Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

RX-8 owners.. ex-owners.. a minute of your time..

Old 12-31-2008, 06:06 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1slowxr4ti has disabled reputation
Default Re: RX-8 owners.. ex-owners.. a minute of your time..

dont buy an rx8. i beat one with a 2500$ car. but they do look sexy as hell.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:20 AM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Originally Posted by Cman, Dude.
I know it wasn't 3, I doubt Mazda would've apologized over 3 horsies.

I'm actually pretty sure it was in the 20s....
The initial release was having them rated at less than the FD. Those were rated at 255. That's why I can't remember if it was 240 or 250 hp. That's where my 3 or 13 hp came from.

Mazda did the same thing with the NB Miata. And Ford did the same thing with the Cobra ('99, IIRC). I guess they get caught up in the magazine and TV hoopla and over-hype the cars.
Originally Posted by 1slowxr4ti
dont buy an rx8. i beat one with a 2500$ car...
Sweet.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:37 AM
Registered Member

1990CRXSi has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 1slowxr4ti
dont buy an rx8. i beat one with a 2500$ car. but they do look sexy as hell.
lol.. my friend WALKED a Modena in the streets with his EVO9.. but you can't say don't buy a Ferrari (not that I ever will.. but..) the RX-8 isnt a drag car anyhow.. everyone knows that.. and thats kinda why I want it.. looks sweet, probably the most versatile sports "coupe" ever.. if you can call it that, and its fast enough for me.. the day I get a 2nd car is the day my current daily EK hatch goes on blocks and becomes a rapist..

anyways.. thanks for everyones input!! greatly valued! keep it comin if there's anyting else i should know

Last edited by 1990CRXSi; 12-31-2008 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:50 AM
Inglip 2012

WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner WanganRunner

RX8's are a lot of fun.

Think of it as a 4-seat S2000, don't try and compare it to a Z or a 911.

It's only really that much fun up high in the rev range, which is fine for me, as I don't much care about low-end as when I'm trying to drive fast, I'll always be revving the hell out of it. Whether or not it pushes me back in my seat after every traffic light is a non-issue, IMO.

Some people like that, so they should buy Z's, C5's, or something else.

Much softer suspension than an S2k though. I actually think it's about perfect for touring and normal driving, but if you're going to hit the track on the regular you might want to look into something stiffer.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:02 AM
da dragva kokopelli

mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz mike nagz

the few i drove one being a 07, i loved it.

never owned one, but it is the most comfortable driving car i ever drove. i loved it, even tho i got into the car biased thinking it was a piece of shit....... boy oh boy was my mind changed. i like the rx8's for the driveability factor.

i hate the 911 model vw bugs....
Old 12-31-2008, 09:34 AM
DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok

Fuck the clutch pedal placement in an RX8.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 AM
mmmmmm

Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake

Originally Posted by The Wok
Fuck the clutch pedal placement in an RX8.
I never noticed anything weird about it.

I test drove an 07 but was not ready to buy yet. I went in just with the fact that I love my rotary engines. Car was comfortable to drive and sit in, buddy sat in the back seat and said it was pretty nice as well. I drove a white one which is what I would have bought as well. I have more people stare at me at red lights then I ever have in any other car, in good ways mind you. I think it was a sign that I found the car I should be buying.

Last edited by Harold_Fastwake; 12-31-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:17 AM
(. )( .) & 8====>

Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin' Kim Jong Illin'

i think it one of the most comfortable cars i've ever driven. handled well, made some good noises, and very well balanced. with it fully loaded with options, i would love to daily one.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Indeed

BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX BlackEX

I had an 04 with the 6 speed.

I'll start off with: THE BAD

It got 13-15 mpg city and 18-19 hwy.

The flooding problem pissed me off. Nothing is more annoying than waiting for your car to get all the way up to operating temp just to move it from the street into the driveway.

It's also annoying as fuck when your brand new car won't start in the 7-11 parking lot because it was only two blocks from your house to the store and you forgot and shut it off.

By the time I had reached 1000 miles the oil was turning a milky white (most likely coolant) and it idled rough as fuck. According to Mazda there was nothing wrong with it.

The AC was weak as shit. On a hot day (90 degrees or so) with the AC on full blast doing 70 on the interstate it was still uncomfortably hot in the car. Mazda said there was nothing wrong with it.

It was weak as shit. I swear my mom's Lincoln Continental would beat it from 0-100. The window sticker claimed 238hp, it felt more like 138. When I test drove it I didn't beat on it since it had exactly 2 tenths of a mile. I'm a stickler for the break-in period.

Held value like a rental fleet Daewoo.

I traded it in with 3700 miles. By this time the milky substance was starting to clump up on the dipstick and it was still idling like shit. Mazda still said there was nothing wrong with the car.

THE GOOD:

Quiet inside when cruising.

Stock radio sounded very good.

Probably the best handling car I've ever driven.

CLIFFS: If you're going to buy a used one I would advise you to be very careful with your selection. My neighbor across the street has an 04 RX-8 and he says he's never had a problem with it. Maybe I just got a lemon.

Last edited by BlackEX; 12-31-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:06 PM

Will's Fiero is on a distinguished road

Rotaries will ALWAYS get bad gas mileage. Get used to it.
The long, thin combustion chamber/space has a terrible surface-area-to-volume ratio that "leaks" a lot of heat into the cooling system. This, incidentally, is why high powered FD's are difficult to keep cool.

Beyond that I know nothing about RX-8's.

Quick Reply: RX-8 owners.. ex-owners.. a minute of your time..