VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   S2K beat in hp/liter production engine = SSC AERO (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/s2k-beat-hp-liter-production-engine-%3D-ssc-aero-71453/)

MattnTheHATch 11-13-2004 07:36 AM

Re: S2K beat in hp/liter production engine = SSC AERO

s2ks rule... discuss...

BUMP IT UP!

dave22 11-13-2004 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Flite
Yeah but who really cars about top speed anyway. I'm sure that car will do every bit of 180 mph at least. Do you really need more.

Maybe if you had diarrhea.

ClassicJDMCars 11-13-2004 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Brian T
Its 180whp when its fully tuned at 7psi. It's a Power Enterprise turbo. Now you think I'm making the car up? I'm sure someone I know in person will pipe in that I have the car.

Pics:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...scene/mr-s.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...scene/vtec.jpg

Yea thats brians car... hardtop is so sexy :D

BigBake 11-13-2004 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by BLACKTURBOS2K
Your girl thinks that a s2k is a chicks car? And that you have a mans car? You have a out dated car. It has not changed for 20yrs, only the motor is diff. Heres a question, could you or your girl fit in a s2k? Live axle, THAT IS SO SHITTY. Your car is made like a truck. Get off of the BMW, Its a joke. If you want to talk about a bitch car then lets talk about the BMw. Who gets them? Mid 30s wife, 2 kids?

Outdated? Please share your vast wealth of knowledge of what parts my car shares with a 20 year old Camaro, let alone a 12 year old Camaro. I look forward to this reply. I think at her 115lbs and me at my 190lbs we could fit into to your danty little car. Live axle rules the drag strip, nothing you can say can prove that wrong.
The BMW a bitch car, like to see you prove that with statistics, lets see how many women own S2K's because they are cute little cars, and how many own BMW sedans? I am low 30's but that is not why I purchased such a fine machine.

BigBake 11-13-2004 10:04 AM

Thats my point its a Honda that is as much as a BMW? They are the entry lev. BMW. They dont do or have anything great.

At $47,000 MRSP I do not think a 330i ZHP is an entry level vehicle, and it has everything you could want other than an M3 engine. Please at least do some research before you post more bullshit.

BigBake 11-13-2004 10:15 AM

Weight has some to do with it but not all. The S2K stock makes alot more power. The Susp. is better and more stiff. The weight Diss. of the s2k is also better. They come with better tires, bigger tires a better 6 speed and a higher RPM. If it was Stock vrs Stock and the same driver then the S2K woul win. Why has C/D made it its best 2 seater? The MR@ is not evern in the top 10

All I have seen you post about is weight and suspension, but the stock S2K has very little tire contact patch which overall effects it's time going around corners, not to mention the stock sidewall is very thick comparitively to any vehicle that has been thrown around in this thread. It is also still underpowered and requires keeping the engine in the higher RPM's to maintain any momentum through any corner to ensure good power through the apex. Gee I wonder how I know all of this???? I know I can walk a S2K with my 330I sedan, because it has larger tire contact patch, smaller sidewall, better suspension, just as stiff chasis, more power, and at a much broader range and lower RPM, and better gearing. I have driven them both and like I said it was definitely nothing to brag about, I would buy the car for a wife.

MattnTheHATch 11-13-2004 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chris4130
Yea thats brians car... hardtop is so sexy :D

that car is gross.

Brian T 11-13-2004 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by MattnTheHATch
that car is gross.

Wow that's a first. If I drove a showcar I might be offended.

MattnTheHATch 11-13-2004 01:15 PM

i just really dont like the look of those things. saw some pics of some GT cars in a mag yesturday and those mr2's were hot as shit.

Brian T 11-13-2004 01:33 PM

I can understand, sometimes I look at my car and just see a big bubble, an attractive big bubble IMO, but a bubble nonetheless. Anyways, if you are refering to JGTC MR-S's they are the sex. I don't think anybody can argue that.

http://spyderchat.com/pics/1875eb40.jpg

http://spyderchat.com/pics/racing2.jpg

Ah MR-S leading the pack. And what's that way in the back? Is that a S2000? ;)
http://spyderchat.com/spyderimages/spirit.jpg

leolo007 11-13-2004 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by BigBake
All I have seen you post about is weight and suspension, but the stock S2K has very little tire contact patch which overall effects it's time going around corners, not to mention the stock sidewall is very thick comparitively to any vehicle that has been thrown around in this thread. It is also still underpowered and requires keeping the engine in the higher RPM's to maintain any momentum through any corner to ensure good power through the apex. Gee I wonder how I know all of this???? I know I can walk a S2K with my 330I sedan, because it has larger tire contact patch, smaller sidewall, better suspension, just as stiff chasis, more power, and at a much broader range and lower RPM, and better gearing. I have driven them both and like I said it was definitely nothing to brag about, I would buy the car for a wife.

First you say your car is much better than an s2k, then you said it all depended on driver, now your saying your car has better this and better that, and you would beat an s2k. I think your internet research is confusing you... go to the track and see the real life results :) you'll be dissapointed :cool:

leolo007 11-13-2004 07:30 PM

Ah MR-S leading the pack. And what's that way in the back? Is that a S2000? ;)
http://spyderchat.com/spyderimages/spirit.jpg

There is no telling how many times that MR-S has been lapped :D
no but seriously, once modified there's no telling what will happen. It all dependes on how much money was invested.

E36DJ 11-13-2004 10:23 PM

The MR-S by itself might look like an OK car, but only because of what it was designed to do.. as in, you don't see too many GTS-style touring cars, so the design looks cool.

If you look at what most companies have designed in similar racing series' they are just as impressive (or a LOT more.)

E36DJ 11-13-2004 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by dave22
I think if you drove one you'd be surprised at the engine's response. The only time you're waiting for 6K is in 1st gear. After that it doesn't really matter because you never drop below 6K again unless you want to slow down :)

If mine was still stock I'd be happy to let you drive it. I wouldn't say the power is useless. It doesn't really NEED the torque. You'd be hard pressed to pull on a stock S2k with a decent driver with your clearly superior torque. If you want to find out we can arrange a friendly run.

Please don't take my comments as argumentative. I just hate to see folks bashing something they've never experienced.

Sorry it took me a while to catch up in this thread, what a nightmare. I don't think I'd have issues pulling on an S2k, I've done it many times.
I make 185 lb-ft of torque at 2.5k RPM (to the wheels) 222 peak.
An S2k makes 95lb-ft of torque at 2.5k RPM (to the wheels) 130 peak.

Keep in mind, on paper, both of the above engines are marketed as having the same HP (240.) Obviously there's a lot more to an engine than peak hp.

The power isn't useless (as the s2k is obviously a lighter car) but it does make a difference in everyday driving, and would get reallllly annoying after a while.
I'm sure the response of the engine is fine, it's what it responds WITH that bugs me (ie. no tq/hp for most of it's rev-range.)

dave22 11-14-2004 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by E36DJ
Obviously there's a lot more to an engine than peak hp.

Like torque at 2500rpm? :D

Like I said, whenever you want to arrange a friendly run let me know. You have pulled on S2000s before and stock S2000s have pulled on E36 M3s before. With a competent driver, you WOULD be hard pressed to pull on a stock S2000. And any lead you managed would be a lot less than your extra ~100lb/ft of torque (or ~90lb/ft at 2500rpm :rolleyes: ) would suggest. :)

*edit*

Hell, my car makes peaks at 177lb/ft -way up at 8500rpm. I don't have any numbers for 2500rpm because the dyno sheet starts at 2995, but at 2995 I make 108lb/ft.

So, you= 185lb/ft at 2500rpm, 222 peak
And me= 108lb/ft at 2995rpm, 177 peak

Wanna see how hard you pull on me?

BLACKTURBOS2K 11-14-2004 06:52 AM

Like torque at 2500rpm? :D

Like I said, whenever you want to arrange a friendly run let me know. You have pulled on S2000s before and stock S2000s have pulled on E36 M3s before. With a competent driver, you WOULD be hard pressed to pull on a stock S2000. And any lead you managed would be a lot less than your extra ~100lb/ft of torque (or ~90lb/ft at 2500rpm :rolleyes: ) would suggest. :)

*edit*

Hell, my car makes peaks at 177lb/ft -way up at 8500rpm. I don't have any numbers for 2500rpm because the dyno sheet starts at 2995, but at 2995 I make 108lb/ft.

So, you= 185lb/ft at 2500rpm, 222 peak
And me= 108lb/ft at 2995rpm, 177 peak

Wanna see how hard you pull on me?

After you race him let me know I want to play also

E36DJ 11-14-2004 07:02 AM

After you race him let me know I want to play also

Sure moron, let's call in the single turbo supras and blown mustangs with drag slicks while we're at it. Perfect match for an M3. Ricer.

You see one match with your INCREDIBLE S2K and you can't even keep your mouth shut about it. No wonder this thread is fucking 36 pages long. I was talking stock.

BTW dave22, every dyno i've seen has the s2k peaking at 130 lb-ft, what kind of mods do you have?

BLACKTURBOS2K 11-14-2004 08:15 AM

Sure moron, let's call in the single turbo supras and blown mustangs with drag slicks while we're at it. Perfect match for an M3. Ricer.

You see one match with your INCREDIBLE S2K and you can't even keep your mouth shut about it. No wonder this thread is fucking 36 pages long. I was talking stock.

BTW dave22, every dyno i've seen has the s2k peaking at 130 lb-ft, what kind of mods do you have?

I dont know whats done to your car. You called me a ricer? I am so far from that. My whole point is that everyone here is talking shit and most have not driven or even been in a S2K. Dont get bent out of shape. You can belive what you want about your car. Ill say it again, we should all meet up and run at Summit Point. After that we can go to MIR. We can have a fun weekend together

Brian T 11-14-2004 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by leolo007
no but seriously, once modified there's no telling what will happen. It all dependes on how much money was invested.

I actually have that video on dvd. It's part of what motivated me to get a MR-S. All those cars are monsters. Ultimately, the two Silvias pulled ahead at the end, but the MR-S driver actually let off the throttle and allowed them up front to show the viewers the power of a turbo. I wish he raced fullout the whole time just to see what would happen, but I'm sure if he was up front for 2 laps, he would have remained the same. Oddly, the Spoon S2000 was pretty far behind. It didn't really have the advantage of lightweight like the MR-S or allout hp like the Silvias. That thing is a monster on mountain roads though.

I'd be down for tracking my car, but I have some cooling issues, so you'd see me pitting alot. Sometimes I think about selling the turbo and doing a GTS swap.

Flite 11-14-2004 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by leolo007

Kepp in mind that the total modifications for the Spoon S2000 include an airbox modification, an intake snorkle, full exhaust, weight reduction, wheels, and springs. Thats it. It's BY FAR the closest to stock of all those cars. My S2000 made more hp than the Spoon S2000 does and I had fairly basic mods.

Flite 11-14-2004 02:12 PM

E36 M3s have always been almost perfectly matched in a straight line race to my S2000, at any speed. S2000s are a different car than almost anything else out there. Quoting torque figures at 2500 rpms in an S2000 is just silly. Nobody with an S2000 even attempts to use the power at that low of RPM. Also keep in mind that as little torque as an S2000 makes, with a redline of 9000 rpms they are able to run a final drive ratio that more than makes up for the deficit.

BLACKTURBOS2K 11-14-2004 02:42 PM

I actually have that video on dvd. It's part of what motivated me to get a MR-S. All those cars are monsters. Ultimately, the two Silvias pulled ahead at the end, but the MR-S driver actually let off the throttle and allowed them up front to show the viewers the power of a turbo. I wish he raced fullout the whole time just to see what would happen, but I'm sure if he was up front for 2 laps, he would have remained the same. Oddly, the Spoon S2000 was pretty far behind. It didn't really have the advantage of lightweight like the MR-S or allout hp like the Silvias. That thing is a monster on mountain roads though.

I'd be down for tracking my car, but I have some cooling issues, so you'd see me pitting alot. Sometimes I think about selling the turbo and doing a GTS swap.

Have you looked at Koyo? They make a Rad. for my car, Iam sure they also make one for you. Do you have a intercooler? If so where did you put it? I over heat when it was 100 out and I had my A/C on. The damn I/C wont let that much air to the Rad.

Brian T 11-14-2004 03:18 PM

No IC...next on my list. They make an air/liquid with a heat exchanger for my kit. It's pretty nice. Larger radiator core would also be nice. I know some Japanese companies make them, but I would love to save a buck or two and grab it from a homegrown company. I'll take a look for it. The only thing I have keeping my car cool is an oil cooler.

E36DJ 11-14-2004 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Flite
E36 M3s have always been almost perfectly matched in a straight line race to my S2000, at any speed. S2000s are a different car than almost anything else out there. Quoting torque figures at 2500 rpms in an S2000 is just silly. Nobody with an S2000 even attempts to use the power at that low of RPM. Also keep in mind that as little torque as an S2000 makes, with a redline of 9000 rpms they are able to run a final drive ratio that more than makes up for the deficit.

True, torque isn't as big of an issue for smaller/lighter cars (that have a 6 speed vs. my 5 speed.)

The only thing I was trying to say in this thread is that I don't agree with power curve of the S2k engine, for what the car is (and the price) it's a fun little car. I would just hate having to wind an engine out over 6k to pull, even getting ahead of someone at a stoplight or something if you had to get over. It would just get old.

dave22 11-14-2004 04:51 PM

:D

I went back and looked at my post and it seemed a little arrogant. Sorry about that. My point in all that was a race between an E36 and an S2000 with similar mods would be closer than the torque figures alone would suggest. That is all.

I'd still be up for a friendly match-up or even taking you for a spin if I can round up a stock S2000. More than a few people have been surprised by how fun a ride it is. :)

BLACKTURBOS2K 11-14-2004 05:11 PM

No IC...next on my list. They make an air/liquid with a heat exchanger for my kit. It's pretty nice. Larger radiator core would also be nice. I know some Japanese companies make them, but I would love to save a buck or two and grab it from a homegrown company. I'll take a look for it. The only thing I have keeping my car cool is an oil cooler.

If I was you I would go for the Liq-Air. They are more complex but they have less pres. drop and from what I here work better. Where would you have room to put a large air-air? I had to take off my stock oil cooler because the oil filter would not clear the turbo. I want a new one but I dont know where I can T off of. I have a T on my oil pres. switch and there is one more that I know of but I am not sure if it will hurt the oiling of the motor??? I found a oil cooler kit but it was about $700. I say get the water to air, turn up the boost and retune it. You should beable to get 20-30 more Hp. The Koyo for my car is $550. It has 2 cores, all Alum. You should check it out

E36DJ 11-14-2004 05:18 PM

:D

I went back and looked at my post and it seemed a little arrogant. Sorry about that. My point in all that was a race between an E36 and an S2000 with similar mods would be closer than the torque figures alone would suggest. That is all.

I'd still be up for a friendly match-up or even taking you for a spin if I can round up a stock S2000. More than a few people have been surprised by how fun a ride it is. :)

I don't know if I would be surprised, I've wanted a roadster for a LONG time. The first car I really drove was an M3 vert a couple years ago through Great Falls (georgetown pike.) I've wanted a very/roadster ever since. However, for $1500 more I'd rather have a Z4. :)

Brian T 11-14-2004 05:20 PM

If I was you I would go for the Liq-Air. They are more complex but they have less pres. drop and from what I here work better. Where would you have room to put a large air-air? I had to take off my stock oil cooler because the oil filter would not clear the turbo. I want a new one but I dont know where I can T off of. I have a T on my oil pres. switch and there is one more that I know of but I am not sure if it will hurt the oiling of the motor??? I found a oil cooler kit but it was about $700. I say get the water to air, turn up the boost and retune it. You should beable to get 20-30 more Hp. The Koyo for my car is $550. It has 2 cores, all Alum. You should check it out

Well if I went air/air it would be some sort of custom setup. I've seen it for the Top Secret turbo for my car. You have to get rid of the muffler(the muffler coils up and down the rear of the car) and go straight-through from the headers and you have plently of room behind the motor. Liquid/air seems to be a much better idea. It'll definitely make my car alot more trackable. Unfortunately my turbo is very small and will pass it's efficiency range at around 10psi, so that should be about as high as I ever get. I imagine that's around 200whp though. It's plenty.

BLACKTURBOS2K 11-14-2004 05:58 PM

Well if I went air/air it would be some sort of custom setup. I've seen it for the Top Secret turbo for my car. You have to get rid of the muffler(the muffler coils up and down the rear of the car) and go straight-through from the headers and you have plently of room behind the motor. Liquid/air seems to be a much better idea. It'll definitely make my car alot more trackable. Unfortunately my turbo is very small and will pass it's efficiency range at around 10psi, so that should be about as high as I ever get. I imagine that's around 200whp though. It's plenty.

I would go water-air if I was you. Less pres. drob and a lot less piping. What about a top mount air-air. No piping and you have the vent right there, put a small fan there. If you got a good I/C set up and 10lbs you should be over 200rwhp, maby 220 or more? The cooler air will help so much

BLACKTURBOS2K 11-14-2004 05:59 PM

What muffler do you have? I know the stock one is huge!

Brian T 11-14-2004 06:36 PM

I have the TRD muffler. I'll probably whack that off and run a pipe from the cat if just for the sake of the weight savings. It's just as huge as the stock one. Bigger in fact. The water/air kit has been made available for awhile now, but I'm unaware of any MR-S using it except the demo car it was installed on. I'm not even sure what kind of numbers it'll produce.

http://monkeywrenchracing.com/cgi-bi...es/mwrpeic.jpg

S2K_Guy 12-25-2005 05:01 PM

arielmotors.com i think......

Flite 12-25-2005 05:09 PM

Jesus H Christ, why did this thread come back from the dead?

turbo98 12-25-2005 05:10 PM

ban

gear 12-25-2005 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by shy_guy98ex
arielmotors.com i think......

ban this fucking moron.

Bandit 12-25-2005 06:37 PM

why? seriously...why?