VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   Registering car question (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/registering-car-question-440829/)

Garrett93 05-11-2012 09:48 AM

Registering car question

I know this is a DMV related question but I figured I"d put it up here for more information.

If I just recently bought an older e30 that was wrecked, do I need to register it right away? Since it was wrecked, I do not plan on driving it anywhere until I get that fixed, which could be awhile. To obtain registration I know that you need proof of insurance (Right?), so I'm trying to beat around the whole insuring the car right now, when I can't even drive it anywhere. So my question is, will I be able to just title the vehicle in my name and just leave it at that, until I get it running?

83Stang5.0 05-11-2012 09:52 AM

Re: Registering car question

They just ask if you have insurance, you can just say yes. I've never had them request proof upon registration.

And no you don't have to register it right away, people hold titles for years before they register them, for various reasons. I've never had anyone question me about the time between a bill of sale and actual registration.

You can also register without insurance, then usually you get 6-8 months before they send you a letter asking for proof of insurance, giving you a month to either provide insurance or return your plates. You can return the plates, then return the next day and get new plates, no questions asked, and just rinse and repeat. Another 6-8 months without bother.

I've been doing it for years, VADMV can EAD

BAN HAMMER 05-11-2012 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 83Stang5.0 (Post 7778708)
They just ask if you have insurance, you can just say yes. I've never had them request proof upon registration.

Until they send you a letter saying that they cannot verify your information for insurance. They do check that shit.

83Stang5.0 05-11-2012 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by DonkeyPunch (Post 7778716)
Until they send you a letter saying that they cannot verify your information for insurance. They do check that shit.

Read a little fucking further

BAN HAMMER 05-11-2012 10:02 AM

So wait, you drive around without insurance?

83Stang5.0 05-11-2012 10:06 AM

...I don't have any cars in my name, but yes I did it for years, never been in an accident that was my own fault, so if you can handle driving like a responsible adult, then you shouldn't be mortally terrified to set out behind the wheel without insurance.

DISCLAIMER: NO, IM NOT SAYING IT'S OKAY TO DRIVE WITHOUT INSURANCE FOREVER AND EVER, BUT MY POINT IS THERE ARE LOOPHOLES FOR THINGS LIKE THIS.

im_a_JdM_FruiT 05-11-2012 10:33 AM

I know dmv has a rule making the buyer responsible for registering the vehicle within 30days of purchase or some shit like that. If you don't plan to drive it any time soon you can always just register it and request no license plates at the moment. The insurance thing is just a question and anyone who is dumb enough to say no better pay the $500 uninsured motorist fee. Regardless property tax is based on the purchase date so if you can manage to hold out for a while then you save the money from property tax for that time.

eXploited 05-11-2012 10:40 AM

I have registered MANY cars without adding them to my insurance, well over 90 days without them sending me a notice.

HatefulMechanic 05-11-2012 11:02 AM

You do not have to "register" it till you put tags on it. You do, however, need to title it in your name as soon as possible.

You will pay the sales tax and title fee, but not put tags on it. Do the repairs, get it road worthy, then put tags and insurance on it.

POS DSM 05-11-2012 12:08 PM

Before you go about not registering it, make sure the city permits you to have keep your unregistered property on your own property. In Norfolk they'll just go in your backyard and tow it through your fence. Basically, blatant theft, except for its the city so it's for your own good.