Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

RWD vs FWD (vs AWD...?)

Old 05-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Shortbus never came.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway
Default RWD vs FWD (vs AWD...?)

I'm writing this topic just for everyone to express opinions. I dont want to be bashed on this. I would like to take this opportunity to hear from what others have to say about their own viewpoints.

I would like to understand whats great about FWDs because I am having a hard time thinking up some reasons myself. I know MOST of the forum consists of FWD users.

I am a RWD guy. I have a 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S which I like to use as a dd and drift car and attend some drift events. So coming into this forum, you guys are aware that I came from a drifting community rather than drag racing, autocross, or street racing. I have had a 1996 Blazer 4x4 for about 3 years before that and only use 4wd in the winter since I live in the mountains and it is MUCH needed. During high school, I liked spinning my rear wheels pulling out of my gravel parking spot.

I believe that a RWD driver can achieve more and better skills than a FWD person. One reason is that, for example, bad weather. Whether its rain or snow, if you are able to go through the mountains or through town and handle your car (in a skilled and/or safe manner) you are more skilled. Anyone can take their front steerable driven wheels and point to where they want to go and basically step on the pedals.

When you think of RWD, the car has forward controls at both ends of your car, I'm talking about driveability in the rear wheels and steering for the front wheels.

If your RWD car has a LOT of power or boost, you can learn how to handle the car and prevent or limit the amount of fishtailing. FWD cars: Just point the wheels to a direction and go.

As for the gas mileage perspective, I dont think anyone on here cares. I dont think gas prices tell someone to get a RWD or FWD car.

As for the HP perspective, you lose some HP in your RWD platform and almost none with your FWD transaxle. I dont think this matters either because we have a WIDE range of people on here with HP add-ons and mods done on each car, so we can't prove that the average FWD car generally recieves more HP usage (less HP loss during transfer) than the average RWD car.

As for weight distribution, having a rear axle helps add more weight to the rear end. For FWD cars, everything's up front.

Without using the words "they are popular cars and easy to mod" and stuff like that, tell me what is so good about FWD cars.

Also, I have a Subaru WRX (AWD for those of you that dont know.) Although I'd like to have 2 wheel tire spin every once in a while, I can sacrifice that to have a safe and reliable car and is good for all kinds of weather and terrain. Plus, AWD cars have better power distribution for better acceleration. I got one because I live in the mountains and I'd like a car that has AWD, good reputation in stock form, good power in stock form, and has good gas mileage.

(I'll add to this when I think up of more.)

Again I dont mean to offend anyone, we all obviously won't agree to the same one thing but we're all human, these are just my thoughts.

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:17 PM

Kim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud of
Default Re: RWD vs FWD (vs AWD...?)

Originally Posted by HerNameIsSway
I'm writing this topic just for everyone to express opinions. I dont want to be bashed on this. I would like to take this opportunity to hear from what others have to say about their own viewpoints.

I would like to understand whats great about FWDs because I am having a hard time thinking up some reasons myself. I know MOST of the forum consists of FWD users.

I am a RWD guy. I have a 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S which I like to use as a dd and drift car and attend some drift events. So coming into this forum, you guys are aware that I came from a drifting community rather than drag racing, autocross, or street racing. I have had a 1996 Blazer 4x4 for about 3 years before that and only use 4wd in the winter since I live in the mountains and it is MUCH needed. During high school, I liked spinning my rear wheels pulling out of my gravel parking spot.

I believe that a RWD driver can achieve more and better skills than a FWD person. One reason is that, for example, bad weather. Whether its rain or snow, if you are able to go through the mountains or through town and handle your car (in a skilled and/or safe manner) you are more skilled. Anyone can take their front steerable driven wheels and point to where they want to go and basically step on the pedals.

When you think of RWD, the car has forward controls at both ends of your car, I'm talking about driveability in the rear wheels and steering for the front wheels.

If your RWD car has a LOT of power or boost, you can learn how to handle the car and prevent or limit the amount of fishtailing. FWD cars: Just point the wheels to a direction and go.

As for the gas mileage perspective, I dont think anyone on here cares. I dont think gas prices tell someone to get a RWD or FWD car.

As for the HP perspective, you lose some HP in your RWD platform and almost none with your FWD transaxle. I dont think this matters either because we have a WIDE range of people on here with HP add-ons and mods done on each car, so we can't prove that the average FWD car generally recieves more HP usage (less HP loss during transfer) than the average RWD car.

As for weight distribution, having a rear axle helps add more weight to the rear end. For FWD cars, everything's up front.

Without using the words "they are popular cars and easy to mod" and stuff like that, tell me what is so good about FWD cars.

Also, I have a Subaru WRX (AWD for those of you that dont know.) Although I'd like to have 2 wheel tire spin every once in a while, I can sacrifice that to have a safe and reliable car and is good for all kinds of weather and terrain. Plus, AWD cars have better power distribution for better acceleration. I got one because I live in the mountains and I'd like a car that has AWD, good reputation in stock form, good power in stock form, and has good gas mileage.

(I'll add to this when I think up of more.)

Again I dont mean to offend anyone, we all obviously won't agree to the same one thing but we're all human, these are just my thoughts.

What are your thoughts?
fwd > all
Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Shortbus never came.

HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway HerNameIsSway

Explain your reasoning please. Thats what I'm trying to understand. What are the reasons?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 PM
DEY SEE ME TROLLIN

DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt

fwd cars don't really have an advantage. IMO performance cars such as the cobalt ss and SRT-4 and ms3 are fwd because they're based off of cheaper econo-boxes. I wasn't trying to say they're better in the other thread, i just thought it was odd that you think it's weird when you see people racing/modifying them. (your comment about fwd burnouts)
Old 05-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Jedi Grand Master

94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of

Next time you compose a post, take into consideration that this forum is made up of car enthusiasts. Almost every time I read one of your posts you sound as if your audience consists of 5th graders.

I like fwd cause...it's fun to see them reel in domestics at the drag strip after getting killed in the 60 foot.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Registered member

DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus

want a cookie?
Old 05-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Jedi Grand Master

94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of94 SN4KE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DisturbedFocus
want a cookie?
Sway should get a cookie for knowing a Subaru is AWD
Also, I have a Subaru WRX (AWD for those of you that dont know.)
Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 PM
DEY SEE ME TROLLIN

DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt

im not exactly sure what you're trying to say here but i think what you're saying is it takes more skill to drive a rwd car than a fwd car? Maybe in the twisties, but i think it's the other way around in a straight line. With my neon i had to launch at a certain rpm, feather the shit out of the clutch.....id have so much spin that id short shift to second and totally bog it down. On the twisties however if my ass end comes out im still done for.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Shortbus never came.

I felt that I HAD to make sure the ones that DONT know, know. Haha.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Shortbus never came.

Originally Posted by Chris@SCAutos
On the twisties however if my ass end comes out im still done for.
If you know drifting methods, you can still save your car with your RWD. Thats the Point I was making.

Once your FWD car does a 180 on you and you're driving backwards, you can only rely on your front wheels to try to "pull" away from a potential wreck, where the rear wheels get most of the weight of the car.

With RWD if you do a 180, the weight of the vehicle still moves towards the rear where you can get more help in traction and use the RWD wheels to try to prevent your wreck.

I hope this makes sense. Its physics stuff... It's simply like having more brake power on your front wheels on every car during typical stop, where most of the car's weight is transferred to the front.

Quick Reply: RWD vs FWD (vs AWD...?)