Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

S2000 people, need insight

Old 11-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Slammedxpert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush
Default S2000 people, need insight

Alright. I'm in somewhat of a debate with myself. I keep telling myself, I want to finish building this four door but I also want to get into something a little newer. I want to stay Honda and Honda only. Here's whats keeping me in a toss up..

With the four door,

I'll have a great turbo setup, I wont settle for less than 500whp. Fresh paint, it'll look good and it will be pretty fast. BUT. It's an older Honda, still FWD more miles, wear, doesn't have much re-sale value and I'll be dumping a lot of money into it.

The S2000.

I love how they look, most of them just need a lip, good set of wheels and a drop and bam, instant beauty. They are RWD, So I could have a lot more fun with it. I see a lot of people turbocharging them, I'm sure I would do the same. I've always loved them when done tastefully and not tacky.

However, I am 6 foot 3 and I don't know how comfortable of a ride it would be. I've never ridden or driven in one. Is it a feasable daily driver? I don't know a damn thing about them like I do Ef/EG/Ek's. The s2000 is like a whole nother' world to me.

What are your guy's opinions?

Sell the build parts for the four door and the four door itself?

or

Keep the four door and continue to build the fuck out of it.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Full-time New Guy

Scottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud ofScottyk6 has much to be proud of
Default Re: S2000 people, need insight

What sucks about modified cars is that you won't get the money you put into it back when you resell it. Try seeing if you can get someone to let you test drive the S2000, because I think some tall people actually fit, but I'm not sure. If it were up to me, I'd get the S because it's newer and might be more reliable. I don't know, I just have a thing for newer cars. Plus, if you change your mind and decide to sell the S, you'd get more of your moneys worth even though it seems like the value does depreciate at a fairly decent rate.

I probably shouldn't even be replying to this thread, I don't own an s2000.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

The S2000 is an automotive masterpeice, mostly the stuff people don't know about is what makes it that. However, it was made by Jap size people, for Jap size people. There are plenty of big guys that have them and mod the drivers seat to sit lower and also by adding the hardtop you get a little more head room. But you are in a cockpit. Just go sit in one and see how you like it. I had mine for 3+ years as a daily, but I'm not going to lie it got annoying when you can't transport what you need. I'm also 5'8" 155lbs and fit perfectly in it. The level of fun and direct conection with the road made up for all of the inconvienences.

If you decide you can deal with the size, make sure you drive the 2000-03 and the 04+ models. Personally I think the early models are the best. I find the newer engine to be less fun and I prefer the styling of the older model.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:09 AM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

I'm not really sure how you could compare the two cars fairly, the S2000 is leaps and bounds nicer then a 4 door.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough

I wouldnt get an S2000. they look nice,but as many problems as ive seen owners have with them,you would be better off saving your money for the future.

I dont see how hard it is for japanese people to make a convertible top that doesnt fail after 5,000 miles of driving. That right there is enough for me to say no.As well as the differential being weak as a new born baby,uhh uhh. Its not a car that you can modify if you dont have a substantial amount of money.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Works on S2000's.

C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory

Go and test drive one. I'm 6'1, and I fit fine. The hardtop def gives more head room. I also prefer the 00-03 over the 04+.

Originally Posted by Murda'dOut4V
I wouldnt get an S2000. they look nice,but as many problems as ive seen owners have with them,you would be better off saving your money for the future.

I dont see how hard it is for japanese people to make a convertible top that doesnt fail after 5,000 miles of driving. That right there is enough for me to say no.As well as the differential being weak as a new born baby,uhh uhh. Its not a car that you can modify if you dont have a substantial amount of money.
I'm not really sure what you are talking about? I've had my S2000 over 2 years, it has 65,000 miles on it, and my convertible top hasn't failed yet. No rips, no wear marks, works as good today as it did in 2003. I also have a 4.77's in the rear end, and it is def not as weak as some people think. But, I do agree with you saying that it takes a substantial amount of money to modify it tastefully, with quality parts.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Well, I'm just kind of sick of the FWD thing. But I also love it at the same time, I just hate having power and not being able to turn much at all. I think I'm going to try and go Test drive a S2000 tomorrow at a dealership or something. Any car you modify correctly, you have to have a substantial amount of money. So that, isn't a worry of mine. I don't know, keep the info coming guys!
Old 11-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Works on S2000's.

C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory

S2000 parts are def not cheap.

Suspension (Koni's/GC): $1000
H/T (Honda OEM): $3000
Front Lip (Honda OEM): $350

Then you have to figure out if you're going F/I or not. Because bolt ons don't do much.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Slammedxpert

Originally Posted by C Ory
S2000 parts are def not cheap.

Suspension (Koni's/GC): $1000
H/T (Honda OEM): $3000
Front Lip (Honda OEM): $350

Then you have to figure out if you're going F/I or not. Because bolt ons don't do much.
Well, I normally spend about 1,000 on my suspension anyway. I thought Hard tops were a little cheaper! Holy shit. I guess I've seen them go for like 1k on here. I bought a chargespeed front lip for my four door and that was 380.

I'm definatley (cant ever spell that right) going to go test drive an S tomorrow. I really do like them and once I get back on my feet, I will sell everything I have and eventually sell my four door and use the money towards buying the S.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:44 AM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

I'm 6'2" and I fit fine.

Quick Reply: S2000 people, need insight