Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

REVERSE STAGGER FWD SETUPS

Old 12-08-2005, 02:11 PM
<3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate
Default Re: REVERSE STAGGER FWD SETUPS

Uhm, auto-x cars have been running these set-ups for a while.

Vbspec who runs a CRX uses a reverse stagger I think 15x7.5 front and 15x7 rear. Not sure of the tire sizes.

Alot of roadracers and Honda Challenge cars use set-ups similiar, so I'm sure it works, just a little more $$$ for tires and wheels.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:31 PM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

I know autocrossing Neon's have been running larger tires on the front for a while, but I've never heard of the using a larger wheel with the same size tire.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:41 PM
you suck, i know it

(F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-)

i know that the jtc dudes run a wider wheel/tire up front in a f/r car to stop the push.
is that what your geting at?
Old 12-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It's a band-aid for not having the flexibility to adjust the suspension geometry the right way. The real way to do this is to get the correct size (wider) tire for the wider front wheels. Anyway, I think it's dumb because if you're going through the effort of getting more front grip, why not match it with more grip on the back? And I dare anyone to say "friction!".. Save it, this isn't a drag setup.

I can see taking away some grip in the back of an already understeering car, but unless there are class restrictions on the type of suspension-adjustment parts you can have, this is pointless. I think this may explain the autocross connection?
Keep the wheel widths the same all the way around and change more important things like castor, toe, sway bars, weight distribution, etc. Until I see the FWD BTCC cars running a setup like this, I really doubt it's merits.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:59 PM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by l8apex
i know that the jtc dudes run a wider wheel/tire up front in a f/r car to stop the push.
is that what your geting at?
SAME SIZE TIRE FRONT AND BACK

WIDER WHEEL UP FRONT
Old 12-08-2005, 06:06 PM
you suck, i know it

(F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-)

oh, ok, thats dumb.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:09 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

The arguement about a stiffer sidewall is stupid. If that was the case, wouldn't performance cars come with stretched tired? Performance tires have incredibly stiff sidewalls as it is. There's no need to stretch them. Try learning the basics of suspension geometry first, then fix your understeer problem the right way. If you're looking for a way to oversteer because it looks cool, buy a RWD car.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:56 PM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

Originally Posted by dave22
And the reverse-stagger helps a FWD car rotate a little better to make it seem more like a RWD car, effectively reducing some of the gayness.

Of course, this method is not recommended for 80% of the FWD drivers in the world or damn near 97% of dragva. Idiots don't need oversteer (see: FWD drifting).
True, but that doesnt change the fact that FWD is gay. And besides, you can not sacrifice grip and get the rear end to come out with a proper sway bar/spring rate combination instead of "band-aid"ing the thing with a shitty tire size.