Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

question for you AWD guys(GSX, WRX, etc..)

Old 02-05-2004, 06:46 PM
OM NOM NOM E30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87 JETSWU87
Default question for you AWD guys(GSX, WRX, etc..)

How is your power split up between the wheels? I've always been curious on this....
Old 02-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay
Default Re: question for you AWD guys(GSX, WRX, etc..)

Well, here's my .02....

The VR-4 is equipped with a full time all wheel drive system. It directs power to a center differential that incorporates a limited-slip viscous coupling. In normal driving conditions when the front and rear tires are getting equal traction, the torque split is 45 percent front and 55 percent rear. As a result, the VR-4 maintains a rear-drive handling bias under normal conditions. When there is a difference in the rotational speed of the front and rear wheels, addition torque is sent to the axle with great raction, which, in this case, would be the wheels that are turning more slowly. The rear limited slip differential works in the same way, as it shifts power left to right according to the traction of each rear wheel. Regardless of the traction conditions, the AWD system shifts torque so quickly and smoothly that the driver senses no unusual power transfer.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:18 PM
INCONCEIVABLE!

MeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to all

i think the gsx's are around 60/40 and with a welded center diff makes it an even 50/50. I like the idea of the sti's with the electronic controled center diff where theres a switch to adjust the bias
Old 02-06-2004, 01:55 PM
1 of 45

SupraDOc SupraDOc SupraDOc SupraDOc SupraDOc SupraDOc SupraDOc SupraDOc SupraDOc SupraDOc SupraDOc

50/50 65/35 anywhere in between you name it well almost
Old 02-07-2004, 09:33 PM
WRX 0-60: NOW!!

MegaH_MaN has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i dont really know, but i know that when i launch i can make all 4 tires scream and a friend beside me said he saw smoke come from my rear tires....sorry i know that didnt help...just felt like sharing...
Old 02-09-2004, 05:44 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally Posted by MeanGreenGSX
i think the gsx's are around 60/40 and with a welded center diff makes it an even 50/50. I like the idea of the sti's with the electronic controled center diff where theres a switch to adjust the bias
yeah its 60/40 welded diff anyone?
Old 02-09-2004, 07:48 PM

ALLTRBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Sean and Nick, you guys are wrong. DSM's have a 50/50 split via a viscous coupling that "locks" front and rear when one tries to lose traction, or any time it tries to spin at a different rate than the other.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm not into cars

reXer has disabled reputation

wrx is 50/50

R34's have the best awd system out there for racing.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:20 PM
INCONCEIVABLE!

MeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ALLTRBO
Sean and Nick, you guys are wrong. DSM's have a 50/50 split via a viscous coupling that "locks" front and rear when one tries to lose traction, or any time it tries to spin at a different rate than the other.
actually your wrong its 60/40, the center diff, only sends 40% of power to the rear, its a front wheel biased car. Only after you lock the center diff is it 50/50, why else would there be any reason for people to weld them other than they broke it.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:32 AM

ALLTRBO is an unknown quantity at this point

Posted by Taboo on DSMtalk...

"There's no "stock bias of the transfer case". Our cars are AWD, not 4x4. We don't have any 50/50, 80/20, 60/40 - or whatever - power distribution.
You could permanently convert the AWD system to 4x4 by welding the center differential or the viscous coupling, or replacing the viscous coupling with a spool (which locks the center differential) but even doing so would not allow you to run different size of wheel/tire combos since there's nothing to regulate the front/rear power distribution with."

I basically meant 50/50 when it's "locked", like I said. Even power goes to F/R. This excerpt from a '90 factory manual explains what I mean (All DSM AWD's work the same).

"1990 Talon Technical Information Manual, Section 21 (Transaxle), page 9, "The center differential which distributes power to the front and rear wheels normally operates at a 50 to 50 ratio." ... "Half the drive power distributed by the center differential is transmitted through the front differential to the front drive shaft. The other half of the drive power distributed by the center differential is transmitted through the transfer, the propeller shaft and the rear differential to the rear drive shaft."

Just for reference...

All this, and more info, is from this thread.
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showth...ght=drivetrain

Last edited by ALLTRBO; 02-10-2004 at 06:35 AM.

Quick Reply: question for you AWD guys(GSX, WRX, etc..)