Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Question for you 240sx guys and girls

Old 07-26-2004, 04:10 PM
I drive real slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subaruboy has disabled reputation
Default Question for you 240sx guys and girls

I think I'm looking to buy an S14 in the spring, maybe sooner if I can afford it.

I'd prefer a '98, but would go back as far as '96 if I had to (don't want anything older than my monte).

Besides that, I'm only considering a stick shift, and the car has to have a max of 90k miles on it.

What kind of price am I looking at? From recent observations, I'm thinking $8k... is that too low, or about right?

I think I want an SE, maybe an LE... but I think LE only came with the auto tranny? If I'm right about that then an LE is out of the question.

Also, what about LSD? What years/models came with it? I read it was standard on the all wheel steering models (which I do not want). Was it only an option on all other models, and if it was, about how much would the cost be?

Finally, as for building the car, I was thinking start with the obvious intake and exhaust, then suspension, and then going all motor. Suggestions/ opinions on exhaust? I read the A'PEXi N1 Dual was decent. Anyone use this? I HATE loud exhausts... I figure the dual will provide the airflow I need minus the obnoxious noise.

Further down the line I figure I'll buy another KA24DE and turbocharge it while on the engine stand.

Any decent success stories of going all motor with the KA, and what kind of numbers are you putting on the ground?

Thanks for taking the time to read all that ^ and thanks for any info/opinions.

~Jim
Old 07-26-2004, 06:45 PM
I drive real slow

subaruboy has disabled reputation
Default Re: Question for you 240sx guys and girls

moved? i thought i posted this in off topic? whoops... must have clicked on the wrong forum.

sorry moderators, and thanks for putting it in the right spot
Old 07-26-2004, 06:58 PM
Cut,it,out

VTFrontier

alright im just goin off the top of my head, so if im wrong im sure someone will correct me.

Price wise, you could definately get a 96ish 240 for under 8 grand, 97-98 you could probably find one, most of the nicer ones ive seen have been around 10-11 last time i looked.

in S14s, the LEs did not have antilock brakes or the LSD. I think all the SEs do.

I dont think the 240 came in an AWS model? i may be wrong but im pretty sure there wasnt one.

All the people ive known with apex exhausts have been pretty loud. I personally like the sound of the Greddy ones better. (Note none of these were on 240s)

And ive never heard of anyone going all motor with a KA. Theres a couple people with boosted kas on here tho.

edit: they do make the LEs in 5 speeds. i knew a guy with a 97 LE 5 speed, that may have changed from 95-96. dont know?
Old 07-26-2004, 07:01 PM
eng
Administrator

eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng eng

I'll try to answer as much as I feel like writing ... but you need to look up this stuff for yourself too. I could very well be wrong
Originally Posted by subaruboy
I'd prefer a '98, but would go back as far as '96 if I had to (don't want anything older than my monte).
If you're willing to get the 95-96 model years do that, they're MUCH cheaper than the 97-98.
Besides that, I'm only considering a stick shift, and the car has to have a max of 90k miles on it.
Why the limit on miles? In general KA are good for much more than that not to mention you have plans on building a KAT. I'd take off that miles restriction, will open you up to getting more cars.
What kind of price am I looking at? From recent observations, I'm thinking $8k... is that too low, or about right?
For what you've posted that you want that's about right for a 97+ subtract a few K for a 95-96 with similar stats. Subtract another few K if you just happen to fall upon a deal, while not out of the question they do come by every so often.
Also, what about LSD? What years/models came with it? I read it was standard on the all wheel steering models (which I do not want). Was it only an option on all other models, and if it was, about how much would the cost be?
If you have any plans on racing the stock VLSD isn't very good. If the car doesn't come with the stock VLSD add ~$500 to get one installed, add ~$1000 for a good aftermarket LSD.
Finally, as for building the car, I was thinking start with the obvious intake and exhaust, then suspension, and then going all motor. Suggestions/ opinions on exhaust? I read the A'PEXi N1 Dual was decent. Anyone use this? I HATE loud exhausts... I figure the dual will provide the airflow I need minus the obnoxious noise.
Because of the relatively big displacement of the KA most exhausts sound fine on it.
Further down the line I figure I'll buy another KA24DE and turbocharge it while on the engine stand.
Sounds like a good plan.
Any decent success stories of going all motor with the KA, and what kind of numbers are you putting on the ground?
Some company builds KA race engines that are in the 300HP range I believe.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:03 PM
wtb scoobie snacks

musicmaniac is on a distinguished road

well if u can even find a 98 5 spd which they only made about 2000 they fetch about 15k in decent conditon so good luck with that , i doubt ur gonna find a 97-98 for less than 6 since they only made about 5000 max, even tho the s14 are harder to find than the s13 they still hold there value the most. 95 is the most common year with i think 70k made i cant remember and maybe 40k 96s, also with the all motor idea is very expensive the most i have seen done to all motor is about 230 rwhp and it was not cheap, like 6k i believe, so i for about 1k max u can ghetto rig a reliable system and make that on only 6 psi depending on turbo, t3 or greater is optimal otherwise its full boost at about 2k and u will kill the turbo. have u considered the CA motor it puts out 180hp in stock form and is 1.8L but they come fully forged from nissan and can make mad power fairly cheaply and they are cheaper than SR but a little harder to find parts but sr is like a honda shit is everywhere, and the usually price on a ca is ~1800 +sh and s13 sr redtop fetches ~2400 plus sh since all the hype for it. i cant afford either ca sr or the infamous rb(skyline) motor which rb20det is about the same as sr as far as price but 6 cyclinder instead of 4, c;mon its out a freaking skyline. but i amhopefully doin ka24det and more for suspension and drag queen fun
Old 07-26-2004, 07:03 PM
Slowest 240 EVER

ScrewD03 ScrewD03 ScrewD03 ScrewD03 ScrewD03 ScrewD03

well 98 se comes with LSD... if you want quiet get RSR mag or HKS hi-power
Old 07-26-2004, 07:07 PM
eng
Administrator

Originally Posted by VT240
in S14s, the LEs did not have antilock brakes or the LSD. I think all the SEs do.
Mine didn't
Old 07-26-2004, 07:11 PM
Cut,it,out

VTFrontier

damn....im sorry. like i said, i was wrong

didnt have lsd or antilock brakes or both?
Old 07-26-2004, 07:14 PM
eng
Administrator

Originally Posted by VT240
didnt have lsd or antilock brakes or both?
Didn't have either. In general with SEs if it has ABS it will have a VLSD.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:15 PM
wtb scoobie snacks

musicmaniac is on a distinguished road

mine doesnt have it haha o yeah mines a pignose w/a facelift

Last edited by musicmaniac; 07-26-2004 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Question for you 240sx guys and girls