Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Re-dyeing racing seats

Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 AM
formerly Black_Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken
Default Re-dyeing racing seats

has anyone had experience with restoring faded racing seats? i'm thinking about buying some faded tenzo's but thats only if i can restore the color without having to worry about the seats bleeding on my back later down the road. any input would be helpful. thanks fellas
Old 01-15-2008, 04:27 AM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation
Default Re: Re-dyeing racing seats

Yes to fading seats...

and no, to anything that will restore them back for any real length of time.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:34 AM
formerly Black_Man

Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken Fried_Chicken

so you haven't had any experience with restoring them or are you against it all together?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

Yes I have tried several different dyes several times. For the first few months afterwards the seats looked brand new...but slowly they'll start to fade again so that six months later, they'll be just as faded as they were when you started.

I never messed with the cheap spray dyes that you can buy in the stores. I got my dyes from paint dealers or upholsterers.

Btw, if you every ask a upholsterer, you'll probably get the same answer.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:34 PM
formerly Black_Man

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi
Yes I have tried several different dyes several times. For the first few months afterwards the seats looked brand new...but slowly they'll start to fade again so that six months later, they'll be just as faded as they were when you started.

I never messed with the cheap spray dyes that you can buy in the stores. I got my dyes from paint dealers or upholsterers.

Btw, if you every ask a upholsterer, you'll probably get the same answer.
thanks for the input, you made my decision easy...i'll just get brand new ones
Old 01-19-2008, 06:46 AM
No Rep, No Respect..

NeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the roughNeverEnough is a jewel in the rough

If you are in the NN area go to Moody's Body Shop Supply near Hilton and ask them for some Carpet and Upholstery dye. I can't remember the brand name but the stuff is GREAT! I changed a complete interior from Maroon to Black with the stuff and it still looking great after almost 5 years. It's expensive, about $20-30 a can, but well worth it. 1 can should do it for two seats as long as you aren't changing the color. I also used their Vinyl dye and it worked great too. I used it restore some cushions on my boat, and they look as good as new after 2 years of use. No cracking or flaking at all...
Old 01-19-2008, 07:13 AM
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 4dr vtec
has anyone had experience with restoring faded racing seats? i'm thinking about buying some faded tenzo's but thats only if i can restore the color without having to worry about the seats bleeding on my back later down the road. any input would be helpful. thanks fellas
i actually sold my tenzo r racing seats for this exact reason. everyone i took them to said it would only last for a year and theres a chance that the dye can get on my clothes and i spend too much on my clothes as it is.