Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

question on boosting a b16

Old 11-26-2007, 07:25 PM
REDRUM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90tegLS can only hope to improve
Default question on boosting a b16

alright i plan on boosting my b16a,now my question is,how much boost can this stock motor handle? eagle rods and pistons are in the motor, i dont want to take it past the limits of death cause this will be my daily driver, I read some that the map sensor is important on the boost theory so if anybody could help me out this would be great also i need to find a good place to tune this so that info would help out also thanks!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:46 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: question on boosting a b16

If there are pistons/rods in the motor. It'll all depend on the turbo and injector.

t3t4 50-60 trim, I'd do about 14psi all day long. As long as you got a good tuner.

If you plan to go over 12psi(or is it 14psi), get a different map sensor. it's easier on the tuner.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:12 AM

Foc-US2K Foc-US2K Foc-US2K Foc-US2K Foc-US2K Foc-US2K Foc-US2K Foc-US2K Foc-US2K Foc-US2K Foc-US2K

There are alot of kits out there that are made for just that motor. They mostly run 8-9 psi and you can daily on them with no problems.

Greddy, Edelbrock, Drag, Revhard, there are many of them.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:24 AM
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation

i ran 12psi on a stock motor daily, no problems or smoke.... its all in the tune tho man
Old 11-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Banned

dallasb84 is an unknown quantity at this point

i boosted a b18 with a t3/t4 and drove it for a year and a half before the head gasket blew(bad fan switch caused an overheat...not the turbo). all i had done to the car was FMU(boost referenced), check valves for the map, and retarded the ignition timing. i tuned fuel pressure and ignition timing by checking the plugs. i believe id still have the car today if the fan switch would not have messed up. i was only running 8 psi on the wastegate. and never once had a problem with detonation. i believe ur motor can handle more boost but without any type of tuning like a hondata your taking a risk. i didnt have any type of ems or tune other than what i did to get it to run good on 8 psi.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:27 PM
REDRUM

cool let me ask this if a b16 is not tuned will it run like shit and would that be the big risk to take? also witch is the best way to run the oil feed ,isn't there a kit for this?and where is a good place to get it tuned,names please.

Last edited by 90tegLS; 11-27-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Banned

i forgot to tell u i had a walbro 255 fuel pump as well... also my injectors were stock but did have to replace them because of the fuel pressures i was reaching.

i would suggest using a 5 lb spring and let the car run off the wastegate.... but i only saved 300 bux by opting out on a hondata.... i had less than a grand in my turbo kit as well. just food for thought...

im sure u can get ur car half ass tuned with a wide band and a hondata with some help from a few in here. but i would not suggest to anyone boosting a car if you dont know how to read a plug and know when ur car is detonating. even if its got rods an pistons. dont risk it is my advice but it is feasible with low boost and care....lots of care.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:13 PM
REDRUM

word thats whats up,thats what i dont want is to blow it up, cause i have never boosted my own ride, i got a gst but thats stock and my teg is with a fresh jdm, motor aint even in yet,thats why i have been asking so much about this cause when i do it i want it to be right not rice, feel me? you say 5lb spring what do you mean?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

GlfDaddy has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dallasb84
i forgot to tell u i had a walbro 255 fuel pump as well... also my injectors were stock but did have to replace them because of the fuel pressures i was reaching.

i would suggest using a 5 lb spring and let the car run off the wastegate.... but i only saved 300 bux by opting out on a hondata.... i had less than a grand in my turbo kit as well. just food for thought...

im sure u can get ur car half ass tuned with a wide band and a hondata with some help from a few in here. but i would not suggest to anyone boosting a car if you dont know how to read a plug and know when ur car is detonating. even if its got rods an pistons. dont risk it is my advice but it is feasible with low boost and care....lots of care.

ok...dont get you car half ass tuned because all you are going to do is blow ur motor up and not have anywhere close to the power you should be making. since you bottom end is built you can easily run 12 to 14 psi all day long, like jarrod said. do your shit right the first time and you will be happy and not waste money away because you tried to save a few bucks. good tuners(not sure where you are located) are matt shue in richmond. have not seen anything but excellent results from him. millenium is also a good place. def. do some research before you decide to slap a turbo kit on.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Banned

u asked if it could be done and yes it can... but id have to say dont kut corners if u want to keep the motor in one piece. do it right if u plan on boosting. dont take what i told you as advice either just as food for thought.

i did a budget project... not a daily driver. i could have cared less if it blew up the first time i cranked it....

this is not the same situation u are in...

Quick Reply: question on boosting a b16