Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Safety tip of the day. . . Welding

Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Safety tip of the day. . . Welding

So I always thought those drapes around welding areas was just to prevent incidental eye contact. directly at the arc . . .Last night I was working in the garage with one of the team mates on our chump team. He was finishing up tigging the cage and I was on the other side of the garage working on some other stuff. I wasn't even looking at him welding (facing the other way). Well I woke up late night around 4 am in absolute agony. It was like someone took a brillo pad and was going to town on my eyes. Trip to the ER taught me all about flash/arc burn. Doctor stated that the UV rays (which I couldn't see) were probably reflecting off of something, causing my injury. So hopefully I can prevent someone this discomfort with this warning. If you have someone welding, EVERYONE should be wearing proper eye protection!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:55 PM
under construction

EF_LOVE EF_LOVE EF_LOVE EF_LOVE EF_LOVE EF_LOVE EF_LOVE EF_LOVE EF_LOVE EF_LOVE EF_LOVE
Default Re: Safety tip of the day. . . Welding

My father is a welder and i've seen him get "welding flashes" quite a few times, although i've never personally had it he has told me its one of the worst things he has ever had to deal with. Sucks to hear you got it and weren't even the one welding
Old 07-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Registered member

sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl?

I think it's time to take legal action against this guy. I mean, he fucks your eyes all up and gets away with it? FUUUUUUUCK THAT.

Srsly tho: Sorry to hear that man, we always wear eye protection in the shop for this reason. Welding is serious shit. Hope you feel better.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

getting flashed a lot sucks, I wear dark tinted safety glasses all shift no matter the brightness out so if I have the visor on my shield up and getting an accidental arc the shit doesn't kill me. They are dark enough to actually use an oxy-acetylene torch but we have goggles for that
Old 07-14-2012, 06:05 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Yeah, it wasn't even a thing of seeing the arc, it was just the UV rays that got me. I've been around welding plenty and done tons of welding. Worse thing I've ever done is tan my arms from doing it in short sleeves. The pain in your eyes is indescribable. You can't open your eyes, you literally become blind. Thank god for percocet.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:35 PM
Troll & Run

ya I got in a rush yesterday while it was raining and I welded with my sleeves rolled up, burnt like hell on one arm lol
Old 07-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Registered member

jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02

Is this just for TIG, or is MIG welding that bad as well?
Old 07-16-2012, 08:49 AM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

I also thought this only happened from looking directly at it, thanks for the heads up man and hope you heal up quick.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Keeping It Real !!

ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer

Originally Posted by sixcyl?
I think it's time to take legal action against this guy. I mean, he fucks your eyes all up and gets away with it? FUUUUUUUCK THAT.

Srsly tho: Sorry to hear that man, we always wear eye protection in the shop for this reason. Welding is serious shit. Hope you feel better.
So its the welders fault that the OP got flashes ? I don't get your point but w.e

OP get better soon. Keep your protection glasses on at all times (during a welding session) in the shop.

Last edited by ravenracer; 07-16-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Troll & Run

Originally Posted by jaqattack02
Is this just for TIG, or is MIG welding that bad as well?
anything with an electrical arc can fuck you up

Quick Reply: Safety tip of the day. . . Welding