found your noise.

If I had to guess...another vote for sway bar bushings. Typical area on just about any vehicle.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=138485