Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Review: 3M Headlight Restoration Kit

Old 07-18-2009, 02:31 PM
got 7.62?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited
Default Review: 3M Headlight Restoration Kit

Ok.. So I have been looking to clean my hazed headlights for a while.. Finally found a kit worth buying.. Cheap as shit for a remarkable fix..

$21.99 at AutoZone.. HELLS YEA!

Video

Only took me about 15 mins on each of my headlights.. But I have pretty big ones lol.. But I would highly recommend this kit.. I haft to say I was IMPRESSED

Only things you need to supply are as followed
  • Drill
  • Tape
  • Cloth
  • Spray Bottle, or Hose with mist adjustable

Finished!

It looked just like this.. but a little worse.

Last edited by eXploited; 07-18-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:34 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: Review: 3M Headlight Restoration Kit

wow...a before pic would have been fantastic to compare with...that just looks like a normal headlight..
Old 07-18-2009, 02:38 PM
got 7.62?

eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited eXploited

I know my dumbass didnt.. but I will find a pic of what it looked liked before.. 1 sec
Old 07-18-2009, 02:51 PM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Can you post back up in 30 days or so and let us know how it stands up? I have a car that I need to do something about but I heard a lot of these fixes jsut don't last
Old 07-18-2009, 02:53 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

reloadeds right on the durability part....

i own a body shop and we have done it and weeks later they are just as bad as they were...

and the products we use are not cheap...we dont even do it anymore...either replace it or just live with it...
Old 07-18-2009, 02:57 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

I used the Turtle Wax restoration kit. All I did was use the clarifying compound and it did a great job alone. They aren't where I want them yet, but I haven't felt like using the different restoring pads and putting in the elbow grease to clean em up. So far after a month and a half they look just like after I finished using the compound. I'd say it'll hold up very well, and its only like $8, a lot cheaper than the 3M.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:43 PM
got 7.62?

Ya I will get some pics after 30 days.. I mean it sanded pretty good with 3 different Grit ratings.. I guess well see though lol
Old 07-18-2009, 03:50 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz

Originally Posted by eXploited
Ya I will get some pics after 30 days.. I mean it sanded pretty good with 3 different Grit ratings.. I guess well see though lol
The Turtle Wax kit uses a clarifying compound that you rub in and then wipe off, and then you hand 'sand' using 4 different grit pads and they also supply a small squirt bottle to use while using the pads. I'm gonna eventually use the pads and see how much better it gets my headlights. I had some friends use the 3M stuff with great success, but I wanted to see if the Turtle Wax was just as good for a lot less.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:18 PM
SG

C16EFSedan has disabled reputation

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=20994

Nice write up I found for some. Not sure if it works better for durability or not but write up is still detailed none the less.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Whether a fix like that holds up to time or not depends on what the problem actually was. If the problem is haze from scratches, the fix will last until the headlights get scratched enough to make them hazy again. If the problem is plastic oxidation (usually the plastic is too dry), the fix usually won't last because you're just adding chemicals back into the plastic. Given a little time, the chemicals will get removed it will look the same. It's kind of like using moisturizing lotion after washing your hands. The lotion works for a while or until you wash your hands again.

I'm assuming that because the car is so new, and it's a Honda (very good plastic chemistry) that you just had haze scratches and the polish job should last a long time. If you have a Neon or Cavalier or something (domestics often have horrible headlight plastic) then it may not last very long because the problem is usually oxidation or UV embrittlement. Usually the newer the car, the better the plastic technology too. Modern polymer chemistry is cool.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-18-2009 at 06:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Review: 3M Headlight Restoration Kit