VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   Registering car question (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/registering-car-question-440829/)

IMSHAKN 05-11-2012 02:40 PM

Re: Registering car question

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic (Post 7778798)
You do not have to "register" it till you put tags on it. You do, however, need to title it in your name as soon as possible.

You will pay the sales tax and title fee, but not put tags on it. Do the repairs, get it road worthy, then put tags and insurance on it.

This.

The previous owner can report it as sold to avoid paying personal property taxes after getting rid of it. I don't know about other localities, but Chesterfield pays attention to this and will come after you for delinquent taxes, penalties and interest.

As far as registering and lying about having insurance, DMV does random checks. You will get a letter in the mail asking to provide proof of insurance for a specific period of time. If you cannot provide proof for that time period then they will hit you with huge penalties and you will probably have to file an SR-22 for a while. Trust me, it's not fun to go through this process.

Garrett93 05-12-2012 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic (Post 7778798)
You do not have to "register" it till you put tags on it. You do, however, need to title it in your name as soon as possible.

You will pay the sales tax and title fee, but not put tags on it. Do the repairs, get it road worthy, then put tags and insurance on it.

That's exactly what I thought was okay, and did. I went and titled it yesterday in my name. And then told the lady that I didn't want to register/get tags for it.

Originally Posted by POS DSM (Post 7778870)
Before you go about not registering it, make sure the city permits you to have keep your unregistered property on your own property. In Norfolk they'll just go in your backyard and tow it through your fence. Basically, blatant theft, except for its the city so it's for your own good.

I'm pretty sure Spotsylvania doesn't have anything like that. And that sounds ridiculous haha.

Computer_Nerd 05-12-2012 08:25 AM

No real cost to insure it then put a "hold" on the insurance, stating that it's immobile to the insurance company so that you don't get charged for it. Not sure of the term used for insurance like this. I did it with a car I had (it was not my daily driver). Pretty much it's like keeping it in storage and it's not at risk. Benefit to the insurance company is that it's already on your policy so they aren't afraid that you're going to switch carriers.

Garrett93 05-12-2012 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Digital4N6 (Post 7779611)
No real cost to insure it then put a "hold" on the insurance, stating that it's immobile to the insurance company so that you don't get charged for it. Not sure of the term used for insurance like this. I did it with a car I had (it was not my daily driver). Pretty much it's like keeping it in storage and it's not at risk. Benefit to the insurance company is that it's already on your policy so they aren't afraid that you're going to switch carriers.

I'd rather just not tell anything to the insurance company. I don't plan on changing and already have my daily on there. Not having it on insurance just gives me one less thing to do/worry about at the moment, if you know what I mean.